Saying goodbye to EX51's....(bye bye)
Mar 2, 2005 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sony_man

100+ Head-Fier
man i loved my EX51's! i loved their bloaty bassyness! hahahahahahahaahhaa. yeah but anyways, whats the next best earbuds. just want to know for future refrence because im tryin to save up fo da Iriver H10!

Mar 2, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #2 of 15
Do you want earbuds or canalphones? They're two different classes. The EX51s are considered canalphones.

Anyway, for canalphones, there's the usual EX71, Panasonic HJE50, Sharp MD33, Shure e2c, and Etymotic ER-6i.

For earbuds, there's MX4x0, Sony MDR-E888LP, and Audio-Technica CM7.

Mar 2, 2005 at 9:46 AM Post #3 of 15
if you liked the sony-sound but want it better, try the sharp md33s. they don't cost much and sound better than the sonys. they also have quite a lot of bass, but not that bloated and treble and mids sound much better with the sharps.
the only problem could be the 4-pole plug, which can be simply soldered to a 3-pole plug though.

Mar 2, 2005 at 10:19 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by oluv
the only problem could be the 4-pole plug, which can be simply soldered to a 3-pole plug though.

They come with an extension cable so the can be used with regular 3-pole jacks.

Mar 2, 2005 at 12:14 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sony_man
man i loved my EX51's! i loved their bloaty bassyness! hahahahahahahaahhaa. yeah but anyways, whats the next best earbuds. just want to know for future refrence because im tryin to save up fo da Iriver H10!

If you really enjoy the recessed midrange on the Ex51's, then thats ok. There are headfi'ers who go that way. One way to find out if you would like the full range of the E2, E3... etc is to try a low priced earbud, like the
excellent value $11 Senn MX400:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...106-311&depa=0

This Sennheiser earbud has a full midrange like the E2.

Mar 2, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 15
If you liked the SONY sound and think E888 is expensive, there is E931, price should be around $20, well balanced and of course SONY sound. The problem is I don't see this earphone in the US. It's very popular in Japan and most stores have and some variation like E930, ED31. Well, all those are not canal type though...

jpmikey

Mar 2, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 15
i dont really know which class, and by the way these are awesome suggestions!, but i think canal considering im a bass head and i always thought that if its in then its gooooood! like my EX51's! plus i dont think i can afford ety's or shure's.
frown.gif

Mar 2, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sony_man
i dont really know which class, and by the way these are awesome suggestions!, but i think canal considering im a bass head and i always thought that if its in then its gooooood! like my EX51's! plus i dont think i can afford ety's or shure's.
frown.gif

e2c can be had around $60.

Mar 3, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 15
The Shure E2C can be found for around $60...in US dollars. The E2C is a canalphone that has powerful bass, not as powerful as the Sony Fontopia canalphones though, and full midrange responce. They would be the canalphones I would recomend as well. They will give you a taste of the higher end canalphones with more bass than most of the other higher end canalphones. I think that you being a bass head, are not going to like most of the higher priced canalphone because most of them, E5C exculded, do not provide jaw droping, brain crushing bass like the Sony Fonotpia canalphones and to a lesser degree the E2C does.

Mar 3, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #11 of 15
Bass: EX51/71 > MD33 > E2C

I have the MD33 and the bass is not satisfactory (I'm a basshead). It's too clean and tight, and there's not a lot of extension. The E2C is even worse :/. If you want bass, buy another EX51 (same driver as EX71, so no point in shelling out more unless you want the extension cord).

Normal earbud bass is just weak.

I like to listen to music at a modest volume, so if you crank the volume all the way up with E2C and claim the bass is great... :/

Mar 3, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #12 of 15
phyrefly has a point about the E2C posibly not being satifactory for a basshead. I am a bass head, a little, a mini-bass head and the E2C isn't quite enough for most of my tastes, but it has much more bass than other high cost canalphones like I mentioned. phyreflys point about needing to crank the volume for the E2C to display its bass extension and impact does have merit. If a good quality EQ is in your source or you have one that you can use before the headphones but after the source (duh!) then you should be able to match the Fontopia canlphone for both impact and extension, well almost for extension. The E2C does have hard hitting bass capability but you have to coax it out of the headphone, remeber these were designed to sound good and be relatively accurate so they don't naturaly exadurate bass as much as the EX51.

Mar 3, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #13 of 15
I tried to raise the 100hz and 800hz by a couple of dbs on my Zen Xtra, the MD33 didn't like it
frown.gif

Does the E2C respond well to a boost in the lower ranges?

I agree with PTheD, the E2C is for people that value accuracy, it isn't really intended for bassheads.

Mar 20, 2005 at 10:39 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by oluv
if you liked the sony-sound but want it better, try the sharp md33s. they don't cost much and sound better than the sonys. they also have quite a lot of bass, but not that bloated and treble and mids sound much better with the sharps.

ehh...what does 3-pole and 4-pole means??

Mar 20, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sirauron
ehh...what does 3-pole and 4-pole means??

A 3-pole plug is what most headphones in the world have. In a 3-pole setup the plug has three different sections of metal devided by two bands of plastic or another insulating material. On a 4-pole plug there are four sections of metal devided by three insulating bands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back