Sansa-Talk
Feb 4, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by classicalguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have some general Sansa questions and observations. I'll start with observations:

I got a V1 refurb Sansa C250 (2g) player, and I've rockboxed it. Really like rockbox, but I'm pretty disappointed in the sound quality. Very flat, lacks detail, dull, slow sounding. I'd appreciate anyone's rockbox settings for getting the best sound, but I have a feeling that Rockbox cannot put in what god [in this case the Sansa hardware designers] left out. Other than bad sound quality, seems like an ok player (except I hate proprietary cables), and rockbox, well, rocks.

Sansa Shaker. This is kind of a whacky product, but it's got some real plusses - takes aaa batteries and SD cards, and a standard usb mini cable. The question I have is whether it has the V2 hardware with good sound or the V1 hardware without bad sound. Anyone know? I think my 9 year old would love it, and maybe her Dad too if it sounds good.

Sansa Clip. I have a feeling I'm going to end up buying one of these the next time there is a sale. Supposedly very good sound (v2) (yea), FM (yea), standard mini-usb cable (yea), and the rockbox folks are working on a version for it - which would add gapless and other goodies if it happens. The bad is a non-replaceable battery (boo). Also, the Sansa discussion forum shows a lot of people with battery problems. Anyone know how to tell which ones have problems BEFORE you buy? Any other thoughts about this little guy?

Try A/Bing the original e250 firmware with rockbox. Update sandisk firmware to latest 1.02.18A. You may find you prefer the sound of the sandisk firmware over rockbox. To me, rockbox makes all my mp3s sound thinner, duller, muddier, compressed and on top of that, it adds hiss and background noise that isn't so prevalent when using the original e2XX firmware. With the OF, my music sounds cleaner, more lively, bassier, with more detail. Yes, you will have a gap with the original firmware, but the sound will be better IMHO. Also, the battery life is better with the original firmware. Rockbox seems to be too power hungry.

Feb 4, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #17 of 29
"Source" - for my statement that the rockbox folks appear to be working on rockbox for the Sansa V2s (including the clip):

SanDisk Sansa e200 v2, c200 v2, m200 (v2) and clip

LaBreaHead: I agree that companies are planning to make things that don't last. Still, there is something very satisfying about getting one's money's worth. Surely Sandisk could have designed in a removable battery, but why if we buy it and don't complain. I have many old audio things that still work great, including 20 year old B&W 801s, and a pair of cheap Kef Chorales that I'm listening to as I type this. My MP3 players have not fared so well, usually because I tend to lose them. But I'd like them to last.

DJGeorgeT: Good suggestion about trying the original firmware. I'll give it a shot. The answer is that I've NEVER listened to the old firmware - I just assumed it was worse. I have old firmware 1.01.05p. If I install the new firmware, will I loose rockbox (or have to reinstall it)?

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by classicalguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Source" - for my statement that the rockbox folks appear to be working on rockbox for the Sansa V2s (including the clip):

SanDisk Sansa e200 v2, c200 v2, m200 (v2) and clip

LaBreaHead: I agree that companies are planning to make things that don't last. Still, there is something very satisfying about getting one's money's worth. Surely Sandisk could have designed in a removable battery, but why if we buy it and don't complain. I have many old audio things that still work great, including 20 year old B&W 801s, and a pair of cheap Kef Chorales that I'm listening to as I type this. My MP3 players have not fared so well, usually because I tend to lose them. But I'd like them to last.

DJGeorgeT: Good suggestion about trying the original firmware. I'll give it a shot. The answer is that I've NEVER listened to the old firmware - I just assumed it was worse. I have old firmware 1.01.05p. If I install the new firmware, will I loose rockbox (or have to reinstall it)?

just run the rockbox patch and uninstall the bootloader to use the original firmware. To load the rockbox firmware, you know what to do.

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #20 of 29
I ordered a Sansa Clip from Amazon just now. Looking forward to hearing it.

I compared the Sansa v1 C250 with and without rockbox, and I agree that it sounds a little better WITHOUT rockbox. Still not great though.

I have not updated the firmware. However, I think the 1.02.18A firmware is for the model e200 not the c200. The sansa site suggests that all of the C200 firmwares for V1 start with 01.01 . . .

SanDisk | Products | Firmware Updates | Sansa Firmware Updater

I have version 01.01.05P which is not even listed on the site. Maybe the site is old and I have the latest version?

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #22 of 29
Well according to the Rockbox Dev, it won't be seen on the Clip.

And that is a official statement.

Feb 7, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #24 of 29
DJGeorgeT: it needs to be rockboxed for (1) gapless, which is a real problem with classical music, and (2) being able to select tracks by directory rather than by tags. At least those are the two big ones for me. I hate gaps.

Feb 7, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #25 of 29
but rockbox just sounds so crappy, at least that's the case with the c250 and e280. The Sansa firmware must be doing some EQing to sound better while rockbox must be flat flat boring.

Feb 11, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rockbox will not run on e2XX V2. I have my E280 V1 (soon to be replaced by V2) running rockbox. It is not hard, you just need V1 of the e2XX player.

You are right! I spent some quality trying again and now I wouldn't have a player without Rockbox. Great stuff and lots of options.
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #27 of 29
The V1 Sansas sound pretty crappy no matter what. I would really like to hear rockbox on the V2s. With gapless and filename control, the Clip would be near perfect (well, if it had a removable battery and SD card slot!). :)

-- Greg

Feb 12, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #28 of 29
Yahoo, my sansa clip arrived in today's mail. Only problem is that the battery was dead. Had to charge it. What concerns me is the reports of many clips having a self discharge problem where the battery wears out quickly even when the player is off. A dead battery on arrival may mean it is one of the problem ones. From what I've read, the only way to tell is to charge it up and see if it holds the charge when off.

What a great player. The screen is REALLY clear. Sound quality is excellent. I really wish it would sort by file names rather than just tags, as it's hard to find classical music with tags. I have not played with eq settings - any recommendations for KSC-75s? Also, for some odd reason, the sync cable didn't work with my powered usb 2.0 hub - had to plug it into my computer directly. Other devices and drives worked fine through the hub. It sounds MUCH better than the Sansa v 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back