Saw Tiesto this past weekend - review of venues; Boston vs. Dallas
Jul 31, 2007 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Shadowboxer

Head-Fier
I love all types of music except heavy metal. One of my loves though is Trance...specifically vocal trance.

A little about me:

I am a male in my 30's and recently moved from Boston to Dallas, and I don't miss Boston at all. The ONLY thing I do miss about the city is Avalon. Avalon has been voted best super-club in the U.S. for 2 years in a row, and has what is considered in the industry as one of the best sound systems in the world. Although it's a smaller size venue, it is an AMAZING place to see the worlds best DJ's perform. Dallas gets the same number of world-famous DJ's in a year as Boston gets in a month, and Dallas is almost 3x the population of Boston.

A little about Tiesto:

He did the opening ceremonies music at the Olympics in Greece a has been voted best DJ 3 years in a row. As with the best DJ's in the world, he is famous for his remixes of current songs, AND produces much of his own music. He also give a performance that is second to none, and has to be experienced to be believed.

But I digress...

This past Friday Tiesto came to Dallas, and I saw him at the Palladium. I took two girlfriends (one is my best friend and the other I am interested in) and we had a great time. The one I am interested in likes Tiesto and knew what to expect. The other had no idea this world of music and such an event existed (if you're into this scene, you'll know what I mean about it being a true performance by Tiesto, if you're not, you won't). Even though this was her first time and she's not into this kind of music, she was blown away by it.

We had a fantastic time. The warm up DJ played from 9 to midnight, and Tiesto played from midnight till almost 4 am. I have seen many of the top DJ's in the world in Boston; Oakenfold, Armin Van Buuren, Paul Van Dyk, DJ Sammy, Ralph Falcon, Lawrence Christopher, etc, etc., and yet somehow this show Friday was a completely different experience...and I left pondering why.

It comes down to the two venues have a completely different set up and thus a different experience.

Avalon-the layout:

Avalon is a smaller club, probably only holds about 1,500 people. It is more long and narrow in shape, with the DJ on the stage on the long side, and the dance floor also running the long wall. Picture the stage on the short side of a rectangle, and the dance floor running the long way, so the shorter side of the dance floor face the stage. On the other side of the floor is the exit into the entry way, with a stage above that side. Depending on the DJ, they either mix from the stage or the balcony. Bars are on either side of the dance floor (made of wood) on the long walls. The lights are on metal trusses that run the width of the floor. There are 8 of them and they are spaced to run the length fo the floor. They each hold lasers and all the latest lights. The trusses themselves can be raised, angled, and lowered and do often throughout the night. The ceiling is 4 stories high over the dance floor, and about one story high off to the sides over the bars. the speakers producing the bass are mounted about a 25' high, while the mids/tweeters are mounted on long solid chains and hung from the ceiling resting a bit above the dance floor, about 12 feet. This runs the length of the floor, enveloping the listener in sound.

Avalon-the music:

The musical experience at Avalon, in a world, is glorious. The lights are amazing, and that is coupled with a sound that is clear, warm, and uber-powerful. The music is loud and the bass is detailed, but so powerful-without overpowering the mids and highs-that your cloths literally shake on your body. But is is so clear and unforced, that it never becomes fatiguing. I've never experienced that anywhere else. You feel like you are floating IN the music, that you are in the river of song just being taken by the current of trance. It is truly a soulful experience. You forget everything and are at the mercy of the music, you are one with it.

Palladium-the layout:

Larger than Avalon, it is more a big square with a concrete floor. I'd guess it holds about 2,500 people. Bars are on either end with the stage on the far wall from the entrance. All the speakers and lights are set up concert-style along the stage wall. The back half of the club is raised about 2 feet from the front half and separated by a wall about 4 feet high.

Palladium-the music:

Loud, but not Avalon loud. Definitely more strained, not refined or effortless in anyway. Bass was powerful but not very articulate. But is still has the charm of being similar to the European venues that the DJ's play in that we've seen on video. You feel like you are more at a show than part of it. Although it was great music, and I enjoyed it for it's differences from Avalon, I never felt like I was one with the music. I never felt transported into the music and felt like I was on a musical journey like I have at the best shows at Avalon. Music wise I think Tiesto is brilliant and he is definitely in the top few of the world.

Well, there you have it. Thanks for reading my ramblings!

Jul 31, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #2 of 8
Interesting.. reading this makes me want to experience either one!

Aug 1, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #3 of 8
I have the complete opposite feeling about the Avalon. I can't stand that place. I thought the acoustics were funny sounding. I've only been there for rock acts though, since it's a club it might be more suited to DJ's. I also don't like how all the shows are early so they kick you out at ~10:30 for the club to open. I much prefer the Paradise near BU for concerts: even smaller venue, generally cheaper tickets, and definitely cheaper drinks.

Aug 2, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 8
That was quite the post.... Makes me want to dig out some old Christopher Lawrence mix discs and put them on. I used to love seeing that guy spin, way back.

Sep 6, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 8
Avalon is not very good acoustically for band concerts - I have seen several there. For DJ's, it's amazing. On the right night, with the right friends, and the right DJ, it is a journey as few places can make one experience.

I love many genres of "dance" music; funky house, dirty electro, vocal trance, underground house, chill, soulful house, euphoric trance, and dirty house. Much of it is very good. But I have to say currently, I think Tiesto's newest album 'Elements of Life', is pure brilliance. I don't say that lightly.

Sep 6, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #6 of 8
I have seen Bravery and Shiny Toy Guns in Avalon and they were pretty awesome. The guitars do get recessed sound but drums and keyboards make everything fly in Avalon. It's not that it sounds awful, it was just enough to get everything rockin'.

Avalon is the best place to experience dance and techno music. I've been to some New York and other boston venues but their's don't come close to Avalon's IMO.

Sep 6, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowboxer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a male in my 30's and recently moved from Boston to Dallas, and I don't miss Boston at all. The ONLY thing I do miss about the city is Avalon.

You mean you don't miss going to Fenway Park and seeing Red Sox???
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back