Santa is bringing me new headphones this year! (He just needs to know which ones to buy first)
Dec 10, 2014 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Navii85

New Head-Fier
What I'm looking for is a new set of cans for under or around $200. I currently have a pair of Grado SR60is (but I'm looking to upgrade). I know that I really should get a closed back set but I'm absolutely in love with the Grado sound signature, mostly because I listen to a lot of jazz/classical/folk/rock although I do like electronic/rap/hip-hop on occasion. I wouldn't mind a touch more bass (but only if it's clean). I don't have an amp/dac but I really want to invest in a portable rig once my pocketbook recovers from the holidays. Should I just get a higher model of Grado or should I get a closed set? I've heard that there are diminishing returns with upgrading to anything less than the SR325i (now e) in the Grado line. I've also heard great things about the ATH-M50X for this price range but I figured that I better check here first for some advice, maybe there's something new and exiting out there I haven't heard about yet! I'm fairly new to this and there's no real way for me to test anything out because I live in the middle of nowhere.     

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 11
Since you have the 60i (there is no 60is), I would save up for the 325e.  It has a bit more bass and is less bright than the 325is.

The m50X has a "v" shaped sound signature, which you may or may not like.  If your like the Grado mids, you probably won't like it.  It's not my cup of tea, as I generally don't like recessed mids.  Mids is where things like vocals and guitars live.  Those who want somewhat emphasized bass; don't mind a bit of a bright top end; and are OK with pulled back mids will probably favor the M50 family.

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #3 of 11
I probably will buy myself the 325e at some point in the near future, but my father has set the budget at $200 for X-mas. Do you have any other suggestions? I would love to hear them!

Dec 11, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 11
Yeah, that's not going to fly because my dad thinks that spending that much on headphones is ridiculous. Can anyone give me some suggestions for a $200 set of cans?  

Dec 11, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #6 of 11
Audio Technica AD-900X. Honestly I like them better than the PS500e, which is the only Grado I've ever heard. I did like them, don't get me wrong, but they are overpriced as crap IMO. Anyway, look up my AD-900X review for details. It's a headphone with natural tonality, plenty of midrange and treble energy, clean and punchy bass, and soundstage that blows Grado out of the park. 

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 11
 SR225e?

Maybe? I don't know. I've heard that unless you have the $300 for the SR325e it is not worth it to upgrade with another set of Grado headphones. Have you ever heard the 225e? Because I'm definitely wondering if that's true or just something that's making it's way through the rumor mill...

Audio Technica AD-900X. Honestly I like them better than the PS500e, which is the only Grado I've ever heard. I did like them, don't get me wrong, but they are overpriced as crap IMO. Anyway, look up my AD-900X review for details. It's a headphone with natural tonality, plenty of midrange and treble energy, clean and punchy bass, and soundstage that blows Grado out of the park. 

Thank you for your honest response and recommendation! I will definitely check it out! Have any ideas on a closed set? I'm toying with the idea of getting a pair (although I know it will mean giving up the airiness and soundstage).   

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #10 of 11

Maybe? I don't know. I've heard that unless you have the $300 for the SR325e it is not worth it to upgrade with another set of Grado headphones. Have you ever heard the 225e? Because I'm definitely wondering if that's true or just something that's making it's way through the rumor mill...

Oh yeah I forgot you have the SR60i. Just save your cash - can't you just have $200 cash? Over here it's preferred actually (unless you really, really, really know the kid you're giving to and can get what he likes), so the kids can pool all their gifts and get what they really want (and not necessarily around Christmas/bday season either - like keeping the cash for when you need new athletic shoes).

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #11 of 11
So, just an update. Santa decided to get me the ATH-AD900x, I'm super excited to get them and see what they sound like. I've noticed that there aren't many reviews for them here, I might try my hand at writing one :)

Thanks to everyone for all the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back