Sanyo CDP-1300 first impressions...
Jun 21, 2002 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

lini

Thought the last line in Citizen Kane was nosebud.
My CDP-1300 came in a red cardboard box - nothing too fancy, but a good protection for the content. First thing to discover after opening the lid is the player itself in a protective bag of thick soft plastic. Left to it, hidden and locked under some cardboard flaps is the wall-wart (6 V DC @ 600 mA regulated), below another cardboard flap hide the manual, the rechargable battery pack (2x 600 mA NiCd) and some earbuds, which I might try later on.

The player itself has a silvery laquered plastic case of reasonable quality. Arrangement of the buttons on the lid is logical - and the buttons seem ok, too. These's one separate button for toggling anti-skip (10s uncompressed) - setting and status of the anti-skip are displayed by an icon on the lc-display, which also shows track and time as well as the play-mode, which by use of another button can be toggled between single and complete repeat, normal, random & intro play as well as memory mode. Another separate button sets the player in program mode. On the side there are two additional switches for hold and a fairly effective bass boost (which I didn't need, though). Right next to these switches are the volume dial (pot), headphone out, line out and power input. The battery lid for Sanyo's pack or two seperate AA cells is on the bottom and protected from falling off.

When I first opened the upper lid of the player I found a protective cardboard sheet inside to keep the laser unit safe for shipment - neat. So after a pause for reloading some 1600 mA NiMHs of mine, I inserted these into place, connected the player to the Corda HA-1 using the line-out, connected the K240S to the HA-1 using the 0 Ohm output, inserted Chemical Brothers' "dig your own hole" and dug into the sound. Which was good. Solid, detailed, punchy, extended... Groovy. Then a little thunderstorm came up, so I disconnected the Corda and used the K240S directly from the headphone out of the CDP-1300. Which was good. Not as good as the Corda - a little less extended & less immidiate, maybe a little more tinny or compressed, but all in all not too far away. And it could go loud. Very loud. Without noticable distortion - alright!

So as a first verdict I'd say this player is worth closer inspection - especially because it's not very expensive and it might be discontnued, soon.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jun 29, 2002 at 10:26 PM Post #2 of 5
I've spent some more time with the CDP-1300 and CDP-4300 in the meantime. The CDP-4300 is looks and sounds almost identical, but features 45s compressed anti-shock memory, whereas the CDP-1300 has got 10s non-compressed anti-shock memory - both can be switched on or off. In addition, the CDP-4300 features a line/optical out combo jack (instead of only a line out) and a cable remote control as well. Both Sanyos have a fairly juicy headphone out, though. The sound from the line-out is almost a good as with my old Sanyo CDP-55A - and I think it's better than the SL-CT570A from both the line out as well as the headphone jack. One drawback is the lack of grooves in the inside for a better grip when removing a cd. So maybe the CDP-4500/4550, which should replace the CDP-4300 soon, is worth waiting for...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jun 30, 2002 at 9:08 AM Post #3 of 5
<reads thread>

No... Can't afford more PCDPs...
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

<runs away from thread before wallet opens...>

Jun 30, 2002 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 5
puppyslug: I've got mine directly from Sanyo, but I've also watched out for the prices on the web - usually below 70 Euro...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back