Sarasota Gathering - Sun, 3/27
Mar 30, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by agile_one
Ian: The Stealth just had the stock EH tubes - 2x 6SN7's for input, 1 12AX7 for output.

To me, the Stealth was grand with any phone there, but particularly good with 650's and the R10's. I think it can be even better, though, with some tube rolling (advice?), and with a capacitor tweak that Ray recommends.

As a general comment, I will add what many have said before. Meet conditions are not the best to make conclusive judgements.

I think it would also sound weird with 6SN7 for input and 12AX7 for output
tongue.gif
You mean 12AX7 for input and 6SN7 for output.
wink.gif

I don't use 1/4" jack headphones nor 6SN7s so I have no comments on those. The singlepower tuberolling thread has some recommendations for 6SN7s and it's relatives but then those are for those amps. I'm not sure how'd they work in the Stealth. You just have to try what works best to your liking in your system.

I agree that meet conditions aren't the best to make judgements. But this isn't a wine tasting event. It's more like there's some wine, beer, vodka, scotch, etc. You can make some relative judgements but not more absolute ones.

Mar 30, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #17 of 28
You are most decidedly correct, Ian. I had the I/O tubes reversed - corrected my original post, and thanks for catching.

The Stealth at mikeg's had: 1 12AX7 for INPUT, and 2x 6NS7 for OUTPUT

Tne perils of fast posting, and no proofing.

Mar 30, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by screwdriver
man , i did not know about the meet - i pposted one for a florida meet but no one responded.

next time i hope i get invited.

Sorry, my fault. I restricted the number because my wife and I never hosted anything like this. We'll do it again, and open up to more next time.

Mar 30, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #19 of 28
mikeg ,

sorry , no offense meant .

i missed the last meet before as i was moving - then i did not know about this one .
i just wanted to experience some gear / listening .
im in for sure on the next one .

But i dont have my gear yet - sold most of it except for the naim cd player .

Mar 31, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #20 of 28
I'm kinda confused as to who is saying what???????

I did see that someone said they liked the ASL Wav monoblocs with the K1000. Which Wavs are we talkin, the 8's or 20,s. In my experiences using the Wav amps with any high resolution source resulted in so much noise they were nearly unlistenable. I used them with K1000s as well as various speaker rigs and used several pairs of Wav amps and never could stand them for more than a few minutes. I guess everything has it's fans and even though I'm a huge lover of tube gear I have never considered the ASL Wav amps "high end" and I think I'm being kinda generous there.

We had a similar set-up at one of the early Chicago meets and it was disassembled shortly into the meet cause it was so terrible sounding. I think the set-up was Roksan Kandy CDP/Wav-8 monoblocs/K1000.

Mar 31, 2004 at 1:51 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
I'm a huge lover of tube gear.

You're kidding. I'd never have guessed that!
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 2:19 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

I did see that someone said they liked the ASL Wav monoblocs with the K1000. Which Wavs are we talkin, the 8's or 20,s. In my experiences using the Wav amps with any high resolution source resulted in so much noise they were nearly unlistenable. I used them with K1000s as well as various speaker rigs and used several pairs of Wav amps and never could stand them for more than a few minutes. I guess everything has it's fans and even though I'm a huge lover of tube gear I have never considered the ASL Wav amps "high end" and I think I'm being kinda generous there.

I personally only listened to the K-1000 with Mike's higher end ASL amp back in his office and Klipsch sub. The Monoblocks were set up in the main room and I think only Agile_one and GSFerrari used that setup. I believe the source when Agile used it was a portable, but when GSFerrari plugged in it was his Sony SACD player (not sure of model but not a higher end like Agile's 555). Mike said he's never heard any difference between the Wav's and his better amp in the back. Only passing on what I observed, not what I heard.

Mar 31, 2004 at 2:52 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

I'm kinda confused as to who is saying what???????

We had a similar set-up at one of the early Chicago meets and it was disassembled shortly into the meet cause it was so terrible sounding. I think the set-up was Roksan Kandy CDP/Wav-8 monoblocs/K1000.

They were the Wave 8s. When I connected them to an ASL UHC-Signature headphone adapter in order to power the R10 and HD650 (did this after everyone left), there was a background hum. Unlike my AQ-1005DT, which has screw adjustments to zero out such hum, the Wave 8s don't have such an adjustment. But, when these monoblocks are used to drive a K1000, there is no noise or hum. Volume control in this setup was accomplished with a Creek OBH-10 Remote Volume Control. This setup was heard by some of the participants at this meeting, and also by matt when he and I previously met. And, none of these Head-Fi members heard a noisy background when listening to the K1000 connected to the Wave 8's hooked up in this manner. BTW, the passive preamp (or powered preamp) that's used to control the volume of the Wave monoblocks may make a big difference in the sound that obtained from the K1000. I think that a couple of years ago I tried using a HeadRoom passive preamp in place of the Creek, with the result that I obtained terrible sound from the K1000. When I called HeadRoom asking about reasons for this diminished performance, I think that I was told that it was due to an impedance mismatch when using their passive preamp. At least that's what I seem to recall from my discussion with them about two years ago.

Mar 31, 2004 at 1:47 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by mikeg
This setup was heard by some of the participants at this meeting, and also by matt when he and I previously met. And, none of these Head-Fi members heard a noisy background when listening to the K1000 connected to the Wave 8's hooked up in this manner.

True. As we determined, the Wave 8's were nearly identical to Mike's "big rig" ASL amp with the K1000's. I personally dislike aspects of K1000's, and have doubts about their absolute resolution of material (which if true is where sonic information differences between amps could have been lost...they are great cans with a great technology and design and I love the delicious "free sound" and natural crossfeed, just parts of the sound bother me), but in any event, they performed VERY similarly between these two amps with no noise from the Wave 8's.

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #25 of 28
I find that K1000 is very picky about it's amplification.

A good preamp makes all the difference as well as the amp. I think it sounds two dimensional if it's not being driven properly.

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #26 of 28
Looks like you guys had a great time. This thread and also mikeg's make my crush on the Marantz SA8260 even stronger
biggrin.gif
But I'm waiting to see some new releases this year. Also, maybe a headfi or audiogon SCD-NC555ES... The source decision has become the toughest for me.

Apr 1, 2004 at 1:06 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by gsferrari
here are the sources I recommendsd :-

1] Sony DVP-NC685V - $200.00 (new)

Got it. 189 open box at CC. So far all is well. Picked up a few SACD's for it... all of them are what I would probably refer to as "HD-600" cd's (as opposed to my new 595's bought from GSFerrari). Norah Jones, Miles "In A Silent Way", Monk's "Straight No Chaser", & Dimeola Mclaughlin & DeLucia "Friday Night in San Fran". None of them are the rock type stuff I bought the 595's for but they should give my new source a good workout. Will post first impressions of it soon.

Apr 1, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #28 of 28
YAY!!!
eek.gif

This is great - that source is better than the Pioneer from what my hearing tells me. Have fun and DO post your impressions about the source. Perhaps a different thread will be more appropriate...start a new one in the sources section

cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back