Santana's latest... Notice to all EAC/Foobar useres
Feb 7, 2006 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Jasper994

Organizer for Can Jam '09
Just got the Santana - All That I Am album and found that I can't rip it because of the SunnComm copy protection on it. While the latest copy protection software does ask you if you would like to install it, it does not allow you to copy your new CD into anything other than WMA with DRM.

If you're like me, this just doesn't fly! For one, I refuse to use piss poor ripping software. Which software I choose to rip with should be my choice, and I should not have to settle for ripping with software that often results in flawed copies. Two, I refuse to be forced into using a specific format for my own personal uses. Particularly when the solution is substandard. If Sony/BMG is going to use this garbage, I'm going to boycott them and their artists. Sad because I like Santana...

<sorry for the typeo in the title, I'm a little pissed>

Feb 7, 2006 at 6:15 AM Post #3 of 27
You shouldn't have allowed it to install software on your computer, because if you hadn't you could do whatever you wanted, but we're not allowed to talk about that here. Sorry.

Feb 7, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
You shouldn't have allowed it to install software on your computer, because if you hadn't you could do whatever you wanted, but we're not allowed to talk about that here. Sorry.

I didn't let it install... EAC acts like it's ripping but when you play it back the music has a whole bunch of skips.

Feb 7, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #5 of 27
I heard that there is an apology posted on santana's site about this er something along those lines

http://santana.com/frameset2.html

I would say its was the archieved news 11/16/05 post but for some reason nothing is there...hmm

Feb 7, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #6 of 27
It's a real pity as far as Santana is concerned. I really love just about everything he's done since he came back on the scene with Supernatural. So much so that I have Supernatural in CD, Concert DVD, and DVD-Audio, along with Shaman on CD. I really like some of the tracks on the new album, but since I can't rip it to my computer and listen to it the way I normally listen to music, the album is useless to me.
mad.gif

Feb 7, 2006 at 8:45 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
I didn't let it install... EAC acts like it's ripping but when you play it back the music has a whole bunch of skips.

Like I said, that's because you let it install the software. If you saw the screen asking for your permission, it's too late. Plenty of info on the web at other sites, but you have to go in now and remove the copy protection software installed on your computer and load the CD without allowing it to run. I'd tell you more but it would just get deleted.

Feb 7, 2006 at 8:48 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

I encountered this with two of the CDs I own, although it was only present on the last track (which was annoying).

Feb 7, 2006 at 10:21 AM Post #9 of 27
Dude - I feel for you. I really hate Sony and BMG for trying this type of crap. However, Davey is correct. If you let the CD prompt come up - then it was already too late. Search the web or call me if you want to know how to get around the DRM.

Feb 7, 2006 at 11:03 AM Post #10 of 27
wasn't that the whole point of the class action lawsuit? That they have to get rid of the discrete auto-installing software? When you do drop the disk in the tray it pulls up the EULA agreement which you must agree to in order to use the disc. If you do so, it installs its software.

Feb 7, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #11 of 27
Hmm, does this reply to ALL regional releases of "All that I am"? I'm in the UK and need to pick it up but I won't even bother if it's got the copy protection on it...

Feb 7, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Just another reason to disable cd-autoplay with tweakui
wink.gif

Luckily I've already done that
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

When you do drop the disk in the tray it pulls up the EULA agreement which you must agree to in order to use the disc. If you do so, it installs its software.

But like we said, by that point it has already installed the SbcpHid driver on your computer so you can't make a copy unless you agree to the software management and follow their guidelines.

If you want to check ...

Click the Start button and select Control Panel from the Start Menu.

Double-click on the System control panel icon.

Select the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button.

Configure Device Manager by clicking "Show hidden devices" and "Devices by connection," both from the View menu, and the SbcpHid driver should appear on the list.

Feb 7, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Just another reason to disable cd-autoplay with tweakui
wink.gif

Or just use a Mac, which ripped mine without a problem.....

Alas, I don't think this will last forever, the Mac is becoming more and more PC like (including intel chips now) so they will probably start getting stuff like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back