Saran Wrap my IPOD
Oct 7, 2005 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Banned
Just got a 20GB IPOD. Figured $20 for an iskin case is a ripoff. I decided to wrap the IPOD with saran wrap. A couple of wrinkles here and there, and some scotch tape, and voola, I have my homemade iskin.

Can't beat the price, FREE!
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #4 of 19
Don't have a digital camera, sorry.

Ghetto, well, sans $20, I'll take the ghetto route.
biggrin.gif

In all honesty, the saran wrap is really skin tight. Cut of the bottom piece and the top piece, it's really a very good "iskin."

Oct 7, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sennheiser
It's really a matter of principle. I really consider at $20 for a piece of plastic, the iskin is a ripoff.

designing and molding complex three dimensional shapes isn't cheap, you know.

Oct 7, 2005 at 7:28 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by discord
It's not plastic.

i got a kevlar case for mine

Oct 7, 2005 at 11:51 AM Post #10 of 19
How complex can it be? And what kind of design do you need? It just has to wrap around a block of metal (well metal and plastic).

The materials/manufacturing cost is probably just pennies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
designing and molding complex three dimensional shapes isn't cheap, you know.

Oct 7, 2005 at 11:52 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by discord
It's not plastic.

Fine, you can buy it in "pleather," "kelvar," or "cloth," or whatever fashion material you design.

Regardless, a piece of "pleather" doesn't cost $20.

Oct 7, 2005 at 12:39 PM Post #12 of 19
It's called marketing, products are priced at whatever the market will bear. Granted, there is overhead, but it all comes down to whatever people are willing to pay. Some companies price is based on margin while others are based on volumn.

Oct 7, 2005 at 12:47 PM Post #13 of 19
there was a non-headfier who showed up at a mini meet who had his ipod in a very well made duct tape case. It even had a flap over the front. Of course no sticky surfaces in contact with the Ipod itself. We were very impressed. He said he'd done it that way for a trip to europe where he wanted it to not look like an Ipod in a fancy case.

Oct 7, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #14 of 19
Have still neglected to buy a case because I simply cannot find one that doesn't have some sort of ridiculous flaw...

Using an older velcro flap style camera case right now that is just about the right size.. Open to suggestions
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #15 of 19
I have thoughts on both side of this one. I do have a feeling that like cell phones the market up is something crazy. These people are making good money on products you are corner into. I have the same feeling when going into a movie and seeing the prices for popcorn and soda.

That being said, am I going to the gym, work, ect without a case. No, I got the top of ripe me off iskin for $35 dollars. Mult colors and protection for the click wheel.

BTW.. basic supply and demand with corner market

Users who are viewing this thread

Back