Sansa Fuze questions: playlists, transfer modes, future rockbox
Nov 3, 2008 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

blub

New Head-Fier
Hi!,

I've been following some threads on these forums for a while now, finding a lot of info on DAP, headphones and portable amps. I'm about to go and buy my first really decent DAP (being to often to far away from my CD's and home-stereo). To help me decide between the Fuze, the Cowon D2 and a Sony A829 or S639 , I've still got some questions about the Fuze maybe some of you know the answers to:

1/ I remember reading somewhere that you can't make playlists with songs on the internal memory and with songs on the external micro-SD-card together. Is this true??

2/ I've also read that the player is UMS and MTP, but that in one mode, you can't play songs added in the other mode! :s As I suppose this is a software limitation, I was wondering if this problem was already fixed?

3/ I know rockbox isn't finalized yet for this player, but I hope it will be one day. Maybe someone with a rockboxed e200 or developping Rockbox knows/can predict this (as I don't want to disturb the developers thread on the rockbox-forum):
a) I was wondering if you can make playlists on the go with Rockbox, than play those playlist back with the original firmware?
b) can you make playlists with both songs on the internal memory and songs on the external micro-SD-card?

4/ does it have a clock with alarm function? (not really necessary, but can be usefull for sleepy-heads on-the-go like me
tongue.gif
)

I'm really liking what I've found about the Fuze, the user appreciations, reviews, memory-expansion, possibilities, price... But I have to admit the two first questions might make me lean more towards another of the above mentionned player
confused_face(1).gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 9
nobody has any experience with these functionalities of the Fuze?

Maybe I'm just to impatient, having just got my first job payment and looking really really forward to buy one and listen to my music on-the-go again
smile.gif
(I'm missing it
frown.gif
)

Nov 4, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 9
thanks for the reply!!
Only being able to play files added in the same mode (MTP or UMS) as the player is on at the moment, was a serious concern.

In the meanwhile , I've found some threads telling that it would be possible to make playlists with songs on both the internal and the external memory , but only in .PLA -format, and not in .M3U-format.
confused_face.gif

I suppose that the most important thing I'll have to figure out now, is how to make .PLA -playlist with Winamp, as I manage my music with Winamp on my computer.

Does anyone have any experience with making .PLA-playlists with Winamp for the Fuze? (in MSC and/or UMS)

Nov 4, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 9
mh, I just found where I read about the impossibility of reading files you added in the other mode: in the Sansa Fuze Review on Anythingbutipod (by Grahm Skee):

"I have been successful in switching back and forth between the two modes without corrupting the library. Everything seems to work fine, but you can only see the media you add in the mode you add it in. For instance you can only see files added over MTP in MTP mode and MSC in MSC mode."
SanDisk Sansa Fuze Review

Now that's confusing me
confused_face_2.gif

So that would be an error in the review or something Sandisk has fixed in the meanwhile?

Nov 5, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by blub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!,

I've been following some threads on these forums for a while now, finding a lot of info on DAP, headphones and portable amps. I'm about to go and buy my first really decent DAP (being to often to far away from my CD's and home-stereo). To help me decide between the Fuze, the Cowon D2 and a Sony A829 or S639 , I've still got some questions about the Fuze maybe some of you know the answers to:

1/ I remember reading somewhere that you can't make playlists with songs on the internal memory and with songs on the external micro-SD-card together. Is this true??

2/ I've also read that the player is UMS and MTP, but that in one mode, you can't play songs added in the other mode! :s As I suppose this is a software limitation, I was wondering if this problem was already fixed?

3/ I know rockbox isn't finalized yet for this player, but I hope it will be one day. Maybe someone with a rockboxed e200 or developping Rockbox knows/can predict this (as I don't want to disturb the developers thread on the rockbox-forum):
a) I was wondering if you can make playlists on the go with Rockbox, than play those playlist back with the original firmware?
b) can you make playlists with both songs on the internal memory and songs on the external micro-SD-card?

4/ does it have a clock with alarm function? (not really necessary, but can be usefull for sleepy-heads on-the-go like me
tongue.gif
)

I'm really liking what I've found about the Fuze, the user appreciations, reviews, memory-expansion, possibilities, price... But I have to admit the two first questions might make me lean more towards another of the above mentionned player
confused_face(1).gif

It's true that in one mode you can't switch the other one and see the files. I've tried it but I only use MSC because I never liked MTP.

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #9 of 9
mh, that's interesting but sad news.

Now, what my choice really might depend on, is whether you can or cannot make .PLA-playlist with Winamp for a Fuze in MSC-mode, with both song-locations (on the internal memory and on the micro-SD-card) in the same playlist!?
Anyone knows if this is possible?
redface.gif

If that works, I think I could live with the other limitations of the Fuze
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back