SB X7 DAC - opinions?
Nov 26, 2014 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AN94BALLER

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking to buy this particular sound card / AMP combo for a new system which I will receive this January. -> http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-x7

For the price, do you guys think that this is a good product, or is there a better one near this price range? Please recommend other alternatives you know, but I will be getting a laptop instead of a desktop. I cannot use PCI based audio solutions.

The current audio I am using a headphone with a split mic/audio cable Sennheiser 363D, and it's own small DAC (running standard windows driver). Do I need to upgrade to a better headphone if I want to get the most out of the sound card?

Also, with a USB DAC like the X7, can I disable my internal soundcard and still get audio?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #2 of 7
Unless if you need the integrated speaker amp I could not see this as being the best DAC/Headphone Amp for that money. Any USB DAC will bypass onboard audio. If you want the best DAC for under $400 look at the Peachtree DAC iT. On Ebay they go for around $200 used. Get a separate headphone amp like the Objective2 and you have a very capable setup that should be better than the SB X7. The Creative is a new product so not many reviews are out. It definitely looks cool but you can probably find better especially used. Your headphones really would not benefit from such high end components. You should definitely upgrade your phones instead of spending $350 on supporting gear. 

Nov 26, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #3 of 7
  Unless if you need the integrated speaker amp I could not see this as being the best DAC/Headphone Amp for that money. Any USB DAC will bypass onboard audio. If you want the best DAC for under $400 look at the Peachtree DAC iT. On Ebay they go for around $200 used. Get a separate headphone amp like the Objective2 and you have a very capable setup that should be better than the SB X7. The Creative is a new product so not many reviews are out. It definitely looks cool but you can probably find better especially used. Your headphones really would not benefit from such high end components. You should definitely upgrade your phones instead of spending $350 on supporting gear. 

So your recommended setup is

USB -> peachtree DAC -> objective 2 amp -> headphone.

Also, the X7 combines the DAC with the AMP?

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 7
That is what I recommend. The x7 combines too much. Unless if you have passive speakers you are better off with what I suggested.

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #6 of 7
A passive speaker is a speaker that requires power from an external source from an amp. If you had passive speakers that needed an amp than the X7 would seem really useful but you don't so why pay for features you won't use? The truth is the sound probably will not be that different. My Xonar Essence ST sounded almost identical to my Dad's Teac UD-H01. With your current headphones the difference will not be major. I am confident the components I selected should sound better but at this point better is only by small margins. I would recommend getting a higher end headphone. My brother has some DT990's and you can tell they are better with my Xonar but on a phone they still sound decent. Order some AKG 7xx on mass drop or get some higher end Sennheisers if you like their sound like the HD650's or 598's. 

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 7
I just remove my Zx and replace with X7 - its better to have the sound card/DAC outside rather than inside the PC.

I thought the connectivity options are good, be it IPhone/Android/PC or Gaming console - its very easy to connect everything.
I connected Toslink Optical to my PC.
I am using both Mac and PC, thus the USB connected can be easily change between Windows and Mac

If i am lazy, i can even connect my IPhone/Ipad to it and control it via App... its good.
I am using Headphone DT770 80ohm.

Lastly,
Perhaps one can roll Op Amps to get best out of X7.

I just swap out the Op Amps 2114D with 49860NA and i thought it sounds just slightly better.

But it will be good to have a good set of speakers to go with X7
I am using Yahama HS8 for stereo ( not the best speaker)
And using Y-splitter to get my 4.1 set up for battlefield 4.

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back