sbc yahoo is totally f'ing up my computer (while it's running anyways)
Aug 31, 2003 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Hajime

1000+ Head-Fier
Goose,

Thank you for the props. My legs were getting tired. I've actually had a bit of experiance with DSL and SBC (unfortunately). SBC/Yahoo is a royal pain in the butt.

Let me try to understand how you're using the DSL right now. How did they wire it in your home? Did they just activate DSL over the phone line and tell you to plug it into your computer? You would have to use some sort of router to get the phone line to a network connection. They should have sent you a Linksys router along with an installation package and instructions.

[size=xx-small]Edit: I need to learn how to spell correctly.
tongue.gif
[/size]

Aug 31, 2003 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 7
they activated my phone line and a speedstream 5100 came in the mail that i hooked up and popped in their cd for. the weird thing is that my motherboard has a ethernet jack thing but it wouldn't work, i had to use their pci card jack.

Aug 31, 2003 at 4:10 AM Post #3 of 7
hmm... i don't want to jinx it but i'm using IE and i turned off the dial a proxy server setting under tools:internet options:connections. i don't know why it was dialing or what connection it was dialing or what the hell it's supposed to do but i think that might have solved it. i'll post back later and report whether things stay peachy or go to crap again. (i can't believe i used peachy in a sentence. long story...)

Aug 31, 2003 at 4:13 AM Post #4 of 7
nope, i'm in distorted staticville again.
frown.gif

argh

Aug 31, 2003 at 4:18 AM Post #5 of 7
Well, that's odd. They may have switched to the Speedstream since I was checking them out. The Speedstream is actually more expensive for them.
tongue.gif
You don't really need a router unless you have more than one computer and you're using it to network them. The speedstream should be fine.

I'm guessing your problem lies with drivers. Did you disable the motherboard's drivers before you installed the PCI card? You might want to check and do that if you haven't already. Try this: Go to start, settings, control pannel, system, hardware, device manager, click on network adapters and disable the motherboard's network adaptors by right clicking on them and seleting disable.

If that doesn't work, try finding updated drivers by going through Windows Update and checking under drivers. See if there are any new releases for the PCI card. If neither of those work, call SBC and complain.
tongue.gif

Aug 31, 2003 at 6:03 AM Post #6 of 7
I use a Speedstream 5263 modem for Earthlink, and except for Earthlink themselves (my speed is about half of what it was 6 months ago, arrgghh!) it has been a great modem. I am using my onboard nForce2 ethernet, but have had great luck with a Linksys PCI ethernet card as well as a USB Linksys ethernet adapter. What kind of ethernet card did you get with your modem and what OS are you running, usc goose?

Apr 21, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 7
so yeah. i don't know if any of y'all read about how my sonica theatre was bugging out but i've finally figured out that the major culprit is that everytime i'm connected to the net through my sbc yahoo dsl my computer gets mad problems. everything just gets really slow and choppy after a while which i can live with, it's just that while that happens neither my mobo sound nor my sonica works. they both just get mad staticky annoying interference. any ideas? would a router or something help? i'm planning to get one as soon as sony gives me my laptop back but that's another ugly story. (freaking sony has had it for like a month, i sent it to comp usa cause i had the tap coverage thing, they ended up sending it to sony and i haven't gotten it back in over a month and no one knows anything about anything.)

props to hajime for the help the first time i was dealing with this problem but i could use somemore advice if anyone has any. it's not too big a deal though, i just have to sign off of dsl to get my computer back. but it'd be nice to work out these bugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back