Save your pennies Boys and Girls(Awesome budget component alert #2)
Jan 1, 2003 at 9:08 PM Post #181 of 213
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
Interesting thread. I'm looking for an interim cdp/transport and might consider this unit. Does it have the capability to use an outboard DAC?

Good question, pigmode...

Maybe someone has an answer to that. I'm thinking the same way...

If everything works out, I'll have one in my possession soon and will be able to comment. The CD side will have to be something special to surpass the performance of my Planet 2000.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2003 at 6:07 PM Post #182 of 213
Today's J&R Update. . . .

According to my salesman, the Philips isn't expected in until at least the end of January.

I wonder if Music Direct really has these players?

Jan 3, 2003 at 8:04 PM Post #183 of 213
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
I wonder if Music Direct really has these players?

I'm starting to doubt it, FCJ...and if I don't receive a shipping notice by Monday or Tuesday, I'll be cancelling my order.

mad.gif

Jan 3, 2003 at 8:11 PM Post #184 of 213
They missed one Holiday season, maybe they are planning for the next one?

evil_smiley.gif

Jan 3, 2003 at 8:18 PM Post #185 of 213
One more time. . . .

I just got off the phone with my J&R sales rep. I have the dubious honor of being his oldest backorder (3 months and counting).

He told me that, rumor has it, there is a problem with the Faroudja chip (I'm not really sure what that means, since I'm not into DVD video and will not be using the player as such) on the Philips. He said that another Philips rep will be at J&R this coming Wednesday, so he may know more.

But basically, his rep told him to make no promises.

RickG--have you called Music Direct to find out what the status of your order is?

This is fast turning into my Christmas 2003 gift. . . .or maybe 2004.

Talk about vaporware. . . .

Jan 3, 2003 at 8:26 PM Post #186 of 213
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
Talk about vaporware. . . .

Well, it is available in other countries. Just the US release is a problem. Looks like allot of cool hardware comes out first in Japan or Europe and later in the states. Look at bluetooth technology. I have seen phones and devices on the street everywhere in Latvia and Poland on my June vacation. We are just a little behind.

Jan 3, 2003 at 8:31 PM Post #187 of 213
Quote:

Originally posted by dariusf
Well, it is available in other countries. Just the US release is a problem. Looks like allot of cool hardware comes out first in Japan or Europe and later in the states. Look at bluetooth technology. I have seen phones and devices on the street everywhere in Latvia and Poland on my June vacation. We are just a little behind.

Excuse my chip ignorance, but why would this work outside the USA but be a problem in the USA?

I guess I meant USA vaporware.

Jan 3, 2003 at 8:43 PM Post #188 of 213
Allot of happy users all the way back to October all around the world. Have no idea why the US release is a problem. I would understand it been delayed because of the port issue last year but now? Like I wrote before, Jim at Music Direct told me about changes to the unit for the US version. If this is the case then perhaps a new version or revision is something worth waiting for. I didn't and just got the new DAC. I'm still watching the release since I might get it anyway as we all like trying things out. The available units in Europe and Japan will work just fine in the US. You might need to hack it first for the region to change it to 1. But since we are mostly going to use it for audio anyway this doesn't make a deference.

They should have buildup the expectations way before the Holidays and then make the release and a killing in sales for the season. Now the expectations are just dying off. If I knew it would take this long I would just pay the shipping back in November.

Jan 3, 2003 at 8:43 PM Post #189 of 213
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
RickG--have you called Music Direct to find out what the status of your order is?

Ok, I just got off the phone with Rob at Music Direct. He actually checked with his Phillips man while on the phone to me and was told that Music Direct would be the first to receive these units (approx. 7-10 days).

He also said that he would verify J&R's price and meet that if it is indeed lower (all mention of the player seems to have disappeared from the J&R site).

He will call me as soon as they're ready to ship.

So that's where I'm at now...

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2003 at 8:58 PM Post #191 of 213
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
Ok, I just got off the phone with Rob at Music Direct. He actually checked with his Phillips man while on the phone to me and was told that Music Direct would be the first to receive these units (approx. 7-10 days).

He also said that he would verify J&R's price and meet that if it is indeed lower (all mention of the player seems to have disappeared from the J&R site).

He will call me as soon as they're ready to ship.

So that's where I'm at now...

smily_headphones1.gif

You're right, it disappeared off of J&R's site.

The price was $399.

Jan 3, 2003 at 9:04 PM Post #192 of 213
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
Interesting thread. I'm looking for an interim cdp/transport and might consider this unit. Does it have the capability to use an outboard DAC?

I'm quite sure you can. Keep in mind that this is upsampling player so the DAC inside can be quite good. But who knows how well it was implemented. According to Tuberoller it sure sounds good
smily_headphones1.gif

attachment.php

Jan 7, 2003 at 7:00 AM Post #193 of 213
I have a 963sa and Sony 9000ES at home.

From sound quality point of view, the 963sa is better than the 9000ES by at least 10-20% IMHO. Thanks to the upsampling, not only the 963sa it is clearer AND smoother than the 9000ES. It also has a way bigger, deeper and pin-point soundstage. The 9000ES sounds unsubtle and rough in comparison.

From picture quality point of view, there is simply no comparison. The 963sa simply blows the older player away!

I am very happy with my 963sa
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2003 at 2:47 PM Post #195 of 213
fierce,

Thanks, I feel welcome already!
tongue.gif

Forgot to mention a neat feature on the 963sa. Not only you can get good sound on the analog output, you can also get upsampled SPDIF signal from the digital output when you activate upsampling. Ie, if you have a high-end DAC with 96 or 192khz input capability, you can get free upsampling from the 963sa when you use it as a transport.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back