sansui 2000x, 5000x, or a new amp for HD 598s?
Dec 16, 2012 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Thurso

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased the HD 598s and like how they sound. I've been trying to find a amplifier to go with these as straight out of my titanium hd, the sound doesn't go loud enough. I'm a big noob when it comes to audio equipment so I've been reading a lot of info and trying to understand what is the best to pair with my headphones and it's kind of overwhelming.

I've read posts that claim old high ohm receivers sound hideous.. with 50ohm headphones (my HD598s) then I've read people that said they sound great with older receiver even though they are 600 ohms. So I've just been trying to figure out what's what. The only amps that I own are the sansui 2000x and 5000x they both sound really great and clear with my hd598s but when the volume is turned up a bit and i have rock music playing it sounds like there's only what I can describe as like a tinny blurring of the highs and was thinking maybe it's because the ohms are high on the receivers.

I've tried to look up what exactly the output impedance on the 2000x and 5000x and just get confused, I find listing of input impedance load impedance.

http://www.reelreports.com/store/Sansui-5000X-Stereophonic-Receiver-180652750920.html

http://www.thevintageknob.org/sansui-2000X.html

I'm a noob so I don't understand how it exactly works. All I see is that all the listing of impedance are not even at 100ohms. Maybe there is some formula to figuring it out but It's obvious that people know way more about this than I do.. so I just trust that my receivers have like 600+ohm impedance.

In that case, I figured maybe I should try another amp. I see there are some cheap ones on amazon like the fiio e6 or e7. Would I need to find one that matches my headphones? I read that your headphones should be higher than eight times your amps output. I just have no clue which one to purchase or even if I did if it would sound the same as my receiver. Any help would be greatly apprecaited. Thanks a bunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back