Santa needs help in choosing a closed, full-size headphone
Dec 11, 2014 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tegrah

Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I'm in need of some advice (or Santa is).

I'm looking for a pair of headphones that are closed, full-size and are absolutely not portable (so no "dj-style" rotation, no foldability), with about a $250 budget, but Santa is willing to buy used headphones so the price range might fluctuate. Comfort is really important here, it'll be a strictly indoor headphone for an almost all-day long use, and all foldable headphones I've tried feel so clumsy (including my father's 7506 and my MDR-V55, which besides that is also really painful to wear on the long term).
What's important to consider is that I generally listen to fast paced, energetic, mostly heavy music. I looked into the "Headphones for metal" thread, I found the Shure SRH840 to be a fairly good choice, but then again, it is not very recommended for black metal according to OP, which is a huge bummer. The rest of the headphones that would fit my needs are all open, which is something I really don't want, I've never been comfortable with open headphones, I really dislike sound leakage.

So I'm wondering if I should go with the Shure, or is there something that would be better for my metal and silly electropop? I should mention that so far I lived my life with wireless headphones (a Sony and a Sennheiser) and the aforementioned V55, so really anything is an improvement for me.
Thanks in advance!

Edit: damn it, I absolutely missed out on the fact that the Shure is also collapsible. Well then I'm open to ideas, really.

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 8
  Hello everyone, I'm in need of some advice (or Santa is).

I'm looking for a pair of headphones that are closed, full-size and are absolutely not portable (so no "dj-style" rotation, no foldability), with about a $250 budget, but Santa is willing to buy used headphones so the price range might fluctuate. Comfort is really important here, it'll be a strictly indoor headphone for an almost all-day long use, and all foldable headphones I've tried feel so clumsy (including my father's 7506 and my MDR-V55, which besides that is also really painful to wear on the long term).
What's important to consider is that I generally listen to fast paced, energetic, mostly heavy music. I looked into the "Headphones for metal" thread, I found the Shure SRH840 to be a fairly good choice, but then again, it is not very recommended for black metal according to OP, which is a huge bummer. The rest of the headphones that would fit my needs are all open, which is something I really don't want, I've never been comfortable with open headphones, I really dislike sound leakage.

So I'm wondering if I should go with the Shure, or is there something that would be better for my metal and silly electropop? I should mention that so far I lived my life with wireless headphones (a Sony and a Sennheiser) and the aforementioned V55, so really anything is an improvement for me.
Thanks in advance!

Edit: damn it, I absolutely missed out on the fact that the Shure is also collapsible. Well then I'm open to ideas, really.

Hi,

You should also consider SoundMagic HP150.

Sony MDR-1R are very comfortable, definitely more comfortable than SRH-840. Their sound is smooth and sweet but it's not the most detailed or fastest headphone, that's sure.

Another good option that comes to mind is Takstar Pro 80 + HM5 Pads. You can add a good DAC/Amp like Fiio E10K (if you don't have one yet) - still under 250.

Best Luck!

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 8
I did read the details in that thread, but I'm curious - is that table just the results of one head-fier's opinions?

Personally, I think the entire "These headphones are good/bad for a particular sub-niche-genre" thing is pretty ridiculous. Headphones have unique sound signatures and strengths & weaknesses. IMHO, if you like the way a headphone sounds, you will like it regardless of whether you are listening to death metal or Mozart. And, even more importantly, if you do NOT like the way a headphone sounds, I don't think you will suddenly start appreciating it when a Barry Manilow song comes on. We ask "what kind of music do you want to listen to" when people come here looking for headphones, but when I do that, it's not because I'm picking headphones good for that genre, but rather because the genre gives me clues about what type of sound signature the person might enjoy. Rap, Hip-Hop & EDM = headphones with an overly emphasized bass signature. Classical = neutral response with a wide soundstage, etc, etc. It's just easier for a noob head-fier to tell us the music they listen to.

But, a headphone that is specifically good for some types of metal, but not specifically for "black metal"? I don't have any idea what that means or why the guy that built that list believes that.

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #4 of 8
Guess I just have to put up with the fact that most closed headphones around that price are foldable/have rotating cups. I'm just worried about the comfort. Especially with the 1R, I have checked that out before and they appear so small, I'm worried they would get uncomfortable on the long term listening. Honestly I've been meaning to buy a sturdy, huge beast. The HP150 looks really nice though.
Another good option that comes to mind is Takstar Pro 80 + HM5 Pads. You can add a good DAC/Amp like Fiio E10K (if you don't have one yet) - still under 250.

Why does it need a replacement pad? Are the stock pads that terrible?

Personally, I think the entire "These headphones are good/bad for a particular sub-niche-genre" thing is pretty ridiculous. Headphones have unique sound signatures and strengths & weaknesses.
We ask "what kind of music do you want to listen to" when people come here looking for headphones, but when I do that, it's not because I'm picking headphones good for that genre, but rather because the genre gives me clues about what type of sound signature the person might enjoy.

Of course, I did not mean that I think there would be specific headphones that are prefect for one genre, just wanted to give an idea about what my needs are. And I looked into that thread because that seemed to be the most fitting, but of course I don't believe there can't be other headphones that are just as good for what I'm listening to, I was just using it as a starting point.

I've also been thinking about the ATH-50x, but I recall reading somewhere that those could get painful to wear after a while, is that true?

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 8
(...)
Why does it need a replacement pad? Are the stock pads that terrible?

No, stock pads are ok, but HM5 pads are huge and nice quality. Most people tend to agree that comfort goes from 7 to 9 or 10 (stock pads vs HM5 Pads)
It's just something optional, but if you are looking for great comfort, then you might enjoy them very much.

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 8
I'm really liking the SoundMagic HP150 for how absolutely huge it is, kinda leaning towards it now. I don't have any experience with the brand though, so I feel like I'm going in blind and it makes me slightly nervous about buying it.

I've been reading very contradictory reviews about the ATH-M50x regarding its comfort level. It's supposed to have improved earcups compared to the original M50, but I still see people complaining about it. It would be for an almost all day use, so it's really an issue and matters a lot. Any opinions on that?

I've also been considering the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro (at 80 ohms, I suppose), would that be suitable for me and my powerful, noisy music or are they too flat for that?

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 8
  I'm really liking the SoundMagic HP150 for how absolutely huge it is, kinda leaning towards it now. I don't have any experience with the brand though, so I feel like I'm going in blind and it makes me slightly nervous about buying it.

I've been reading very contradictory reviews about the ATH-M50x regarding its comfort level. It's supposed to have improved earcups compared to the original M50, but I still see people complaining about it. It would be for an almost all day use, so it's really an issue and matters a lot. Any opinions on that?

I've also been considering the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro (at 80 ohms, I suppose), would that be suitable for me and my powerful, noisy music or are they too flat for that?

DT770 80 Ohm version has more bass while 250 Ohm versions are more balanced but still have powerful bass.

Dec 15, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #8 of 8
It's still undecided, I'm afraid of the DT-770 Pro being far too flat.

Which Superlux model would be the most fitting for me? I assume I need the bass boost, if we consider that then which one? The 681 EVO?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back