Santana is pretty awesome through cans
Oct 30, 2006 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

ozshadow

500+ Head-Fier
I absolutely love listening to "Why Don't You and I" through cans. It has almost everything in it, all recorded very well.

Oct 30, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 26
I agree, I love listening to the live version of Black Magic Woman, especially on my Grados - the wailing guitar sounds so clean and pristine

Oct 30, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 26
Dont get me wrong,but do you really think Santana is a GREAT guitarist?He may be a good musician but I cant see anything special about his playing.
I think he might have gone his way with any other instrument.To make myself more clear,compare him with Eric Clapton,Jimi Hendrix or Ritchie Blackmore etc...
By the way,I know its not about the topic at all.I just couldnt stop myself
wink.gif

Oct 30, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramus
Dont get me wrong,but do you really think Santana is a GREAT guitarist?He may be a good musician but I cant see anything special about his playing.
I think he might have gone his way with any other instrument.To make myself more clear,compare him with Eric Clapton,Jimi Hendrix or Ritchie Blackmore etc...
By the way,I know its not about the topic at all.I just couldnt stop myself
wink.gif

Santana sounds good through anything (speaker, heaphones, and live). He IS a very good guitarist for his style of playing. The Nintendo generation seems to think the faster you play the better you are. But his tone and controll of the guitar and his sensibility is what makes him stand out. That's far more important than someone running through scales with a metronome all day and saying look how fast and ignorant I can play. Anyone teenager could spend a couple months doing that and playing fast but it takes years for someone to get that kind of control and senibility.

Oct 30, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 26
I do enjoy quite a bit of Santana, and I can appreciate his tone and control, but honestly, it's nowhere near the best I've heard. In my opinion, it's sort of dry and "inorganic." His variety is also not the widest I've heard, same scales. Does this mean I dislike his music? Not at all. I happily listen to Santana quite often.

Oct 30, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by wax4213
I do enjoy quite a bit of Santana, and I can appreciate his tone and control, but honestly, it's nowhere near the best I've heard. In my opinion, it's sort of dry and "inorganic." His variety is also not the widest I've heard, same scales. Does this mean I dislike his music? Not at all. I happily listen to Santana quite often.

I agree - he's not the best I've heard either. And frankly, like SRV he gets old after a short time because of the same types of riffs, etc. I was just pointing out that he is very good despite people thinking his stuff is relatively simple to play (which it is).

Oct 30, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #8 of 26
Anyone teenager could spend a couple months doing that and playing fast but it takes years for someone to get that kind of control and senibility.

I totally agree with you and I think it also needs something more than years to reach that level.May this be what we call talent.That's why I gave some examples generally regarded by their"sensibility",not by their freaking extremely playings.For example I consider BB King,SRV or David Gilmour as a great guitarists just because of that and don't think the same for John Petrucci.

What I am trying to say is Santana doesn't have great control over his guitar and doesn't have the skills to be a good guitarist.He is just a guy making his music by guitar.He is absolutely overrated as a guitarist.Anyway,may be I should open another thread for this.

Oct 30, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

What I am trying to say is Santana doesn't have great control over his guitar and doesn't have the skills to be a good guitarist.He is just a guy making his music by guitar.He is absolutely overrated as a guitarist

Wow, couldn't disagree more with that. He's definately not my favorite, but doesn't have control over his guitar
confused.gif
and not skilled enough to even be good? Wow again.

Yeah, another thread would be better if you want to discuss.

Oct 30, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

What I am trying to say is Santana doesn't have great control over his guitar and doesn't have the skills to be a good guitarist.He is just a guy making his music by guitar.He is absolutely overrated as a guitarist.Anyway,may be I should open another thread for this.

This is laugable
tongue.gif

Seen him twice and was in awe...both times..
Some wizzards use different magic, and this man, on the guitar, is a wizzard
cool.gif

as far as living guitarists..if he is not most peoples' top 5, there is preferences involved...

Oct 30, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #11 of 26
Haha, he's not in my top 5 by a long shot, but there are most definitely preferences involved for me
biggrin.gif
. In general, I'm a fan of blues, especially SRV and Clapton, good prog rock (Dream Theater is my favorite, few surprises there), or just good old rock rock. I'm quite often confused by Santana's choices that he makes while playing, primarily how long he sustains some notes. From the songs I've listened to, he cuts some short that I woulda held for longer, but hey, for things like that it's preference. Not a bad guitarist, but not one of the best in my opinion. Miles and miles better than me
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #13 of 26
...has no real relevance to the topic! Woo!

Actually, sadly enough, I don't know any of Dime's work. There are some huge holes in my musical knowledge.

Oct 30, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by wax4213
...has no real relevance to the topic! Woo!

Actually, sadly enough, I don't know any of Dime's work. There are some huge holes in my musical knowledge.

I missed Dime when he was in his prime but caught up recently after hearing about his death.

He's one of the best "shreaders". I'd say Steve Vai or Frank Gambale (sorry Steve but I think Frank is better) are two of the best "technical" players, and I like the color blue (since we are completely off topic).

Oct 30, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #15 of 26
The Man is a god. He has been a god for a long time. When I saw him at Woodstock in 1969- he was a God. It wan't his playing, it was the Vibe of the totality of him and his band. His Message, not his playing ability. When I saw him numerous times at The Fillmores, he still was a God. God was playing through him and his band. He was and is a pathway to The Infinite. There were many enlightened people back then. There are still some today. Santana's real talent might just be his knowledge of philosophy, anthropology, etc. As a musician of some sort, I feel his playing and others around me. Spirits are truly dancing in the flesh. Even though he was gone very commerical these days, his music uplifts people. He is a national treasure!
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back