Scary Ety situation
Sep 22, 2004 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

Andrew Pielet

500+ Head-Fier
Yesterday I stopped by Triode electronics to get some tubes for my amp. When I stepped out of the storefront, I put my Etys in for the bus back to the Irving Park El, and by an accident, pulled one of them out of my ear. This has happened before, no biggy, but this time the triple flange STAYED IN MY EAR!! At first moment I wasn't that scared, because I could hear fine. Then I wasn't sure if it even happened because I couldn't feel anything in my ear at all. Well, I called my roomate, and he assured me he would take it out when I got home, just relax (about 45 minutes to get home).

I started to freak out on the bus because I couldn't feel it at all. To make the story short, I got home and the first thing he said was "Uhh, you gotta see a doctor". He couldn't see it in my ear at all. I pulled the top of my ear up to show him the flange edge and he barely saw it. He got some tweezers, about 3 minutes later he had a grip and took it out.

As you can guess, I am scared sh-tless to put those things back in my ear. I think the issue was I lubed them up, put it in, and the saliva got to the inside where it holds on the earpiece, and just slipped off (with the help of an accidental tug). My roomate also said I stick them way to far in my ear, but the whole thing is, they sound best jammed in there. My question to all of you Ety owners out there: Do you jam those things in? Have they ever slipped out of your ears with the flange still in? How in the world can I ever wear them again without fear?

(by the way, I don't plan on giving them away because of this scary instance)

Sep 22, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 58
i've done that twice (the same ear no less) when i don't give the tips enough drying time after i try and clean them...my uncle had to use a pair of hemastats (SP?? those surgical scissor things) each time and it's worked each time...the 1st time i was way scared for the rest of the day, and then the next day i'd forgotten about it and no problems. if i hadn't forgotten about what happened the first time, i wouldnt've done it again! but just make sure they are on the earpiece completely and completely dry, and no worries!!

Sep 22, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #3 of 58
i have a BIG BIG phobia about that crap - oh lord, let me forever stay OUT of the ear! *hugs his MS-2s*

Sep 22, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 58
man, good description.

be careful...

Sep 22, 2004 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 58
You guys use saliva? Enough to get in the middle??

I only use a tiny amount of soft water on my tingertips to barely coat the outside of flanges...

Sep 22, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
You guys use saliva? Enough to get in the middle??

I only use a tiny amount of soft water on my tingertips to barely coat the outside of flanges...

I hear KY works better. If that fails try Astroglide.
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #10 of 58
DON'T use saliva! If you get an abrasion on the wall of your ear canal, it could very possibly get infected, and that would be a real nuisance. I called etymotics about what they recommended for lubrication, and they suggested OtoEase and Otoferm: products you can find on the net, and possibly at stores that sell hearing aids. Otoease is a glycerin and water based product that is clean and safe to use with the silicon tips. Audiologists use it to lubricate hearing-aids and also when they fit you for intra canal hearing aids, or even custom sleeves for your etys or sensaphonics, etc. Otoferm is a slicon based product that moisturizes the dry skin of the ear canal and outer ear so that hearing aids can seal properly and be worn comfortably for hours! I find that using the Otoferm, the seal of the Ety's in my ear is secure, but not dry, so that if by accident it yanked out, the whole tip comes out with the ety driverl, not just the driver alone.

Hope you find this helpful!

Sep 22, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #11 of 58
Is it possible to use a miniature (18 lb tensile strength) nylon cable tie to fasten the pads tightly to the earpiece? I haven't looked at mine, but it's worth considering.

Sep 22, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #12 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
DON'T use saliva! If you get an abrasion on the wall of your ear canal, it could very possibly get infected, and that would be a real nuisance. I called etymotics about what they recommended for lubrication, and they suggested OtoEase and Otoferm: products you can find on the net, and possibly at stores that sell hearing aids. Otoease is a glycerin and water based product that is clean and safe to use with the silicon tips. Audiologists use it to lubricate hearing-aids and also when they fit you for intra canal hearing aids, or even custom sleeves for your etys or sensaphonics, etc. Otoferm is a slicon based product that moisturizes the dry skin of the ear canal and outer ear so that hearing aids can seal properly and be worn comfortably for hours! I find that using the Otoferm, the seal of the Ety's in my ear is secure, but not dry, so that if by accident it yanked out, the whole tip comes out with the ety driverl, not just the driver alone.

Hope you find this helpful!

Yeah, my audiologist gave me some sample packets of Otoease for my sensaphonics since I was having trouble inserting them. This stuff works great.

Sep 23, 2004 at 2:51 AM Post #13 of 58
Last year this exact thing happened to me. My wife dug it out with tweezers (well, she didn't dig). No biggy.

Then it happened again. It's virtually impossible to get out on your own. You need help.

I used glue to secure the flange to my E3. That worked for a while, but eventually the glue gave way.

It became obvious that the problem was the rubber stem on the flange. It had stretched out over time and was no longer hugging the stem of the phone. So I ordered a new pair of tri-flanges.

I noticed the new pair has a narrower and thicker stem. I guess this is a fix.

No problems since.

Sep 23, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #15 of 58
So Ety owners now need to bind their tips to the driver tubes with nylon, keep hemastats and family members on hand for digging, and carry tubes of Otoease around? Wouldn't you say that all these measures sort of sap the fun and convenience out of your usage of the phones??

des

Users who are viewing this thread

Back