SB Live! Settings:2-speakers vs. headphone
Oct 26, 2003 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

master83

Head-Fier
Anyone else tried to set the "speakers" to "2 speakers" in AudioHQ ? I tried this and got a much wider soundstage and IMO much better sound in some cases. However I like to use the "headphone" settings for some songs (like Rock) but I clearly like the improvement in the sound on music like Rap and Pop.

What's the difference in 2 speakers / headphones ? arent a headphone 2 small speakers?
confused.gif

Oct 26, 2003 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 4
i have it set on 4 speakers. yes. wierd. but i also have my speakers hooked up to that card and im too lazy to change it. sounds a tiny bit better than 2 speaker mode and eons better than headphone setting.

Oct 27, 2003 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 4
"headphone" never sounded good to me when I had the live, always used speaker setting.
Same applied to the audigy 1 and the audigy 2 I have right now.

Oct 28, 2003 at 12:35 AM Post #4 of 4
This might seem a bit OT...

but i have found the headphone setting to sound very very different with CMSS on and off!!

Using Audigy 2+ Grado SR-80 and foobar for playback, with all the settings at default (16bit/no resampling):

Headphone+"CMSS off" sounds about the same as 2.1 output (regardless off CMSS) setting, maybe just a tiny tad less treble.

With Headphone+"CMSS on", the music charateristic undergoes a dramatic change of "where it is coming out from the head", and can make high quality vbr mp3s sound like 128bit ones. Treble is reduced alot, and bass is increased, but alot of it becomes very centered in position. I really dont like the sound of this setting.

Does anyone else have the same kind of experience when playing with the headphone setting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back