Santa brought me a MICRO DAC !
Dec 25, 2005 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

canloader

500+ Head-Fier
This little devil DAC just sounds incredible!
I can thank Tyll for plugging one in my laptop at the Summer So.Cal meet in Irvine. He can thank my GF for observing the look of audio bliss on my face.
Now I have to get home and tune in / Drop-out ~
DSC01792.jpg

Dec 25, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 12
Wow....Santa did right by you this year!!
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 12
I know how you feel - Santa brought me a micro stack
smily_headphones1.gif

The only problem is now I'm realizing the quality deficiencies of my music. I listen to a song on the micro stack, think to myself 'where did all that distortion come from?'. Then I listen to the same track on my ipod, hear said distortion but not as prominently, and realize it was there all along! A bit weird.

On the plus side, I'm also hearing lots of 'good' stuff I haven't noticed before.

So.... anyone have any recommendations for (very) good quality recordings? lol

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 12
off topic...but ^ rx7club member?
biggrin.gif
(if so take alook at my name).

Dec 26, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons
off topic...but ^ rx7club member?
biggrin.gif
(if so take alook at my name).

long ago, in a galaxy far away lol... that forum was a serious addiction!! my car is stored this year due to my school situation, so I try to keep my mind off it...

Dec 29, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 9kRPM
Awesome, congrats. I should be getting one soon too.
biggrin.gif
I need to figure out what amp to pair it with though.

That's really not a very hard choice!

I think I hear your Micro Dac quoting Scarface - "Say hello to my little friend...."

Dec 29, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #9 of 12
Impressions:
This little guy is very involving. Giving space and layering the sound as it was recorded. I have been hearing things.... hah OK, what I mean is going through known material the subtleties just jump out at you. Reverbs, kick drum pedals, rattling snares, volume swells, breathing between vocal passages.. I mean this is a really fantastic experience. HeadRoom does it right in a bulletproof small footprint of a DAC.

Dec 29, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #10 of 12
My Headroom unit arrives today (desktop unit with desktop amp/dac).

Are you happy with the USB connection? Have heard other comments on the board that this is "noisy" and introduces artifacts. Not sure if this is related to a noisy/old USB system, or even the older software.

Could you please summarize how you are set up software, and hardware wise with your system?

Thanks

Dec 30, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #12 of 12
Compaitibility? Im sure they work fine together, now if they synergize together that's another question, they are both fairly bright so i'd lean more towards a warmer sounding dac. But i've never heard the combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back