Santiago de Compostela (Spain) Mini-Meet IV ->> Sister City of S. Francisco :) << Saturday February 9th
Jan 23, 2008 at 10:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

carlosgp

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I have the pleasure of announcing that we will be meeting the next February 9th in Santiago de Compostela (pictures). The meet will be celebrated in the Hotel Los Abetos.

fachada.jpg

A copy of the announcement of this meet can be found too in Auriculares.org, a spanish forum.
Please, reply to this thread if you are planning to attend and do not forget to include a list of the gear you are going to bring. Do not worry if it is simple. And please, forgive us if we do some of the arrangements in spanish in this thread. Probably some attendees will not be fluent enough in english. Portuguese members are invited too
wink.gif

If you have any questions or ideas, please PM me and I will try to answer.

Details:
  1. Location: Hotel Los Abetos, Lisboa Meeting Room. San Lázaro (no number), Santiago de Compostela. tlf. +34 981557026, fax +34 981586177. GoogleMap
  2. Date: Saturday February 9th
  3. Time: 10:00-22:00 aprox.
  4. Lunch: 13:45-17:00. It will take place in the countryhouse Casa Rosinda. Googlemap

Jan 23, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #2 of 12
Attendees:

1. Carlos
2. Picodeloro
3. A
4. Hitoridekimasu
5. Jorgillo
6. Rodaballo
7. Bea
8. Rocoa
9. Charlieboa

Equipment:

Headphones

Sennheiser HD650 (defoamed) Stefan AudioArt Equinox
Sennheiser HD650
Headphile Darth Beyer 770/80 (bloodwood)
AKG K501 x2
AKG K501 (K701 pads)
AKG K701x3
Grado RS1x2
Grado HF1
Grado GS1000 (Blueapple)
Grado SR-225
AKG k 81 DJ
Sennheiser HD 200
Sennheiser HD 600
Sennheiser CX 300
Grado SR80
Goldring DR50
Yuin PK1
Sistema STAX SRS-3030
Grado SR 60
Grado SR 225
Grado SR 325 con cable Cardas

Amplifiers

Singlepower MPX3 Slam
Heed CanAmp
RSA Tomahawk
Meier-Audio Corda Move
Little Dot II+
PICmoy Gi&ntilde;ar
PICA-1 (*A-1 )
PICaudio Altair
PICaudio Millett Hybrid Max "BJT Diamond Buffer"
PICaudio Millett Hybrid Max "MOSFET Diamond Buffer"
ProJect HeadBox
Algunos CMOY
Evilfire cmoy modified by Pic Audio
Graham Slee Solo Amp
LDMT
Headfive
Supermicro
GoVibe7
iBasso D1
Musical Fidelity X Cans V3
Antique Sound Lab "custom"
Headroom Home
Creek OBH 11SE

Sources

Aqvox USB 2 D/A DAC
iMac CoreDuo 20"
Headroom MicroDac
iPod Nano 2G 8GB
iPod Touch 16 GB
iRiver H120
iRod 5G
iRiver H120
Portátil PC
EMU 0404 USB
Creative Zen V Plus
iPod Nano 3G
iPod Nano 4G
iPod Suffle 2G
Creative Zen Touch
Pioneer DV696
M-Audio Audiophile USB

Jan 25, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 12
Looks like you are going to have a fantastic meeting place, as usual, Carlos! We are meeting next weekend, February 2, so we are almost on the same schedule here in the San Francisco Bay Area. My house is not as impressive a location as that hotel, but more importantly I can imagine that the meal(s) for your meet will be on a different level altogether. We will have some beautiful wine, beer, and other beverages, but meet food is usually quite different here. Maybe we can make a special effort to match the Santiago de Compostela standard!
tongue.gif
Best of luck at your meet and we all look forward to the pics and impressions, so don't forget the glamour shots of your meal!

Cheers

Jan 25, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #4 of 12
Hi Voltron! This is becoming more than a coincidence. What are the odds of celebrating our respective meets on the same dates time after time?
smily_headphones1.gif
. From now on I officially declare our two cities "sisters", at least for Head-fi meets. Let me put it in the title for all to know
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, this time our meet will be in a nice place with fantastic surroundings. The hotel has quite a view over the city outskirts, perfect for relaxing after an intensive session of listening. We have not planned our lunch yet, but it will be great as always, I suppose
smily_headphones1.gif
. We are thinking in something more traditional than in other ocassions, maybe in a place in the countryside. We will take some pictures specially for our friends in San Francisco. Please, take some ones of your meet for us!
smily_headphones1.gif
. We would like to see the in-famous american meet food XDXD

Jan 26, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #5 of 12
What an honor! Maybe we can rename our meet the Mayberry de Compostela! As it stands, we have to hope that my house isn't flooded and this endless rain finally ends.

We will post up way too many pics, and I will try to include some of our infamous meet grub.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 5, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #7 of 12
Carlos and company, your sister city Head-Fiers in the San Francisco Bay Area wish you all a wonderful meet this Saturday. I have been waiting to post pictures of the actual toast made to you, but for now we will start with these fine photos of the snacks and wine taken by Iron_Dreamer:

dsc0478mf5.jpg

dsc0471pj4.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

The selection of Spanish wines was provided by ronin74, and the highlight was the Santiago Ruiz that we used for the toast. Coming from Rias Baixas, only 135 kilometers from Santiago de Campostela according to Google, it seemed to Terry and the rest of us that it would make a fine choice for a toast. It did indeed, and we also enjoyed some fabulous cookies and candied nuts (amazing!) made by Bigguy's lovely wife, some fine Italian pannetone bread brought by episiarch, and even some Scotch whisky donated by someone else, but I don't know who. I had intended to find some Spanish cheeses and maybe get/make some tapas but that was one detail that didn't get done. Instead, we had a rather appropriate mix of American and European food and drinks that hit the spot.

In the picture of our toast to Santiago de Campostela, the toasters are a coast-to-coast collection of U.S. Head-Fiers. From left to right, we have Frank Cooter from Santa Barbara in Southern California, Agile_One from Florida, ronin74 and yours truly from the San Francisco area, and immtbiker from New York. We all wished you well and each and every one of us hope to attend a meet in your fair city and hope you will do the same in one or more of our areas as well. CanJam08 is only three months away and it happening in Southern Florida, which is conveniently located on the East coast of the U.S. (hint, hint
wink.gif
)

For our lunch, we did not match the glamour or gourmet standard of your usual meals in Campostela but we had stacks of gourmet pizza, bread sticks and even vegan pasta from Mauro's Pasta in Fairfax. It tasted fantastic with the locally brewed amber ale we had in a small keg from Iron Springs Brewery. When we picked up the pizza, I learned that the owner and chef at Mauro's was the original owner of the brewery too, so that was interesting!

Well, I hope to post some more pics of our toast and so forth, but you can find the whole story of our crazy Mayberry Meet in the impressions forum. I hope you post up plenty of impressions of gear and good times from your meet as well.

Salud mis amigos!

***Updated with toast pics taken by thrice.

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 12
Hello
I hope to go with this equipment Santiago:
Musical Fidelity S Can v3
Antique sound Lab "custom"
STAX SRS 3030
Some Grados(SR 60, SR 225, SR 325 with Cardas cable)
Sennheiser 650 with Cardas cable

Rodrigo

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #10 of 12
¡Salud!

Greeting to all the headfiers who atended the meet, specially to the toasters. Nice touch, guys.

Wow, Voltron, I have just readed the impressions thread. I have been very busy this week and could not visit Head-Fi before. What a wonderful meet you had! One of the best I have seen in this forum
smily_headphones1.gif
. I liked specially the merry atmosphere of the pictures. It seems the meet was more a party than a formal meet. By the way, your home looks fantastic
smily_headphones1.gif

About the food, well, I do not know...
smily_headphones1.gif
But certainly you had enough to drink, and this is what matters
smily_headphones1.gif
. The beer keg is a marvelous idea. Pity that our local beer is not very good.
You would not believe it, but I had a bottle of Santiago Ruiz this past weekend. This is a strange coincidence, because I am not a big lover of albariño wines and I do not usually drink them. They are recognized among the best whites wines in the world, but I have my particular tastes and prefer godello. Anyway, I loved it and I am sure that I will repeat again soon. It is an amazing wine to drink with seafood or fish. I am amazed that this wine reached San Francisco. It does not have a big production and the demand is high. Great pick, ronin74!

Bodega Santiago Ruiz

A question: how many days lasted the meet? 3 days? It was more a vacation than a meet XDXD. I love it. Maybe we should adopt your model... We are still growing, but wait and see!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
¡Salud!

Greeting to all the headfiers who atended the meet, specially to the toasters. Nice touch, guys.

Wow, Voltron, I have just readed the impressions thread. I have been very busy this week and could not visit Head-Fi before. What a wonderful meet you had! One of the best I have seen in this forum
smily_headphones1.gif
. I liked specially the merry atmosphere of the pictures. It seems the meet was more a party than a formal meet. By the way, your home looks fantastic
smily_headphones1.gif

About the food, well, I do not know...
smily_headphones1.gif
But certainly you had enough to drink, and this is what matters
smily_headphones1.gif
. The beer keg is a marvelous idea. Pity that our local beer is not very good.

You would not believe it, but I had a bottle of Santiago Ruiz this past weekend. This is a strange coincidence, because I am not a big lover of albariño wines and I do not usually drink them. They are recognized among the best whites wines in the world, but I have my particular tastes and prefer godello. Anyway, I loved it and I am sure that I will repeat again soon. It is an amazing wine to drink with seafood or fish. I am amazed that this wine reached San Francisco. It does not have a big production and the demand is high. Great pick, ronin74!

Bodega Santiago Ruiz

A question: how many days lasted the meet? 3 days? It was more a vacation than a meet XDXD. I love it. Maybe we should adopt your model... We are still growing, but wait and see!
smily_headphones1.gif

Carlos-

The Santiago Ruiz is just another great coincidence among many that created our sister-city connection! Yes, ronin74 has great sources and great taste, and we enjoyed his selections very much. There were a few bottles of California wine as well given that the meet wore on until midnight or later. As for the party atmosphere, that was my exact hope in collecting together the group of people who attended, and it worked! We had about 10 people staying for the long weekend from Thursday until Sunday/Monday morning, but the meet portion itself was all day and night Saturday. We have had many weekend meets, but being in one house rather than hotel rooms was a fun change of pace. You should try it sometime if you have somebody crazy enough to open up their home to a bunch of audio nuts!

Well, enjoy your meet on Saturday at that beautiful hotel, and we will look forward to the pictures and impressions.

Cheers, Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back