Sansa Fuze or Cowon D2 Portable!
Aug 10, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #16 of 31
Having had both, I find the Fuze easier to use, primarily because it has a tactile and not a touchscreen interface which is fiddly.

Sound quality-wise it's personal preference. D2 has a crisper, more refined and precise treble, which stands out particularly with strings/guitar sections, on the other hand it comes off a bit weak in the lows and overly accentuated/bright in the highs, both of which can be adjusted for to a varying degree. The Fuze on the other hand has a much warmer and closer sound as opposed to the somewhat distant sounding D2, this is particularly evident with vocal sections. The bass on the Fuze also goes deeper, but on the other hand it has no bass boost function so if you want to make it more prominent, it will dull the rest of the frequency range a tad.

I'd suggest not making a big deal about the size, honestly they're both tiny, light and ultracompact. Nothing like lugging around a H320 I agree
biggrin.gif
then again I still prefer it so I carry it around more often than not.

Aug 10, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #17 of 31
You should also think which headphones you are going to pair the unit with.

I have the Fuze without any eq, with the Sleek Audio SA6 with the Treble ++ port and a modded Bass+ port and it's very detailed and very punchy.

A more fair comparison would be the Fuze to the Iaudio 5...

Aug 10, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by kinkbmxco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone comment on how the D2 feels in the pocket? (I guess its kind of subjective)

It would be nice if the D2 was slightly slimmer, but I don't have any problem with it in my pocket. If you have a mini DV video tape case, the D2 is roughly the same size. The D2 is ever so slightly wider and longer.

Aug 10, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #19 of 31
I had a moist spot under the screen of my d2. I decided I would buy a Fuse as a backup. I only used the Fuse for a couple of days before taking it back. Nothing wrong with it, I just wasn't satisfied with the Fuse after being used to the D2. One main thing I missed was browsing files by folder. Fortunately the moist spot dried up in a couple of days.

Aug 10, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #20 of 31
d2 in pocket is very very small. slimmer? no need.

Aug 10, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #21 of 31
Going through the same dilemna myself. I read the previous thread as well and both players have their pluses and minuses.

My main concerns with the D2 are in using the touch screen, although most people seem to get used to it fairly quickly. I also wonder how the D2 will sound with revealing headphones such as the AT ESW9?

One thing that is important to me is OTG playlisting. Although I tend to listen to albums, I do like to have the ability to start playing a song, and then start queing up the next few songs I feel like listening to. For those that have tried both, which of the two players will be better in this situation?

I'm aware of the D2's shortcomings with regards to playlists, but I don't have any stored anyway - it's the OTG playlisting that is important to me.

Cheers
pauls

Aug 10, 2008 at 9:54 AM Post #22 of 31
What size SDHC does the D2 use? Full size, half, mini? Atm i have a 16GB SDHC card that is gathering dust, it would be great if it could be used to boost a D2 capacity , and make buying one a 'saving'!

BT

Aug 10, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #24 of 31
dont grab the fuze with the westones. I just bought the fuze. Its a great neutral player. goes well with the atrio..

However with the sound sig of the westones (as per what I have read) you need something that you can play around with like the d2 to get the perfect sound you want. imho fuze eq is crap. crap crap crap...u have to go flat.

d2 eq is gold..gold gold gold.

but i want flat.

Aug 10, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4saken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Full size SD.

Excellent ! thats what i have, i neded the micro, so its not been used fully.
Now t get a good deal. BTW is it worth stickng with flac on the d2 ? or does the sq with headphones not really warrant it.

BT

Aug 10, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by pauls /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My main concerns with the D2 are in using the touch screen, although most people seem to get used to it fairly quickly. I also wonder how the D2 will sound with revealing headphones such as the AT ESW9?

I use my D2 with ESW9s. It is abolutely brilliant I must say.
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent ! thats what i have, i neded the micro, so its not been used fully.
Now t get a good deal. BTW is it worth stickng with flac on the d2 ? or does the sq with headphones not really warrant it.

FLAC is overkill. Said it before, say it again, my DAC/Amp cost me $700. You can get a D2 for $150...what does that tell you?

Stick with FLAC if size is no concern, it might be overkill but it'll still be gettting the best out of your D2. I personally use V0 mp3s...32GBs is not quite enough yet to exclusively FLAC-it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back