Sax-Fi
Jan 26, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #16 of 23
Selmer Super Action 80 Series II:

2901382202_c1136d07f4.jpg

Still haven't figured out how to play the damn thing yet.

Jan 29, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzVinyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good tenor players are a dime a dozen.

Good alto players can make ya CRY!!

Glad no one is playing the "squeaky toy" (Soprano).

Its the player and their musical sensibilities that renders emotion, not the inherent timbre of the instrument, no? There's plenty of Gibson L-5 players, but only one Wes Montgomery.

Squeaky toy? Different mouthpieces and reeds can alter the tone. Marsalis on soprano can sound smoother and fuller than Koz or Sanborn on alto because of their hardware choices. Soprano also has the hardest embouchure to master.

Theres far more alto players actually, because its a more common starter instrument in the saxophone family for many reasons (size, cost) and also studied in classical music, while the tenor is not.

YTS-62 for me, and enjoying learning the instrument.

Jan 29, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #18 of 23
Played Alto from elementary to Jr. High then switched to Bari. I haven't played in over 15 years, but still know how to play. The baritone started me in playing Bass guitar and Double bass. I wish I owned my own Baritone though.

Jan 29, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #19 of 23
I don't play.

But i thought i'd mention that one of my favorite sax players has a few instruments for sale:

Saxophone Sale

He plays soprano, tenor, baritone, and bass saxophone. And bass clarinet. And steiner wind synthesizer. Edit: Sometimes two at a time.

And he's a really nice guy.

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #22 of 23

Dolnet Bel-Air  M70 Tenor and Alto. Each powered by Ralph Morgan Excaliburs.

(Mods, can you do something with those last 3 words please?  Volume up to 11, some monks for a touch of gold-leaf illumination and epic amounts of reverb would do it. Thanks awfully.)

But nearer competent on Boosey & Hawkes 926 Imperial clarinets with Ed Pillinger 45b mouthpieces.

Everyone on this forum will understand always looking for the next best mouthpiece upgrade. I'm not any more :)

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #23 of 23
Vito alto sax. pretty nice for me, who's a beginner.  the sound is pretty mellow though, considering it's an alto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back