Scary E3c moment
Jun 7, 2005 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

erikzen

06 National Meet Co-Coordinator
100% THD and S/N = 0
I just had a scary experience with my Shure E3c headphones. I was sitting at my desk listening, when the sound in my left ear started to get dull. I reached up to adjust the earphone and realized the stem was in my hand but the tip was still in my ear!

It was so far in that I couldn't even touch it. I had to get my wife to pull it out with a pair of tweezers. She had trouble getting it out and I had visions of going to the emergency room to have it removed.

This was using the small flex sleeve. I'm afraid to even put them back on now.
eek.gif

Jun 7, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #3 of 26
CRAP!

Folks, please stop posting these horror stories! One of my biggest phobias is getting something lodged in the skull via the ear - I hate IEMs with a passion (why i love ear clips so much)

BRRRR

Jun 7, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 26
Aye - now I feel better cause that happened to me & I did go to a dr. to have it removed! I was at the gym & my hubby wasn't home & I was afraid to try doing it myself when I couldn't see it. So off to the dr I went & boy did I feel stupid. I thought it was because I had used those tips on my e2c's before they had started making them for the e2c's so I had stretched them to fit & then later put them on the e3's where they were already stretched out. You better believe that I check those little things closely now before I put them in to make sure they are nice & tight on the stem!!!

Jun 7, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #8 of 26
Yeah the same thing happened to me with the same exact sleeves and it happened multiple times but each time i was able to get it out with somehting. But yeah i think it is a problem with the small soft flex sleeves. Give shure a call and let them know they might send you some new sleeves.

Jun 7, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
CRAP!

Folks, please stop posting these horror stories! One of my biggest phobias is getting something lodged in the skull via the ear - I hate IEMs with a passion (why i love ear clips so much)

BRRRR

Wow, I wonder if anyone makes bug shaped sleeves? I'd love to pull a burrowing insect out of my ear one of these days and freak everybody out. I can imagine one chewing through someone's eardrum and starting to eat their brain. Way cool!
Hey, I remember Jahn's, had a kitchen sink there once.
cool.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #10 of 26
Did the tip come off, or did the body of the canal phone break?

Funny, after years of wearing earplugs and canal phones, this does not bother me in the least. I would just have to stick a tip in the other ear to keep my balance until I got to someone with a steady hand and good nearfield vision.

gerG

Jun 8, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #11 of 26
Just the tip was left in my ear. I didn't panic but it was kind of disconcerting. I think it's time to graduate to the next size flex tip.

Jun 8, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #12 of 26
One of the Ety triflange tips got stuck in my ear canal as I attempted to remove them. After a few seconds of panic, I grabbed a pair of tweezers and was able to gently pull them out. It is a scary feeling!

What's even scarier is a quick involuntary removal of the eartips. I accidentally hit the wire with my arm and had the triflange tip quickly rip out of my ear. Thank God there was no damage. But, it really hurt for several minutes--the combination of the sudden change in pressure along with the scraping of the walls of the ear canal. Not fun!

Jun 8, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #13 of 26
I had that happen and decided the 3 flange tip etys were gona go back. The MD33 style tip is the best. I finaly cut the first and third flange off and it fit good then.

Jun 8, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #14 of 26
Yeah, I had a medium fllex sleeve get stuck in my ear one night when I put my e3c's in drunk and passed out with them in. Freaked out in the morning and actually had to go to the store to get some tweezers to pull it out myself.

I felt like a dumbass and am SOOOOO thankful I didnt have to go to the emergency room.

Still love my E3c's though.

Jun 8, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #15 of 26
I've had that happed to me several times. One time at the gym I asked the guy at the shake counter to get it out for me. He didn't mind and dug it out with a pen cap. Just put some new ones on. They wear out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back