Scarlet Solo as an all-in-one PC audio solution?
Feb 21, 2021 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jason41987

100+ Head-Fier
My current PC audio setup is a Khadas Tone Board DAC which runs into an SMSL SAP-II headphone amp, and a Samson Q2U microphone. However the USB port on the Q2U microphone broke, so it's currently an XLR-only mic. However I do not have an XLR interface. I have contacted the manufacturer about getting the little daughterboard that it was attached to replaced and am awaiting a response.

So this has me thinking about what I'll do next and rethinking my setup. I could just replace the mic if I have to and continue with the setup I have. I could get a different mic, a USB dynamic mic that uses USB-C (the Audio Technica ATR2100X) and continue to use the Khadas Tone Board and SAP-II amp.

But, this has me wondering how well a Focusrite Scarlet Solo would stack up to the TB and Sap-II for a DAC/Amp. If the headphone monitoring was optional, and the onboard output DAC/Amp were good enough, I could replace a bunch of little devices on my desktop with one, free up some USB ports (which I am completely out of), and even free up some power jacks on my wall, plus gain a very easy solution for plugging my guitar into my computer as well.

But, I am wondering if there would be a noticeable loss in audio quality between it and the DAC/Amp I use now.

Feb 22, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 6
Have a look here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/motu-m4-audio-interface-review.15757/

Gives you a taste of the performance of these type of boxes.
Judging from the one you sent, and finding the article for the Scarlett 2i2 which uses the same internals as the Solo that I have an interest in, the results of the DAC look to be pretty good actually. It would seem these devices are more than capable of serving as a quality DAC. You may need a separate amp if you try to drive something with higher impedance, but if not, it seems quite doable. Now I just have to decide if I want to buy one of these devices to handle all my desktop audio, or get another quality USB mic and continue using the Khadas Tone Board.

Feb 24, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 6
I bought an interface, not the Solo, but something different that has a better quality DAC and much better stereo separation on the balanced outputs. That's something I have a question about. With an adapter, or new cable, can balanced headphones be plugged directly into the balanced outputs on the back of an interface or will the signal be too low for it? If it is possible, I may make two headphone cables, one for each ear to plug straight from the ear to the L or R on the back.

Feb 25, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #6 of 6
So, I tested the interface out as a DAC. I set the output to 32-bit 192khz matching the Khadas Tone Board and had the same music outputting to both devices at the same time, then spent some time switching back and forth. I really couldn't hear a difference at all, plus the audio interface gets significantly louder. Loud enough to become uncomfortable with my IEMs, so yeah. I am going to replace both my DAC and headphone amp with an audio interface. That frees up a USB port and an electrical socket and lets me use better microphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back