Sansa e280 v1 with Rockbox or V2 for better sound quality?
Feb 2, 2009 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

BuddTX

New Head-Fier
I have a Sansa e280 (8 gig) v1, with a 16 gig MicroSD card (24 gig total). Of course, to use any SD Card larger than 2 gig, you have to RockBox the e280.

I just bought another e280, for a friend, and it is V2. Now version 2 cannot be RockBoxed (currently, rumor is that it will happen soon), but V2 can accept large MicroSD cards, and also supposedly V2 has superior Sound Quality.

Now I am going to try out the V2 Sansa to experience for myself the supposedly better sound quality, although I have to say, V1 with Rockbox and my Westone 3, I have been pretty happy with the SQ.

V2 e280 supposedly has Superior SQ equal to the Fuze and Clip.

I did not know if I should post this here, or anythingbbutipod.com or the sansa forums, but since SQ is the first priority here on head-fi.org, I thought I would start here.

So, any thoughts on V1 with Rockbox, vs. V2 ?

Thanks!

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #2 of 2
Well, I am going to answer my own post!

I listened to the e280 v2 this morning, I do think it has better SQ than the v1, even rockboxed.

However, I have no complaints about v1, so I am going to give the v2 to my friend, and keep my v1 rockboxed Sansa e280.

While it is hard to do A-B-x comparisons, I think the SQ of v2 sounds "fuller", and crisper, with more detail. V1 does not sound bad, it just does not sound quite as full and rich as the v2.

My friend is very intelligent, yet not "into" technology, so using the stock software on the v2 makes more sense, and I do not have to be her only line of support. (And she gets better SQ too!)

I will wait for a 16 gig version of the Sansa Fuze, and wait until a Rockbox supports the fuze too. I will probably wait for a 32 gig MicroSD card too, that would be sweet! 48 gig of storage!

As a left handed person, I really have gotten used to the "upside down" screen option on the Rockbox'ed Sansa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back