Scary moment; Just lost a sleeve in my ear.
Feb 9, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #16 of 27
Just push it with a pencil and pick it from the other ear...

evillaugh.gif

Feb 9, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #17 of 27
I cant believe you went an entire night with that thing in your ear. I noticed instantly and reacted like a cat with tape on its paws. I was afraid to push it further so I was going to wait for my wife to get home, but after about 15 minutes I couldn't take it anymore.

I purchased the large comply tips which don't fit my ears anyway, so I am back to yellow foamies- never had a problem with those.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same thing happened to me about 2 weeks ago with a comply tip and the E500. I looked around all over the ground where I was at for the silly thing, but couldn't find it because it was night and a gravel driveway (or so that's what I thought). My friend was saying, "Are you sure it's not in your ear?" but of course I thought she was being dense, so I dismissed her comment out of hand.

The next day I was thinking that I'd had a hearing loss. I kept asking people to repeat themselves all day! That, and my right ear was really annoying me. It wasn't until I put a Q-tip in and didn't feel anything that I said, "Well, I'll be, Ellie Mae!" I felt like Jethro on the Beverly Hillbillies. My girlfriend eventually managed to pull it out with some tweezers. It's actually still useable.

The trick with the comply tips is to reach in as far as you can and get at least one finger tip on them so you can twist them out. If you just pull on the E500 earbuds, the tips will want to stay in your ears because they have an amazing suction force.

Feb 9, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #18 of 27
How far are you sticking those things down your ears?

I mean, seriously, try not to stick them so far down they get stuck. Any little motion on my IEMs and they fall out which is somewhat annoying, but I'd rather have that than the insert getting stuck.

Feb 9, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #19 of 27
Had that problem the first time I tried Comply tips -- made the mistake of starting with the slim ones because I didn't realize how much they shrunk down. Ever since I've used the big ones and I'm careful about how far I put 'em in. Good argument for regularly changing your foamies, I think -- if the sleeve is starting to loosen up, you don't wanna use 'em any more.

Feb 9, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #21 of 27
First, thanks for all the replies and advice. Nice to know I'm not alone.

I've got my sleeves cleaned out proper-like now. I think part of my problem was the last time I just used some garden variety hand soap; you know, the moisturizing stuff with lotion. (I hate the trend towards putting lotion in everything. Nothing like reaching for a kleenex and coming away greased.)

I washed the sleeves out with some Lava (great stuff,) and a toothpick. Then I swabbed the nozzles down with alcohol. Now everything's as tight as it was out of the box. Hooray!

Just have to be a little more careful in the future. . .

Feb 9, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #23 of 27
The sleeve on my ER6i gets stuck a lot in my ear canal...I learned to get a hold of the tri-flange edge when I'm pulling it out...that solves most cases

Feb 9, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #27 of 27
Funny to see all these similar experiences. It happed a few times when I used the grey sleeves on my E3Cs. It freaked me out. I actually wrote Shure and they said they had never heard of this happening. I just keep a few little alcohol pads in my desk and clean the nozzle every now and again. That helps a lot. But the little tweezers in the Swiss Army knife I have on my key ring came in handy for more than one recovery mission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back