Scarlett 2i2 vs. Schiit Magni/Modi
Apr 20, 2016 at 10:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DanielMiracle

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I am wanting to do some amature recording, and I was contemplating getting the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Upon doing some research, I have found that it has a built in dac/amp. That being said, I am currently using the Schiit Magni/Modi. Would this be a downgrade in audio quality if I bought this and used it for a dac/amp? Would I be better off buying a different recording interface instead? Thanks!  

Apr 20, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 4
i've got a 2i2 -- it's a nice piece for the price.  can function as a dac, pre-amp, audio interface, and headphone amp.

i found it to be a bit grainy relative to the schiit bifrost uber so is in its box somewhere . . . .

Apr 23, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #3 of 4
  Hey guys, I am wanting to do some amature recording, and I was contemplating getting the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Upon doing some research, I have found that it has a built in dac/amp. That being said, I am currently using the Schiit Magni/Modi. Would this be a downgrade in audio quality if I bought this and used it for a dac/amp? Would I be better off buying a different recording interface instead? Thanks!  

It's a very good recording interface but no, it wouldn't be superior purely as a DAC/Amp. Why not have both? They serve different purposes.

Apr 23, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 4
I had the same issue when I bought my Steinberg UR22 and worried about the downgrade, which it is.

Since I use to input a microphone signal when gaming, I end up using the amp/dac for headphones a lot. I like that I can blend the pre and post signals so I can hear a bit of my own voice as well when I speak.

I mostly stopped using my modi, and hook my DX80 into my Asgard 2 when I want to actually listen to my music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back