Santa brought me the wrong headphones
Dec 25, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by kipman725 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actualy if you get sent a better item via mail order your allowed to keep it. Nothing legaly or to me moraly wrong about this.

well you are somewhat selectively reading the FTC guidleines yes if you are sent merchadise that is unsolicited yes you can keep it. The example the FTC uses is you order a free sample of something and the vendor sends you athe sample with 4 more and bills you for the 4 you DID NOT ORDER. Yes in this case you may keep the goods as you did not order them and the vendor is attempting to scam you.
In the case of an honest shipping error the FTCs guidance is very different. They state you should notify the shipper of the error and offer to return the merchadise providing they send you waht you ordered and pay for the return shipping.
here is the FTC's actual guidance
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...ucts/pro15.pdf
also just because something is legal does not mean it is ethical or morally correct. I am an extremely liberal person but taking advantage of an error without offering to fix it is just wrong. It does not matter if it is you overpaying and the cashier letting you know you provided too much cash or you receiving something you did not pay for.

I guess I am in the minority here but it is interesting that on all days we are talking about keeping something you did not pay for and it's ok. I am also not religious at all but think it is a hoot on Christmas we are saying it is ok to keep something you did not pay for rock on
cool.gif

Dec 25, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by kipman725 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actualy if you get sent a better item via mail order your allowed to keep it. Nothing legaly or to me moraly wrong about this.

According to the FTC, one is not legally bound to return or pay for merchandise received but not ordered. The law was put in place to stop the practice of companies sending out products no one purchased then expecting payment. I'm not sure if this applies to simple mistakes, but as far as I know, there is no law in place to cover such errors in favor of the merchandiser. The honest thing to do is contact the company.

BTW, you may be right legally, but your morals and spelling suck. If you're ever using the FS forums here, I'll sure remember your user name as well as the op's.

EDIT: Looks like John and I were scouting around the FTC site at the same time!

Dec 25, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. Hardly stealing. Companies ship the wrong stuff all the time (rarely in your favor) and expect you to bend over backward to fix it. This is their fault, and hardly makes OP a thief. Enjoy them if they are what you want. I always thought the K81DJ was more highly regarded at least when you figure in the price.

so because some companies or people do not act right we should all follow in their example? This is the lowest common denominator theory at its best maybe we should act as we would like the rest of the world to and maybe some will follow the positive example. I would not recommend doing something simply because others do it and it is some grand scheme evening of the scales

Dec 25, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #19 of 33
The OP may want to check his CC bill before we burn him on the stake. I ordered a 19 dollar cardas i/c from Headroom once and got a 200 dollar 650 cable instead. I did call them to tell them, and they paid for the swap but moral of this story they billed me for the wrong cable and took over a month to repay me.

Dec 26, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #20 of 33
Guys, I probably WILL end up calling the retailer and letting them know what happened...but not out of any moral/ethical obligations...I simply wanted the K81s and I'm not really happy with the K181s. Believe it or not, I was actually pissed off when I opened the box. and to the poster with the qoute below...please DO remember my name...I hope you never do business with me becasue you sound like a royal pain in the @**.

boomana;3562311 said:
BTW, you may be right legally, but your morals and spelling suck. If you're ever using the FS forums here, I'll sure remember your user name as well as the op's.

Dec 26, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #21 of 33
I just emailed the retailer:

Hello - I ordered the K81 DJ, but you sent me the K181 (which is the higher model). Would you like to send me the K81s and then I'll send the K181s back to you (all shipping at your cost)? It's totally up to you (I can keep the K181s if you want to avoid the hassle). BUT if you decide to do this exchange, I will mot send back the K181s until I recieve the K81s (I do not not want to risk being without a headphone).

...I think this puts me in good with the karma police...

Dec 26, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #22 of 33
I find it funny how the moral police is coming in here and demanding the guy send them back.I certainly hope you have never done a single thing wrong in your life to go and bash this guy.I'm not saying its wrong or right but it is the company's fault.If i was getting some headphones and waited and was so happy when they finally come.Oh but wait there not the ones i ordered there actually the higher end model.I certainly know i would be mad at the company and frankly scared to send them back in fear of not having anything for months.(although the op did just the right thing in wording his email)So anyway i just think you "perfect people" should give the guy a break.It was the company's fault they messed and they might one day pay the price for it.Thats what happens when people don't pay enough attention to their job.And sometimes people get fired because of it.So everyone needs to chill out.

Dec 26, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #23 of 33
It's quite fascinating that you choose to attack people who think it's a good idea for someone to act ethically. Of course it's the company's mistake, but each person needs to decide for himself who he wants to be in this world, and how he want to conduct himself regardless of others' mistakes, actions or reactions. The op has already chosen to do the right thing, even if he had to think about it (like we all have to do). You have chosen to whine about people simply wanting him to do the right thing. He has chosen who he wants to be in the world today, and you have revealed your choice of who you are at this time in your life. It's all very interesting.

Dec 26, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #24 of 33
Just got this reply from the retailer:

"Hi sorry about that and thanks for your email, OK you received a
great deal keep them on us, but please remove your negative feedback as that
would be appropriate at this time,

Thanks and enjoy"

...so, all is good and right in the world.

Dec 26, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #27 of 33
I keep trying to clear my PM folder, but it doesn't work.

...what's up?

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
alrose321,

clear your pms or send me an email!

Dec 26, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #28 of 33
Are you checking them off and then sending them to delete? PM a mod if there's still a problem. Email me in the meantime if you can't get it to work.

EDIT: or pm me your email address

Dec 26, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #29 of 33
actually it is because I have made mistakes and learned from them that I offered my thoughts. actually the op is cool and is contacting the shipped. my issue is with the folks that think it is ok to profit from someone elses honest mistake. so in your world only the perfect should offer comment, interesting? Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it funny how the moral police is coming in here and demanding the guy send them back.I certainly hope you have never done a single thing wrong in your life to go and bash this guy.I'm not saying its wrong or right but it is the company's fault.If i was getting some headphones and waited and was so happy when they finally come.Oh but wait there not the ones i ordered there actually the higher end model.I certainly know i would be mad at the company and frankly scared to send them back in fear of not having anything for months.(although the op did just the right thing in wording his email)So anyway i just think you "perfect people" should give the guy a break.It was the company's fault they messed and they might one day pay the price for it.Thats what happens when people don't pay enough attention to their job.And sometimes people get fired because of it.So everyone needs to chill out.

Dec 26, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #30 of 33
It's good that you had e-mailed them; it's commendable. At the same time, as it was the vendor's fault that they sent you the wrong product, I don't know why people found it compelled you to send the product back. A mistake by the vendor does not compel the buyer to account for its mistakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back