Schiit and MQA?
Feb 28, 2016 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

schneller

1000+ Head-Fier
Does anyone know if Schiit has any plan to support MQA? Are Schiit DACs even capable through like a driver or firmware update?

Feb 29, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 7
Isn't MQA justa catchphrase for saying you can use the Master for playback with no downsampling, which basically means 24bit/96khz, something that all Schiit DACs can do? While other DACs do 32/384 the problem there is that means you'll do non-native up/oversampling as far as the file is concerned, given the industry standard and hence what are sold as "high res" tracks are almost all 24/96 anyway.

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 7
Does anyone know if Schiit has any plan to support MQA?

Sorry man, I just don't see this happening unless the whole music industry decides to release new music / re-release back catalogs in MQA or Meridian makes the toolchain free (either as in beer or copyleft) to drive adoption.

Oct 7, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 7
Shortly after MQA got to be more popular, I read on the Schiit website that they were NOT Going to do MQA.
Yeah, they've been pretty vocal and open with their position.

Oct 8, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #7 of 7
Ya, both the owners of Schiit have been pretty clear they have no desire to mess with MQA or DSD. They even talk about it in some of their vlog videos. Jason has probably mentioned it on this site too. Something to do with unless it becomes widely popular and they think it is a tech that will stick around they are not going to mess with it. They are also not big into paying to license a technology which is why their products lack some features other products might have. For example I think he said you will probably never see a product with HDMI because its a huge nightmare or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back