Scariest movie ever
Jan 16, 2005 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Okkler

New Head-Fier
So I picked up this movie called Altered States from the classics section of my local movie rental place. If youre not familiar with the movie, its about a guy who does mushrooms and makes his trips into reality - like bringing a rose back from a dream. This movie scared the crap out of me and when I talked to other people about it, it turns out its not even a scary movie at all. So my conclusion is its got to be the headphones.

Headphones make movie watching such a personal experience.Anyone ever watch a really scary movie on a hi-fi headphone rig?

Jan 16, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 47
Meet the Parents...

eek.gif

Jan 16, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 47
For me Jaws. All of the devil pictures like The Omen, Exorcist, Stigmata, etc. and ghost pictures like the Ring, 6th Sense, etc. just left me laughing. Pictures like Jaws about real animals in the sea that do show up occassionally to remind us of how low we are on the food chain keep me out of the water for years.

I also hate movies about serial murderers, especially if they are well done. Same reason: too real.

Btw, I always watch movies late at night with headphones, otherwise I wake my husband.

Jan 16, 2005 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 47
Exorcist
very_evil_smiley.gif

You mean, which horror films use sound in an effective way to help scare you more with headphones on? We noticed The Others did this. Not a scary film, though.

Jan 16, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 47
The 6th Sence is scary. The vomiting gost girl in the tent which was supposed the only place that was safe.
eek.gif

The paranormal scares me. You can't touch it. And I'm never sure if it does or doesn't exist.

Jaws was not scary. The documentary that followed about sharks telling that they didn't like humans because we are too bony made the movie completely unrealistic too.

Guts and blood don't scare me at all. Gross yes, scary no.

Jan 16, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowWorm
I don't scare easy, but I remember leaving the theater shaking when I first saw "Silence Of The Lambs".
eek.gif

I saw that on a hot summer night. Came out of the theather shaking as if it was the dead of winter! We were with four teenage girls and had to wait on a deserted train station for the last train afterwards.
eek.gif

Jan 16, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #11 of 47
The scariest movie that I have seen in theatres is 28 Days Later. I was so glad to see the credits roll because I knew that it was over.

However, I think that it is better to see scary movies at home. Watching a movie by yourself can often make things much more personal.

Jan 16, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #12 of 47
Juon the grudge, japanese version. The first movie in years to keep me from sleeping peacefully. And I've seen a lot of horror movies.

Jan 16, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #13 of 47
...I saw the original Mummy movie, and the scene at the beginning, where you see the first glimmer of light in the eyes of the just-alive mummy scared me like nothing else since. Not even Alien scared me so much, but it did creep me out.

Laz

Jan 16, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #14 of 47
In my book, there are disturbing movies...., (7, silence of the lambs, jaws, open water [btw, if this is based on a "true story" who was there to "tell the facts..."]) that linger in your thoughts.

Yet then there are scary, hair-raising movies, exorcist for instance, was, when I saw it when I was a 10 yrs-o kiddo the scariest movie ever. I guess it depends on the circunstance, doesn't it?

Jan 16, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #15 of 47
yeah, altered states is a classic. great visuals, but the dialog was pretty bad. the director got around this by having his actors say their lines a quickly as they could.
smily_headphones1.gif

movies i consider scary:
the shining -- scary on many levels
return of the living dead -- starts out funny, then gets real scary (from the guy who wrote "alien")
the ring (us) -- it really got to me
prince of darkness -- a movie that creates an almost physical presence of evil
schindler's list -- at certain points i wanted to hide behind my chair
the wizard of oz -- when i was five was the first movie that really scared me
alien -- nightmarish gothic horror
texas chainsaw massacre -- a truely unpleasent film, but good
poltergeist -- very skillful scares, awesome effects and score
nightmare on elm street -- feels like a real dream/nightmare, plus freddy is a hoot
hellraiser -- fascinating as it is sickening
the thing -- carpenter really knows how to make you jump

Users who are viewing this thread

Back