SB Live or Dolby Master Studio (Realtek)?
Jun 5, 2006 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

db597

100+ Head-Fier
One of my new computers has an onboard Realtek ALC882 sound card. It conforms to the new Intel HD audio standard, and is certified as Dolby Master Studio. The computer reviews I've read all say this is a big improvement from the usual AC97 codec that's given onboard sound a bad name in the last few years. It's got 7.1 channels and SNR of 103db. I've plugged headphones into it, and the background hiss is quite acceptable. No extra background noise when you move your mouse around either.

In my drawer, I also have a ~5 year old SB Live! Value sound card from a PC that's been retired some time back. I've always thought that a proper sound card is better, but the onboard sound seems quite decent now. Also, I've read in this forum that the SB Live! isn't a great performer and has poor sound quality. So do you guys think the SB Live! would be better than the Dolby Master Studio? Should I replace the onboard sound with the SB Live! (5.1 channel only, but I use headphones and don't have surround speakers anyway)? Or should I just stick with the onboard sound?

Jun 5, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by db597
One of my new computers has an onboard Realtek ALC882 sound card. It conforms to the new Intel HD audio standard, and is certified as Dolby Master Studio. The computer reviews I've read all say this is a big improvement from the usual AC97 codec that's given onboard sound a bad name in the last few years. It's got 7.1 channels and SNR of 103db. I've plugged headphones into it, and the background hiss is quite acceptable. No extra background noise when you move your mouse around either.

In my drawer, I also have a ~5 year old SB Live! Value sound card from a PC that's been retired some time back. I've always thought that a proper sound card is better, but the onboard sound seems quite decent now. Also, I've read in this forum that the SB Live! isn't a great performer and has poor sound quality. So do you guys think the SB Live! would be better than the Dolby Master Studio? Should I replace the onboard sound with the SB Live! (5.1 channel only, but I use headphones and don't have surround speakers anyway)? Or should I just stick with the onboard sound?

Not familar with your OBSC but I had a SBlive 24bit for a good long while and found it to be average. If you have the pre 24bit SBL, no way itll beat your OBSC.
If you want, make a quick restore point, jam the SBL into a PCI slot, load only the drivers and test it with your own ears. I think youll find the SBL to be worse but gotta check to know.

Jun 5, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by stmpjmp
Not familar with your OBSC but I had a SBlive 24bit for a good long while and found it to be average. If you have the pre 24bit SBL, no way itll beat your OBSC.
If you want, make a quick restore point, jam the SBL into a PCI slot, load only the drivers and test it with your own ears. I think youll find the SBL to be worse but gotta check to know.

Thanks for the reply. I've found an article on Digit-life (iXBT) that equates the new onboard sound to something similar to an Audigy 1 in terms of sound quality. So I guess it's still not great, but still better than the SB Live! Value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back