Scandinavian Folk
Feb 24, 2012 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

WorldsEndWombat

100+ Head-Fier
There have been threads talking about Scandinavian Jazz, which I've been immensely enjoy. However what obsess me most these days is Scandinavian Folk.
Many of Scandinavian folk musicians are singing in English, not sure if the intention is to capture fans around the globe. They definitely captured me.

Some of most favorite musicians in this genre:

• Lesli - I stumbled upon this young Swedish singer's album "sleepwalkers lament" right before dotshop close off, purely for the cover art. Man, it drove me crazy, and it's been my most listened CD in past two years.
  • Islaja - lovely Finnish girl, amazing voice, and multi-talented
  • Paavoharju - not sure if I can call them folk, or psychedelic, or experimental?
  • Jenny Hval - I played her "Viscera" album for no less than 100 times in the past year, that's the voice from Pandora box, lyrics too.
  • Phaedra - quite a few music groups with this name, I mean Ingvild Langgård, who released album "The Sea" at mighty Rune Grammofon
  • Valravn - lovely Danish band mix traditional Dane folk with heart-pumping modern electronics, tasty
  • Erik Enocksson
  • Misophone
  • Anna von Hausswolff
  • Lisa Nordström

Any other recommendations folks?

Feb 27, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 10
Try out Sorten Muld, something different, folktronica as a mixture of traditional Danish Folk music and Electronica, very original and pure!  You will either dislike it or love it! 

Anyway, there's many decades of Scandinavian folk artist that only sings in their native tongue, so I'm not sure if you have any interest in these, but many (some) of them are IMO certainly very near the same level as  Bob Dylan etc.   They just sell less albums.

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 10
You'll probably be averse to the singer-songwriter, but Ane Brun's voice is an instrument in itself. I think the fact that she's Scandinavian means I can add her into this discussion and hopefully not cause too much offense...

Feb 28, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 10
And thanks for ruining me.
I've found some good artists but there is now way to get a hold of them here in Holland.
Jåg är inte Svenska, men jåg forstör lite.
I like the sound of the language.
Initally Hennel Mankins Wallander got me into Swedish. I wanted to learn a new language at the time. I was concidering Russian when I came across Swedish. Pointless skill perhaps, but a very nice language.

I think I have to plan my next vacation to Stockholm I guess, and buy all the Swedish music I want ^_^

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #7 of 10
Sweet!
popcorn.gif
I was not able to list all I've been listened. Definitely love Sorten Muld, Ölof Arnalds & so. And yeah, Nordic folk singing in Scandinavian languages should be in majority there, and heard Finland is the country who saves most of its traditional cultural, which is of a bit of rarity in this roaring global village.
Just keep on supporting original music and buy music of what I (we) love.

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #9 of 10
Haha, lol.
Even though I didn't mean that, it's true. I don't break many things ^_^

The soundtrack of "Så som i himmelen" is also really cool. I like Isabellas Sång.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back