Sansa Fuze or Cowon D2 Portable!
Aug 9, 2008 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

kinkbmxco

New Head-Fier
So I am pretty set on getting a pair of westone um1 IEMS and I am now looking for something portable to use them with. Right now I have a zen vision M. It has served its purpose well over the past couple years, but I am ready for something else. I want something that is MORE portable than the ZVM. Something I can stick in my pocket and walk around comfortably without a humongous mp3 player protruding from the front/side of my leg.
My very first player was an Iaudio x5 and I loved it until the joystick started going bad. Ive always been a little bit of a cowon fanboy since then, even though its the only player I have ever owned by them. I also am pretty into gadgets and the d2 has a lot more bells and whistles, but honestly I don't know how much I would use them.
I have probably used the video features on my ZVM twice in the last 2 years or so I have owned it.
Music is going to be the primary function of this mp3 player. From what I have read, the D2 can be annoying to navigate. Not in a way that requires a bit of learning and then it's great, but in a inefficient, requires 3 taps to do anything sort of way. This turns me off a little bit.
Honestly an 8gb fuze companied with an 8gb sd card seems to be the most practical decision for me. But a part of me is rooting for the d2. I like it because of its extra features, and the touch screen, the simple design, and the great reviews...
I have heard the d2 is smaller than what most people expect, does it feel bulky in the pocket?
If I switch through artists every song is this going to be something that will get on my nerves?
Accounting for price too, the fuze comes out a head where I can get an 8gb with 8gb sd card for around 140$.
Thats how much I will end up paying for a 4 gb d2.
Help me decide... Is the d2 worth it, and not going to be a pain to lug around in my jean pocket?

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 31
I just went through the same decision process and chose the Fuze for a couple of reasons.

1) Smaller
2) Better Radio
3) Easier to work while in pocket
4) Ability to add extra storage
5) Cheaper

Good luck!

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 31
i like th d2, the fuze looks nice also. but you can expand it also. it is sooo small.

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 31
Only 2 pluses for the Fuze are better radio and cheaper. The D2 is the better sounding and performing player. You really have to try it to hear what a difference it is between the D2 and most other players. Does video much better than the Fuze & also has much better battery life.

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 31
I'm also trying to decide between a Fuze and a D2. I'll most likely end up with a D2 personally but thought I would pass you on to this awesome deal.

Sansa Fuze 8g at Amazon.com

If you scroll down a little bit you will see you can buy the 8g Sansa and a 8g Micro SDHC for $137 together. That's an awesome deal for a 16g player.

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also trying to decide between a Fuze and a D2. I'll most likely end up with a D2 personally but thought I would pass you on to this awesome deal.

Sansa Fuze 8g at Amazon.com

If you scroll down a little bit you will see you can buy the 8g Sansa and a 8g Micro SDHC for $137 together. That's an awesome deal for a 16g player.

Damn,.... that IS a good deal!!!
evil_smiley.gif
I'd think that would be hard to let go me'self!!!!
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #7 of 31
Definitely go with the D2. I absolutely hate my D2 but it does sound better than the Fuze. The D2 has a horribly cumbersome UI but, if sound quality matters to you as much as it does to me, I'd happily live with the D2 over the Fuze.

I hate beating up a DAP like this but it can't be avoided, the sound quality my Fuze produces is horrible.

Aug 9, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 31
Since people like comparing SQ stating the D2 is better...here's a link with someone who has compared the two:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4439753-post4.html

here's the best quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zephyron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both players are on par with one another. In the end of the day, its like asking whether Sennheiser or Grado is better.

Answer: Pointless, as to different people, we have different strokes.

Just decide what kind of sound sig out of a player you want.

Don't let the fanboys misguide you.

I chose the fuze for ease of purchase (thus return), cheaper, and more compact (I keep it in my pocket, the D2 is quite a bit thicker), I also prefer a flat signature, where from what I've read the D2 requires you EQ to make best use of it's SQ. (this can be a good and a bad thing)

Aug 9, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #9 of 31
I'd say the Fuze has better sound if you don't like tweaking the sound, especially if you're using IEMs, while the D2 is more powerful and has better enhancements. In terms of ease of use and simplicity, I think the Fuze is certainly better.

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just went through the same decision process and chose the Fuze for a couple of reasons.

1) Smaller
2) Better Radio
3) Easier to work while in pocket
4) Ability to add extra storage
5) Cheaper

Good luck!

I do not get the radio importance, I don't know about you but I'd like to listen to my own music[with no talking and much higher quality].

Extra storage? Then have you not seen the SDHC slot? Mine currently has a 32GB card in it.

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not get the radio importance, I don't know about you but I'd like to listen to my own music[with no talking and much higher quality].

Extra storage? Then have you not seen the SDHC slot? Mine currently has a 32GB card in it.

Sorry, I totally forgot about the D2's ability to add storage. As far as the radio, I like listening to it once in a while, and where I live, I need all the signal strength I can get.

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #12 of 31
I guess the radio importance is down to preference, I only want talking & sports commentary, which doesn't need much SQ.

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #14 of 31
Hmm, thanks for everyones input, more is appreciated. I am still kind of on the fence. Seems pretty half and half. If the D2 was just a little bit smaller I would be sold for sure. How far is along is rockbox for the D2?
I find the Sansa GUI to be very boring and bland, I like how you can make the D2 more custom..
Can anyone comment on how the D2 feels in the pocket? (I guess its kind of subjective)
Is there anywhere I can actually physically look and play with one? B&M stores dont carry them in the states do they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back