SB X-Fi: CMSS-3D: Does it really make games sound better?
Oct 13, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberDuk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about EAX then? I haven't had the chance to check out the newer games that use it with proper equipment (EAX 5.0 being the newest?).

I'm about to get an amp and either a dac or a soundcard..
Basically my choices are either X-Fi (which one? dunno) and an amp (Arietta maybe) or Cantate.

EAX simulates enviromental sounds, like adding echoes to caves and such. It has nothing to do with 3D directional stuff, its completely atmosphere based.

Oct 13, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #17 of 23
Games like HL2 episode 2 don't have EAX? I am not sure. I will say that they have great directional and atmospheric sound. A flying bug sounds exactly right as it flies away and down from me. Crazy. It does sound "mathematical" in that I hear the sound in rapidly moving squares of diminishing size. This may be a quirk of my stax which have a rectangular shape. Still sounds cool though lol.

Oct 13, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #18 of 23
What games out there use some form of surround sound, instead of EAX? I could've sworn I had at least one game that used dolby digital or something like that...

It would be great to see all games go that route.

Oct 13, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #19 of 23
EAX isn't surround sound...

The most simplistic explanation of what EAX is:

EAX: A collection of reverb and occlusion DSP effects

So, it does process sound depending on the source location in relation to the "viewpoint" (and objects in between) but it isn't a surround sound algorithm, it's just DSP

I think CMSS, set up properly as mentioned by Redo in this thread, sound better for games when using headphones. I think this is because you get the HRTF (head related transfer functions) DSP from the conversion from the game's discrete multichannel audio to the headphones two channels.

EAX is just good, I always have that on when available in a game.

CMSS (set up right) with decent headphones is better than CMSS disabled, and also better than 5.1 headphones.

I wouldn't use CMSS for stereo speakers though, it just doesn't seem to work, probably because of the inherent channel cross-talk in a room compared to the separate left/right of headphones (kinda like Dolby Headphone doesn't work on speakers, only on headphones) that's how I see (hear? lol) it anyway

Oct 13, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #20 of 23
Perhaps I should've worded my reply differently...I just prefer the sound of games that use dolby digital surround sound versus EAX. I know they are different technologies, but I find that games using EAX have vastly inferior sound to those that use DD or another variant.

I think F.E.A.R. uses surround sound, and not EAX...I know at least one of my games do...

Oct 13, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #21 of 23
As for EAX on stereo, for most of my games is sounds horrible. Doom 3 it's mostly okay because the areas are generally small and look like they might reverb okay. However, in games like Call of Duty 2 it sounds ridiculously unnatural because sound doesn't reverb to such a massive extent in outside areas.

Oct 13, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulb09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, in games like Call of Duty 2 it sounds ridiculously unnatural because sound doesn't reverb to such a massive extent in outside areas.

Are you using cmss3d? Turn it off.

If a game has unnatural reverb then the game has been done poorly.

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #23 of 23
Well, I came across a 2nd hand Aria and jumped it. No need to worry anymore
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back