Sansa Fuze vs Sony Walkmans
Jul 28, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #31 of 44
It wouldnt matter if I bought the Fuze - next week someone would tell me I really need to get the X1000/AMP3/HiFiMan. For mine, it comes down to finding a player with the sound you like and being prepared to enjoy it : I'm fortunate in that I now have 3 that make me happy -

- Cowon iaudio 7 : crap interface but great SQ and a powerful little amp
- Samsung P2 - crap interface but very good SQ
- Sony A739 - great interface and great SQ, albeit with a less powerful amp than the Cowon

As for importing the Fuze, I would have so many electronic goods on a plane tonight if we could import them from Amazon : they refuse to deliver to any non-US address for every piece of electronics I have tried to order.

Jul 28, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #32 of 44
Hi,

I would probably get the sansa e260 v2. The version 2 has the same chip as the clip/fuse. They can be found on special for around half their retail price. They have better video features, nicer looking than the fuse/clip - and similar sound quality (ive heard).

Cheers,

Steve.

Jul 28, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #33 of 44
I've owned the e280 v2, and I find the Fuze form/style much more preferable. What better video features does the e260 have over the Fuze. Just curious. The e2x0 are easy to get cheap (refurbed) on Woot! however.

Jul 28, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #34 of 44
Hi,

Sorry I was thinking of the clip which has a smaller screen and less memory (1 or 2MB) whereas the 260 v2 has a larger and higher resolution screen and 4GB of memry for a lower price. I got a sansa e260 v2 for $86 AUS ($199 RRP) whereas the clip was at least $99 AUS or Fuse $129 AUS.

Cheers,

Steve.

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #35 of 44
Understand. No doubt the e260 has better video than the Clip, and expandability, but the Fuze, to my experience, is a much nicer DAP than the e280 (and I paid $75 for an 8GB model, NIB), so they are a good value as well (and to me, worth more $$ than the Sansa e2x0 line).

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #37 of 44
Glad the IPV+rockbox is working for you. I had an iPod video 5.5g and tried using rockbox, but the interface was too much hassle for me (and my old eyes). I realize it's a better OS for SQ, and if they ever release a final version for the Fuze v2, I may give it a shot. But I found it really too much to think about, and gave up on it.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #38 of 44
I've never run rockbox on an ipod video, but i can tell you that if you like to watch tiny movies, the stock ipod firmware will always do a better job on the ipv than rockbox will, because rockbox is unlikely to ever support the video decoder hardware in the ipv.

The fuze has a much faster cpu than the ipv and roughly the same screen (iirc), so as far as the mpegplayer plugin in rockbox is concerned, the fuze is the better video player of the two. In rockbox.

Not that rockbox on the fuze is ready for general consumption yet, but i've been running it for weeks.

Jul 28, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you point me to the download for the RC? And can it be run on the v2, which is what I have?

It can't run on the v2 yet. The v2 appears to have a different SoC - believed to be a newer version of the same thing, so once the differences are figured out it should be easier to add support for the fuze v2 than it was to add support for the fuze.

The Official Test Build thread for Fuze and e200v2 is here:

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=22137.0

Jul 28, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony doesn't do FLAC. Fuze doesn't have the strongest amp, so not sure how it would drive the ATH AD700.

Fuze drives my AD700s fine.

Also, rockbox works great on a V1 fuze. Another reason to find one in the FS section.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #43 of 44
iirc there are still some sd access issues in rockbox for some people on the fuze, but not for most people.

Lets just put it this way: Back stuff up, because there is a non-zero possibility that you'll have to reformat the flash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back