SASH Deux & Tres; impressive planars from Ukraine
Jun 9, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #362 of 1,218
Anyone have experience with the semi-open cups? A few people have posted about them but unless I missed it, I didn't see any definitive descriptions of how the semi-open cups sound. I'm curious how much they isolate, how the sound stage is, what they sound like, etc.

I just put in my deposit for the 45 ohm Tres, so now I'll need to decide on the configuration I want.
I put a deposit down a few weeks ago and ordered open and fully closed backs. When chatting with Sasha, he didn't seem to keen on the semi-open cups if I remember correctly. They seem like a compromise to me.

also just placed a deposit for some 45ohm this morning. natural/matte for me. now the 7 week wait begins.
I placed my deposit a couple weeks ago and can't wait to see how they turn out. This was my configuration:

Sash Tres 3 45 Ohm

1. 45 Ohm driver
  2. Closed back: Matte in Wenge
  3. Leather pads add 1 pair velour
  4. 2 cables: 2m- Mini XLR to 6.35TRS and Mini XLR to XLR
  5. Wooden Storage box

Jun 10, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #363 of 1,218
I placed my deposit a couple weeks ago and can't wait to see how they turn out. This was my configuration:

Sash Tres 3 45 Ohm

1. 45 Ohm driver
  2. Closed back: Matte in Wenge
  3. Leather pads add 1 pair velour
  4. 2 cables: 2m- Mini XLR to 6.35TRS and Mini XLR to XLR
  5. Wooden Storage box

I really liked the Wenge also but I decided to opt for a light color. Didn't talk to him about pads but I will probably order a set of velour also.

Jun 10, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #364 of 1,218
I really liked the Wenge also but I decided to opt for a light color. Didn't talk to him about pads but I will probably order a set of velour also.
I almost went with natural. Deciding on the color was one of my hardest decisions, lol. It would be cool if there some other wood species, but opens up a lot more work for Sasha. I appreciate what Sasha is doing and am amazed at what he has been able to create, especially considering his current situation.

Jun 14, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #365 of 1,218
Been listening to my friends 45 and 16 ohm Tres. While they both are different I do prefer the 45 ohm. The only thing I feel the 16 ohm does better is low end rumble and slam. But quality wise, the 45 ohm is the winner. Just a bit of eq and you can get very very close to Audeze levels while quality could be even better than some Audeze cans. The 16 ohm Tres is defs more V shaped and you do hear that scoop in the high mids. Clarity isn't sacrificed though but it isn't aiming to be an analytical headphone anyways. Instead being a truly magical musical headphone, more musical than the 45 Ohm Tres which takes a more bright neutral approach. If you aren't into eq and value musicality, low end slam and rumble, prefer a V shaped signature, I can see people prefering the 16 ohm Tres over the 45 ohm. The 45 Ohm still has slam and rumble, but is more neutral though, I do hear more extension and less roll off on both ends. The 45 ohm has a faster and more nuanced and detailed low end better separating sub and mid bass as well. It takes more quality over quantity. Also mids are more forward and I do not hear a scoop in the high mids. Maybe the 16 Ohm Tres has thicker low mids but the 45 Ohm has more clarity and detail, much more detail. Going into the high mids, the 45 ohm has a touch more sizzle and energy, at times but very rarely there is a minor bit of sibilance, but again. Small amount. There also is more treble on the 45 ohm but to my ear, it's smoother and more extended compared to the 16 Ohm. Imaging and soundstage also are better and larger on the 45 ohm maybe due to the high mids and treble, but it is very very pin point even more so than the LCD-X 2021 and Hifiman HE-6se. The Tres 45 ohm is a little heavier, this could be because of more magnets on the new driver but it isn't a huge difference as it still is very comfortable. What wows me most though is how the 45 ohm presents music. It sounds forward and tricks you into thinking it has an intimate sound due to the mids being very clear and in your face. But the amount of air and depth with the width and height of the soundstage can truly surprise you, the layering is extremely good too. To say that I feel the 45 Ohm Tres has a larger soundstage than my Ultrasone Edition 11 and is as good as the Arya Stealth, not the OG, the OG Arya is much larger, but the 45 ohm Tres is as good and presents music in a similar way is very impressive to me. Best way I can describe the 45 ohm Tres is, slam and clarity like a LCD-X 2021 and Hifiman HE-6se. Soundstaging and image presentation like a Hifiman XS and Arya Stealth. Vocals like a Meze Elite and musicality like some Abyss headphones, it's very unique . No I can't say it's better than all these headphones mentioned. They all have strengths and weaknesses. But the 45 ohm Tres has qualities from all these headphones and all put into one making a beast. Truly marvelous and punching way above its price range. I'd be happy for Sasha to call the 45 Ohm Tres the Quatre. For me, it's the new flagship 😊

Final edit:

I do feel the 45 Ohm is a highly resolving and detailed headphone. Low end is to me more textured and detailed than a Hifiman Arya. Mids on the Arya though have a slight edge. Treble surprisingly the 45 Ohm Tres comes close. But a better headphone to compare to would be the Meze Elite. The 45 Ohm Tres has more detail and texture in the low end while mids on the Meze Elite I'd say are more forward and intimate but detail is the same. Again treble, the Meze Elite is darker/warmer and the Tres 45 Ohm has slightly more energetic/brighter treble but with the same amount of detail the Meze Elite has. The Arya is overall more detailed than the Tres 45 ohm in mids and highs but not low end.

The Hifiman HE-6se is more detailed in mids, tie on treble but not as detailed in lows.

Audeze LCD-X 2021 is very very very close in all lows, mids and highs.

But the Tres 45 Ohm beats on imaging and soundstaging when compared to the LCD-X 2021, HE-6se, and even the Meze Elite, I do feel the Tres 45 Ohm has a larger soundstage but imaging is on par with the Meze Elite.

The 45 Ohm Tres is an extremely capable headphone. It's not as fast as the Meze Elite, but to say it comes close is high praise. And to also say, I feel it does some things better than the Meze Elite is high praise.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #366 of 1,218
Great to hear more about the difference between 16 ohm and 45 ohm. I am on the fence now which version I should choose. I mainly listen to metal music and I have problems with piercing highs. I usually like dark sounding headphones but I like to hear all the details in the music. Would you think that the 45 ohm is going to be a good choice or I should choose the 16 ohm. Thank you!

On another note, I am waiting for Sasha to accept payments through PayPal again since I don't use Wise. I can barely wait to try his products and hopefully promote it as much as I can so that more people can get to try his products, maybe he can grow his business, vital in this trying times for his country

Jun 14, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #367 of 1,218
On another note, I am waiting for Sasha to accept payments through PayPal again since I don't use Wise. I can barely wait to try his products and hopefully promote it as much as I can so that more people can get to try his products, maybe he can grow his business, vital in this trying times for his country
Yea wise was a bit of a pita to set up. I had to link a bank account for some reason my debit card wouldn't work so You either have to give full access to your bank account to some third party company called plaid or you have to wait 24 hours for them to deposit 2 small amounts to verify the account. I think he doesn't want to use PayPal because someone in Germany just screwed him over with a charge back after he shipped a set of headphones.

Jun 14, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #368 of 1,218
I know the story with that guy and I am really sorry for him but I am sure he can try to sort things out with PayPal because I believe that not only the buyer is protected by PayPal but the business too. I think he can open an unpaid case on PayPal. Most people use PayPal and I think if you want to grow your business you have to accept methods of payment that are used by your customers. Anyway, I really hope that it was just one case and people are not scamming here on this platform. I am sure upset for this and I feel sorry for Sasha but I am hopeful that one bad apple is not going to poison the lot

Jun 14, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #369 of 1,218
Great to hear more about the difference between 16 ohm and 45 ohm. I am on the fence now which version I should choose. I mainly listen to metal music and I have problems with piercing highs. I usually like dark sounding headphones but I like to hear all the details in the music. Would you think that the 45 ohm is going to be a good choice or I should choose the 16 ohm. Thank you!

For me, I prefer the 45 Ohm. I listen to Tool, Black Sabbath, Batushka, Harakiri For The Sky and heaps more. The 45 Ohm does have more treble, but you can try out a bit of eq to tame it slightly. Though it may not bother you at all and you'll be fine with how it sounds stock 😊. You will need more juice though to power them

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #370 of 1,218
Since we're sharing the configuration of our orders, I put an order in for the 45 ohm Tres in the reddish-brown color and shiny finish (so similar to a nice rich mahogany) with open + closed cups and leather + velour pads, the gift box, and a 1.2m cable terminating in 2.5mm balanced.

Jun 15, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #372 of 1,218
Are these headphones easy to drive?
The 16ohm yes, a SMSL M500 can drive it comfortably. The 45 ohm you'll need a bit more juice. A SMSL SH-9 is more than enough. Not saying you specifacally need these amps, but if you check the specs, it'll give you an idea how much power you'll need. Either way, you'll want an amp for both headphones to get the best out of them

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #374 of 1,218
He didn't offer you a tracking number when he shipped?

Jun 17, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #375 of 1,218
It's interesting that the Sash Tres is compared to much more expensive headphones like the Meze Elite or Audeze LCD-5.

Has anyone tried other custom ear pads on the Sash Tres? What size are these pads? Any recommendations and impressions?

What are you thoughts on the optional closed cups? I understand the jack of all trades idea. It seems like a budget solution, like the hybrid pants that can become shorts when needed. But I mean I am not sure it's very convenient to attach and detach them back and forth. Plus everyone seems to agree that the closed cups add up to the overall weight and degrade the sound quality. Wouldn't it make more sense to just have another set of closed-back cans? Or would you say the optional closed cups are good to have anyway because why not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back