Sax
Mar 24, 2012 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kurd

Head-Fier
so lately I've been listening to covers of songs with saxophones. I wonder if there are any good saxophone players out there with real albums and stuff. cus I wanna hear more of this type of music. I guess you can call it jazz, but that can be boring sometimes. 
so if you know any good players or bands, tell me, cus I really wanna look into them!

Mar 24, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 9
For contemporary stuff checkout:
Omer Avital - "Free Forever" and "Live at Smalls" are both outstanding. The jazz has a bluesy feel, but they periodically interject some killer funk. The sax playing of Joel Frahm and trumpeter Avashia Cohen exudes soul.

Joshua Redman - "Spirit of the Movement - Live at the Village Vanguard"  Redman's in top form here and this is IMO one of the best releases of the 90s.

For older stuff:
Cannonball Adderely - "Somethin' Else"

Dave Brubeck Quartet - "Time Out" - classic album in the west coast/cool jazz genre - Paul Desmond's sax playing is light, silky, and really is the epitome of the west coast/cool jazz era.

Sonny Rollins  - "Saxophone Colossus" - another classic jazz album.

Dexter Gordon - "Dexter Blows" they recently remastered and re-released this 2 disc set.

Lester Young - he changed jazz forever and even today the saying goes, "hardly a tenor saxophone player can play an entire chorus without playing some Lester Young."[size=14pt] [/size]

Mar 25, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 9
Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but if you haven't heard any Morphine, I would highly, highly, highly, suggest checking them out for some really interesting and unique sax playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=985JGeGq_tc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M34iZH4-qkI

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #9 of 9
I'm kind of partial to Joshua Redman's work with his Elastic Band - "Momentum" is a good one to start with.

Charles Lloyd is another sax player who I really enjoy.  "Forest Flower" from '66 (with Jack DeJohnette on drums and Keith Jarrett on piano) is often cited as one of the earliest examples of jazz musicians moving towards more of a rock/jazz hybrid, although it is still clearly a jazz work.  More recently, "Water is Wide" from 2000 is one of my favorites, a very contemplative work - really beautiful stuff with the always interesting John Abercrombie on guitar.

Jan Garbarek's "In Praise of Dreams" is another great sax album, again on the more mellow/reflective side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back