Sarasota Gathering - Sun, 3/27
Mar 29, 2004 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

agile_one

忍者
<edit> I am adding some introduction to this post to set up what follows. In rereading it is apparent that as it was first posted, the information could be confusing or seem out of context to members.

All my fault, as I attempted to jump start a thread by pasting in the contents of a PM to me with my reply woven in. Mom & dad were right - you shouldn't take shortcuts
frown.gif

Ok, then, here's what this thread is about. Mikeg invited some local Sarasota and Tampa members to his house for a day of listening and hanging out. Mike and his lovely wife, Holly, rolled out the red carpet for us, and made us feel most welcome, indeed. On hand were gsferrari, matt, NightWoundsTime, mikeg and his wife, Holly, and me (agile_one) and bride, Becky.

Equipment included:

Cans: Omega II, R10, L3000, HD650 stock, HD650 Zu Mobius, HD 600 Cardas, HD595, K1000, RS-1, R60, R325 (may have missed some)

Amps: ASL AQ-1005DT power amp, ASL Wave monoblocs, KGSS, Stealth, MAX (stepped atten), Rudistor RP5, Grace 901, RA1, PPA, Xin SuperMicro (sure I missed an amp or two also)

Sources: Marantz SA8260 SACD, Sony DVP NC555ES SACD, iRiver Slimx, Sony NVP500( not sure this is right #), gsferrari's new laptop through Xitel HiFi Link Pro (missed some here, too, I'll wager)

Ok, now what follows may make some sense. I can assure you, an enjoyable time was had by all, and some interesting postings should follow.

What follows in this post is my short intro, then a pm to me from gsferrari to which I responded. </edit>

Well, first and foremost, I want to thank Mike (Mikeg) and Holly for hosting such a wonderful gathering. Their hospitality and generosity in sharing their beautiful home with us is very much appreciated, and will be long remembered.

To old friends, Matt, Guru, and Mike - sure was fun to see you again and share our fun hobby. To new friend, Matthew, it was a pleasure to spend time with you, and I look forward to seeing you at future gatherings.

Since Guru already posted some 1st impressions, I'll put those here, and weave in my own, My comments in square brackets [...]

My opinions of various equipment :- [edit: the "My" is Guru (gsferrari)]
=========================

1] HD-650 :-
----------------

In a class of its own...peerless at the moment with the stock cables or Zu Mobius upgrade cables. Nothing can touch these headphones for overall flexibility in usage, sound quality and tonal balance.

[I agree. I think the HD650 is the sweet spot in headphones. Sure, it's not cheap, but it's very much better than anything in the same range, and one has to spend 4x to get noticably better. Note, that I will cast a vote for the AKG K1k's here, too.]

2] ZU-Mobius Cable :-
--------------------------

Obvious differences in sound. Worth buying if you are not satisfied wth stock cable performance...I think the stock cables are far better than the HD-600 cables but they still sound dry...
Cardas cable also goes well with HD-650...not as well as the Zu Mobius though.

[Yes, the Zu is a great cable - I like the Cardas just as much, though. I have an Oehlbach cable for my 650's that I haven't tried yet, and I am not really unhappy with the stock 650 cables. I've not heard the Equinox, either. Maybe a future gathering could feature a cable corner ... With Matthew's Cardas, Mike's Zu, and my Oehlbach's alnog with both 600's and 650's]

3] Stealth Amp :-
---------------------

Incredible disappointment. Lacking in almost all areas except the midrange which is very sweet. Sounds nice with vocals but simply fails miserably with any form of rock, pop, lounge...

[I heartily disagree. I think the Stealth is a wonderful amp, but freely admit that it is overpriced as a headamp only. To realize value from it, one must utilize it's preamp capabilities as well. As to sound, it is one that takes time to fully appreciate - sort of like some headphones (Senn 600/650, K1k's, Omega II) - I know of many, myself included who have said "what's all the fuss?" on first listen, but then have come to appreciate some of those cans. It just does everything well, with no rough edges or deficiencies.

Also, as I mentioned at the meet, Ray wants to make a capacitor change to fill out the low end with lower impedance cans, specifically the R10's. I am sending mine back this week, so at next meet, it will be a different beast. For me, the Stealth is a keeper.]

4] Stax Omega 2's :-
-----------------------

Incredible...dreamy sound with incredible clarity and tight controlled bass thanks to the superb KGSS. The potential of this system was hampered by a lacklustre pre-amp but I still liked it. I want to hear this with a high end pre-amp...preparing to be blown away here.

[Absolutely agree - world class headphiones, especially with the KGSS. A match made in heaven with quality vinyl rig like Matt's - something about that analog source and tube phono stage combined with all that "solid stateness" of the amp and cans that brings out the best in both worlds.

I had an absolute ball doing one on ones with the Stealth powered R10's and OII's with the KGSS. They each have something to offer, and if I absolutely love both of them.]

5] AT Leatherheads :-

The second biggest disappointment after the Stealth...this really shouldnt cost more than $50.00 without the leather

[The L3000's also need a bit of time to be appreciated. Only then, can one see that they do a lot of things very well. In particular, they excel at jazz, blues, and surprisingly, rock. They definitely ARE overpriced, though. Should be more in the class of HD650's. At $600 - 700 list, they make sense, at $2 - 2.5k they are outclassed by the R10's, OII's, and Baby O's (HE60/HEV70, which can be had for around $800 - 1000).]

6] Gene's mystery amp (whatever its called - R....something) :-
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Biggest HIT of the day. The italians have proved again that they are capable of building more than ferrari's, lamborghinis and Ducatis

This is the best amp I have heard so far AFAIK. Incredible synergy with the HD-650 and R-10. Not so great with the RS-1 but passable...(too harsh on the treble and midrange with the Grados). Smashing amp for under $1000.00 which should put the Headroom Max to shame...at least the Grace has a built in DAC to justify its place...

[The amp is the Rudistor RP5 Reference It has turned out to be a great piece of equipment for a blind purchase. It is designed and built by Rudolpho (Rudi) Stor in Trieste, Italy. This is the guy who designed and built Nik's Egmont Signature amp that Nik raves about for his Omegas II's, and you know what a lunatic Nik is about his systems. Rudi turns out to be a great guy, and as you heard, a great amp builder. If you check the link, you can see it;s a hybrid amp (tube friont end, MOSFET power output), and very heavily built. You can see his other stuff, too.

Anyway, I am very happy with this amp - works magic with the HD600/650's. Matthew, did you have the chance to check any rock titles on your 600's on either this (RP5) or the MAX?]

7] Revelation of the day :-
----------------------------------

ASL Monoblocks...blew me away with the AKG-1000 which I know are excellent headphones. I am seriously considering selling my soul to afford two monoblocks, a AKG-1000 and a 15" Powered Subwoofer...add a high end SACD source, interconnects, power conditioning unit and plenty of time and music and i'll be all set

[Yes - very cool, indeed. Like the 600/650's and R10's the K1k's seem to just get better with higher quality sources and more powerful amps.]

8] Budget system note :-
------------------------------

The fixup amplifier was a stunner...I am a believer in the abilities of DIY. This amp sounds better than ANY sub $500.00 headphone amplifier I have heard...sound is comparable with the CHA-47 but this package is so small that it makes it a more attractive prospect.

[I didn't have a chance to hear this - my loss. I'm not a big portable guy, though, so would be more of a curiosity for me.

My budget system of the day (or decade, for that matter) is Matthew's PPA with his 600's/Cardas. Ok, maybe not really budget, but most decidely, VALUE. I can't see more for the money anywhere else for close to what those cost.]

9] Computer Audio :-

I stole Gene's USB DAC by XITEL and I am loving it...Looking for the website to order one for myself...it is transforming my computer music listening experience...best part is that I have the freedom to be able to use whatever amp I want now with the computers without needing to invest in expensive sound cards!!

[Yeah, computer audio is very cool, and where we seem to be headed. I am way behind the curve here, and need time to catch up - don't know when that will happen.]

[Speaking of catching up - Guru probably thought me a fool when I asked if the Buddha's were Indian music .... (ok, now that you've all had your little laugh) ... my point here is that entire genre's of music have sprung up that I have no knowledge of or exposure to - Trance, Lounge, Electronic, Industrial, etc. Maybe a future meet could have a little seminar were the younger members can enlighten us more experienced types in the joys of new music before we get completely left behind

[10. Mike's Headphone Amp that Isn't:-
--------------------------------------------------
I've added a (10.) to your list of items, Guru, because I was most impressed with Mike's ingenious use of his ASL power amp (with those gorgeous tubes) through the little ASL box to take the speaker output and make it palatable for headphones - as good as most standalone headamps, and a most versatile system.

Well, enough from Guru and me - looking forward to other's impressions of a great day.]

Mar 29, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 28
Replies to replies in "quotes":

1] HD-650 :-
----------------

In a class of its own...peerless at the moment with the stock cables or Zu Mobius upgrade cables. Nothing can touch these headphones for overall flexibility in usage, sound quality and tonal balance.

[I agree. I think the HD650 is the sweet spot in headphones. Sure, it's not cheap, but it's very much better than anything in the same range, and one has to spend 4x to get noticably better. Note, that I will cast a vote for the AKG K1k's here, too.]

"For me, Sennheisers sound like the most unbelievably excellent amazing, over-the-top, coupled-to-your-mind PA. But they are still a PA (distant, reproduced, no matter how CLOSE they get to 'real'). The HD-650 is more of the same, just better, in my experience. I am still sitting there going "this is gorgeous, but I don't honestly believe in the reality of the picture it presents."

4] Stax Omega 2's :-
-----------------------

Incredible...dreamy sound with incredible clarity and tight controlled bass thanks to the superb KGSS. The potential of this system was hampered by a lacklustre pre-amp but I still liked it. I want to hear this with a high end pre-amp...preparing to be blown away here.

[Absolutely agree - world class headphiones, especially with the KGSS. A match made in heaven with quality vinyl rig like Matt's - something about that analog source and tube phono stage combined with all that "solid stateness" of the amp and cans that brings out the best in both worlds.

I had an absolute ball doing one on ones with the R10's and OII's. They each have something to offer, and if I absolutely love both of them.]

"Demoing R-10's next to the Omega II's was great stuff. They are definitely of a similar calibre, just different. For me, the difference was similar to the difference between Stax SR-404's and Omega II's: one is lusher, more realistic (in this case the R-10's) and one has more snap, absolute resolution and ultimately more rhythm and pace (Omega II's). It was a toss-up for me. With price a factor, Omega II's take it (which is why I got them), but sans budgetary concerns, I would want both for DIFFERENT TYPES of music."

5] AT Leatherheads :-

The second biggest disappointment after the Stealth...this really shouldnt cost more than $50.00 without the leather

[The L3000's also need a bit of time to be appreciated. Only then, can one see that they do a lot of things very well. In particular, they excel at jazz, blues, and surprisingly, rock. They definitely ARE overpriced, though. Should be more in the class of HD650's. At $600 - 700 list, they make sense, at $2 - 2.5k they are outclassed by the R10's, OII's, and Baby O's (HE60/HEV70, which can be had for around $800 - 1000).]

"Good sometimes (next to R10's performed relatively well for musicality on some material...forget which...anyhow, other times sounded like typical, thin Audio-Technica trash on other material. Not a good value, but a good can overall, no doubt. The value proposition is low, but so is it for R10's, Omegas, etc."

6] Gene's mystery amp (whatever its called - R....something) :-
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Biggest HIT of the day. The italians have proved again that they are capable of building more than ferrari's, lamborghinis and Ducatis

This is the best amp I have heard so far AFAIK. Incredible synergy with the HD-650 and R-10. Not so great with the RS-1 but passable...(too harsh on the treble and midrange with the Grados). Smashing amp for under $1000.00 which should put the Headroom Max to shame...at least the Grace has a built in DAC to justify its place...

[The amp is the Rudistor RP5 Reference It has turned out to be a great piece of equipment for a blind purchase. It is designed and built by Rudolpho (Rudi) Stor in Trieste, Italy. This is the guy who designed and built Nik's Egmont Signature amp that Nik raves about for his Omegas II's, and you know what a lunatic Nik is about his systems. Rudi turns out to be a great guy, and as you heard, a great amp builder. Ifd you check the link, you can see it;s a hybrid amp (tube friont end, MOSFET power output), and very heavily built. You can see his other stuff, too.

Anyway, I am very happy with this amp - works magic with the HD600/650's. Matthew, did you have the chance to check any rock titles on your 600's on either this (RP5) or the MAX?]

"Lovely looking, sounded nice with 650's."

7] Revelation of the day :-
----------------------------------

ASL Monoblocks...blew me away with the AKG-1000 which I know are excellent headphones. I am seriously considering selling my soul to afford two monoblocks, a AKG-1000 and a 15" Powered Subwoofer...add a high end SACD source, interconnects, power conditioning unit and plenty of time and music and i'll be all set

[Yes - very cool, indeed. Like the 600/650's and R10's the K1k's seem to just get better with higher quality sources and more powerful amps.]

"I dislike AKG-1000's on one count: ringing coloration in the treble region, with also an over-aggressive treble, to my ears. Other than that, they are a technological/design sucess story. I wish someone would make a more neutral "wing" earspeaker like that. Short of the lousy, overbearing treble, a real winner and 'whole new world' for headphone listening."

- Matt

Mar 30, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 28
man , i did not know about the meet - i pposted one for a florida meet but no one responded.

next time i hope i get invited.

Mar 30, 2004 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 28
Wow...what a source...

5 CD/SACD/DVD
Dual RCA Audio Outputs
Optical Output
SACD/CD
Multi/2CH
Very nice Remote Control
Strong chassis...very nice build quality
Looks fantastic!!

Im gonna get this after I sell my soul, earn some more cash and get another cheaper soul...i'll upgrade the soul later
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 2:57 AM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Im gonna get this after I sell my soul, earn some more cash and get another cheaper soul...i'll upgrade the soul later
very_evil_smiley.gif
[/B]

Heh you obviously thought that one over for a while cuz nothing you said yesterday was that brilliant
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway I agree with all the impressions here even if us atendees are the only ones reading
smily_headphones1.gif

Gene have you heard anything about the RP4? At half the price with the same basic design it looks very tempting. I think for now though I'll concentrate on that Philips SACD player Guru recommended (400 bucks or so). Did some listening tests tonight of my Terratec sound card and my old Kenwood cd changer and find the changer on top, so I know there's lots of room for improvement in my source.

The K1000's with Mike's ASL and a 15 inch klipsch was the system I'd be most likely to buy right now if I had the money. I think Guru and I fed off each other's dislike of the stealth but it just doesn't perform like I'd thought it would. At one point early on I was blown away by Norah Jones through the R10's with the Stealth but after that I couldn't find an impressive moment with either of those.

Oh and a week or so ago I posted that my HD600's don't rock, so I did get a chance to do some serious listening with the "affordable" phones present. I used the Headroom Max mostly (although I used my own PPA at times also), with 595's, 600's, 650's, & 325's (also R10 but only passingly and wasn't at all satisfied). The recording I used most was Porcupine Tree's "In Absentia" (A couple tracks have some pretty strong metal guitar work). My first impression of the 595 was pretty poor. I was listening to some jazz solo piano with them and felt they were ultra weak compared to my own 600's. Then I put them on to compare with rock and MAN were my ears happy. I now understand the "up-front" sound as opposed to the 600's atmospheric nature. The 650's of course are much the same with a couple improvements that didn't show up much with metal music. The 325's are too foreign to my Sennloving ears, and I don't especially like the on-the-ear design of any Grados. So now I'm seriously considering the 595's as well as a source upgrade.

Anyway thank you again to MikeG for the truly awesome meet. I must say finding out that my own headphone/amp combo sounds better to me than probably 70 percent of what was present makes me a very happy amateur headphone junky
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #6 of 28
Grado RS-1 :-
-----------------

Sublime...

I really liked the SR-325's. For me they were the perfect headphones for vocals...made the music sound real and sometimes gave me the impression that I was performing on the stage because it separated the instruments really well.

The RS-1 however takes things one step higher. It has a sugar coated sound though...I love it and I can imagine...no...I know several people who would despise this in a "reference" headphone but it makes me smile
cool.gif

I would imagine wanting to own an RS-1 if I listened to Opera, Soul, Hip-Hop, R&B and Rap...this headphone will get you up there, personally and INVOLVED with the music...

VWAP Pads :-
-----------------

MikeG was extremely kind to let me have one of his vwap flat pads to compare with the Todd (Grado) Flat pads. He felt the vwaps were better and to an extent I agree.

The basic difference to my ears lies in the upper mids and highs. The Grado Flats tend to rolloff a bit off the top end which makes them sound GREAT on a SR-325 (which is naturally very articulated on the highs). However on the RS-1 (which I felt was by default a little less harsh on the treble...more refined) the rolloff caused by the pads made the sound very dull. The vwap pads have almost all the qualities of the Grado Flats while maintaining a strong upper range. great match with the RS-1.

I tend to believe that the vwaps lack the lower bottom end that the grado flats generate...more listening is required to validate this observation...

K-1000 :-
-------------

Magnificent albeit coloured. I love the sound and I love the fact that you can position the earcups to modulate the sonic presentation...I tend to place the drivers towards the front facing back...gives me a feeling of listening to a concert from the audience...like listening to high quality speakers in the room.

MikeG has paired the K-1000 with a Klipsch 12" Subwoofer. This IMHO is a fantastic combo because the Klipsch fills out all the voids in the K-1000 bottom end. As a result I found myself lowering the volume step by step until I was one step away from the "OFF" position
600smile.gif

You dont have to turn up the volume on these headphones to get the bass you want when you have a subwoofer to go with the setup.

Without the subwoofer the bass is there but its not what I like to hear...its good both ways...better with the sub - Fantastic Idea MikeG!!
cool.gif

JBoehle's PPA :-
------------------

This is the PPA I almost bought...Looks a bit tacky (something we can fix - I recommend a chrome (real chrome) case with a blue LED and a nice big volume control/switch combo...

Sound - nice full with strong Bass (the bass boost was permanently wired in from what Matthew told me). Sounds VERY nice with almost every headphone I threw at it...excellent headphone amplifier...

I reckon it offers better resolution than the RA-1 and the MG Head and the Perreaux SHX-1 (from memory of course...which as we all know is an incredibly unreliable thing...).

Sony R-10's :-
----------------

Nothing to complain about here save for the price and a slightly booomy bass. It is heaven in comparison with the CD3K which is a headphone I really detest...bloated
tongue.gif

The R-10 is tight...and expensive...but forgetting the price, it offers an enormous soundstage...I had my eyes wide open listening to this headphone
eek.gif

It has strong Bass (a common thing among Sony headphones except the V-6??) which can get overpowering with the PPA mentioned above. Mates VERY well with the Stealth...possibly the only headphone to sound nice with the Stealth which is strange considering that Ray Samuelf is taking back the Stealth to do an upgrade...which he reckons will make the amp sound better with low-Z cans...the R-10 is low-Z and maybe its the virtue of the R-10's that makes the Stealth sound better than it really does.

I wouldnt mind picking one of these up if I had the money...more stuff to dream about
cool.gif

Senn HD-595 :-
-------------------

I thought I hated these headphones. They were the most "hollow" sounding headphones I had listened to in a long time. I slowly started to like them after I got the Max and Grace from Gene and I got the Sony SACD source...

Higher end components will make these headphones shine and possibly surpass the HD-580/600. But it is still waay behind the 650.

Comfort levels are as I mentioned several times before - A++ which MikeG doesnt agree - he likes the fit and feel of the 600/650 better.

I agree because these headphones are very light...doesnt imply that they are cheaply made but they feel sorta...unsubstantial
rolleyes.gif
LOL

Matthew loves them for Rock and Metal...I liked them for Techno and Lounge...

I am biased to the 650's
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #8 of 28
screwdriver: don't feel left out, bro' - this wasn't a meet, just some folks got invited to a friend's house to hang out for a bit.

Hopefully another actual SW Florida meet can come together soon, and will be publicized and open to all. If I recall correctly, you were in the throes of moving when we met last Dec, and couldn't make that one.

minya: yeah, the posts here are a tad loosey goosey - guess you had to be there. Much of what is here is continuation of conversations between folks at the gathering, so I can see how it seems unstructured to you.

Mar 30, 2004 at 5:06 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by NightWoundsTime
I think for now though I'll concentrate on that Philips SACD player Guru recommended (400 bucks or so).

$400.00 for the philips!?!?
eek.gif
You heard me wrong...its $140 or something for the Pioneer SACD/DVDA (nice...you get both)...here are the sources I recommendsd :-

1] Sony DVP-NC685V - $200.00 (new)
2] Sony DVP-NS500V - $100.00 (used)
3] Sony DVP-NS555ES - $450.00 (new)
4] Music Hall CD-25 - $500.00 (new)
5] Philips 963SA - $300.00 (used)

Quote:

The K1000's with Mike's ASL and a 15 inch klipsch was the system I'd be most likely to buy right now if I had the money.

Me too...what a combo!! I might drop the sub and stick to the vibrawhatevers
tongue.gif
MikeG is planning to shake his house to bits with 3 of those things strapped to his chair...

MikeG - I would like to say that those are NOT a good idea for the casual listener. Great for a gamer like me and I am trying to source those on the internet...but the fact that those vibrawhatsits need a separate amp turns me off...

Quote:

I think Guru and I fed off each other's dislike of the stealth but it just doesn't perform like I'd thought it would. At one point early on I was blown away by Norah Jones through the R10's with the Stealth but after that I couldn't find an impressive moment with either of those.

I think the Stealth has plenty of room for improvement especially in the Bass response. The bass is powdery and distorted with most headphones and most music genres. Im sure that if Ray gets a fix on this issue it will be a superb amp...not sure what tubes were in there either
confused.gif
Tubes are everything...perhaps there was a bad tube somewhere...no headphone amp can sound that bad without something having gone horribly wrong somewhere...

I look forward to the day I get to hear it after its been modded and fixed...

Its a beautiful looking amplifier though...Droolability!!
600smile.gif

Quote:

Oh and a week or so ago I posted that my HD600's don't rock, so I did get a chance to do some serious listening with the "affordable" phones present. I used the Headroom Max mostly (although I used my own PPA at times also), with 595's, 600's, 650's, & 325's (also R10 but only passingly and wasn't at all satisfied). The recording I used most was Porcupine Tree's "In Absentia" (A couple tracks have some pretty strong metal guitar work). My first impression of the 595 was pretty poor. I was listening to some jazz solo piano with them and felt they were ultra weak compared to my own 600's. Then I put them on to compare with rock and MAN were my ears happy. I now understand the "up-front" sound as opposed to the 600's atmospheric nature. The 650's of course are much the same with a couple improvements that didn't show up much with metal music.

Ooooh...Finally someone who agrees with me that the 595's sound weak and hollowed out. I think its the earcups more than anything else...they are too "resonant"

Quote:

Grados are too foreign to my Sennloving ears, and I don't especially like the on-the-ear design of any Grados. So now I'm seriously considering the 595's as well as a source upgrade.

Give them some time. I loved the 325's...Man they make Bocelli sound like god
cool.gif
Pavarotti sound like...um...God is already taken...Pavarotti sound like a New Yorker Pizza!!!
eek.gif

I think you need a source upgrade more than anything else. The PPA is a class act and the HD-600 is a class act...just get a SACD player (check with me in case im letting this bugger go to fund my food and shelter) and you should be all set...stay away from HeadFi!!!
eek.gif

Quote:

Anyway thank you again to MikeG for the truly awesome meet. I must say finding out that my own headphone/amp combo sounds better to me than probably 70 percent of what was present makes me a very happy amateur headphone junky
smily_headphones1.gif

Cant thank Mike enough...what a BEAUTIFUL home...

Im glad I went there hungry
smily_headphones1.gif
LOL
but then again...I am always hungry...high maintenance...

umm...Ramen noodles again!?!?
frown.gif
I hate hobbies and I can write a book on the detrimental effects of self inflicted "malnutrition" brought about by a compelling desire to spend more on one's hobbies and less on one's body.

Yada yada yada yada
rolleyes.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 8:22 AM Post #11 of 28
Good to hear you guys had a lot of fun. There was a lot of nice gear there.

I wonder what tube was in the Stealth. I'm not a fan of the stock ones.

What preamp was used for the ASL Waves?

What amp did the K1000 use?

Mar 30, 2004 at 11:50 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by gsferrari
$400.00 for the philips!?!?
eek.gif
You heard me wrong...its $140 or something for the Pioneer SACD/DVDA (nice...you get both)...here are the sources I recommendsd :-

1] Sony DVP-NC685V - $200.00 (new)
2] Sony DVP-NS500V - $100.00 (used)
3] Sony DVP-NS555ES - $450.00 (new)
4] Music Hall CD-25 - $500.00 (new)
5] Philips 963SA - $300.00 (used)

OH ok. I could swear you'd said Philips and I forgot about your price quote, so I just went looking for the well regarded philips. Thanks a ton for the list.

Mar 30, 2004 at 2:22 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
Good to hear you guys had a lot of fun. There was a lot of nice gear there.

I wonder what tube was in the Stealth. I'm not a fan of the stock ones.

What preamp was used for the ASL Waves?

What amp did the K1000 use?

We used a Creek OBH-10 Remote Volume Control with the ASL Waves.

An ASL AQ-1005DT amp was used to drive the K1000.

Mar 30, 2004 at 3:30 PM Post #14 of 28
Ian: The Stealth just had the stock EH tubes - 2x 6SN7's for output, 1 12AX7 for input.

To me, the Stealth was grand with any phone there, but particularly good with 650's and the R10's. I think it can be even better, though, with some tube rolling (advice?), and with a capacitor tweak that Ray recommends.

As a general comment, I will add what many have said before. Meet conditions are not the best to make conclusive judgements. There is too much going on, and much of the listening is of a "drive by" nature. This is particularly true with the high end gear, where it is easy to have a go at it, and say something like - "sure it's good, but not THAT good". In fact, my experience is that to fully appreciate what a given piece of gear, or combination of gear has to offer takes more than one listening session. There are nuances, details, and subtleties that only time will reveal.

Having had that time with the Stealth, I think it is one great amplifier.

edit: corrected i/o orientation of tubes specified

Mar 30, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #15 of 28
NightWoundsTime: I think the inexpensive Pioneer Universal referred to at mikeg's was the 563A, which is typically available for $149 online, or at the "big box" stores like Best Buy of Circuit City.

Heck, with BB's and CC's 30 day return policies, just go grab one and see how it works for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back