Saxophone Chillout - Recommendations?
Jun 3, 2008 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Hokum

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm searching for slowish sax-heavy music, I find listening to the sax somehow quite meditative and it helps me to sleep.

The solo in Pink Floyds Shine On You Crazy Diamond or the song Playground Love by Air ( Air - Playground Love (feat. Gordon Tracks) - The Virgin Suicides | Deezer ) are perfect examples for what I'm searching for.
I just realized that it is really baritone sax music I'm searching for, I like the lower pitch.

Could you give me some recommendations on this?

thanks in advance,
Hokum

Jun 3, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 19
Dave Matthews Band and Steely Dan are two of my favorite band that feature a sax. Its more of a background thing, but they have some nice solos.

Jun 3, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kind of Blue.

it's close, but not exactly what i'm searching for. I'm not sure how explain it, but it's to jazzy or maybe to complex for me. not flowing enough, i don't know...

Jun 3, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 19
Jun 3, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #7 of 19
Check out some good John Coltrane and Sonny Rollins. If you're trying to find stuff on the slowish side, Coltrane Ballads or Soultrane. You might want to check out Saxophone Colossus or Tenor Madness from Sonny Rollins.

On the rock side, growing up on the Jersey shore I'm pretty partial to Clarence Clemens of Bruce Springsteen fame. The sax solo in Jungleland is a favorite...

Jun 4, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #10 of 19
Hello Guys,

thank you for all the tips. I ordered Getz/Gilberto, i guess everyone should own it. I'll probably take the CD by Klemmer too.

I just realised something, I think I'm searching for some baritone sax music. I don't know much about instruments, so i didn't realise that the difference in pitch means they are actually using different instruments...

Jun 4, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #12 of 19
I didn't mention Gerry Mulligan in my post above because his stuff that I've heard is not meditative. One of my favorites is Two of a Mind with Paul Desmond.

For some reason, another post I made didn't show up. A rock band that I like, that I don't consider all that mellow, although some of the music slow paced is Morphine. allmusic.com lists 2 their moods as Calm/Peaceful and Laid Back/Mellow. I'm not sure I totally agree with that but you might want to listen to samples. It's a trio with 2 string bass, baritone sax, and drums. The bass player also is sings and is a baritone. My favorite album is Cure for Pain

Jun 4, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't mention Gerry Mulligan in my post above because his stuff that I've heard is not meditative. One of my favorites is Two of a Mind with Paul Desmond.

For some reason, another post I made didn't show up. A rock band that I like, that I don't consider all that mellow, although some of the music slow paced is Morphine. allmusic.com lists 2 their moods as Calm/Peaceful and Laid Back/Mellow. I'm not sure I totally agree with that but you might want to listen to samples. It's a trio with 2 string bass, baritone sax, and drums. The bass player also is sings and is a baritone. My favorite album is Cure for Pain

I already got quite some stuff by morphine, they're brilliant. and the sound quality of 'cure for pain' is incredible, really a joy to listen to. 'Good' has some nice slow sax-heavy songs (I know you, You look like rain etc.), it hits the spot pretty good. forgot to mention them.

you're right about mulligan, too fast and complex.

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hokum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's close, but not exactly what i'm searching for. I'm not sure how explain it, but it's to jazzy or maybe to complex for me. not flowing enough, i don't know...

Yeah, when you're searching for something that seems elusive no substitute will do, but I'd say it's worth coming back to Kind Of Blue after you've found a sufficient amount of what you're actually looking for. You'll probably be in a better head-space to take it in. It really is a gorgeous album.
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe try some ballads by King Curtis, or that reggae guy Cedric "Im" Brooks. They're kinda background-y.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back