Sansa Clip Zip Dead?
Aug 15, 2016 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ZerkMeister

100+ Head-Fier
Everytime I connect my Sansa Clip Zip (which I haven't used for a long long time due to issues) is showing up as
needing formatting but never lets me format.
The computer does not recognize the device.
It does connect to the computer but the screen does not turn on.
Tried various resets, restarts, etc.

Aug 15, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #2 of 9
Have you tried plugging it into a charger and holding the power button for 10 seconds?

Aug 15, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 9
Have you tried plugging it into a charger and holding the power button for 10 seconds?

Yes I have tried that too but nothing happens. The only way I even know it was turning on and off was when it connected to a computer,  but didnt mount.

Aug 16, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #4 of 9
Do you have rockbox on it?
Are you able to see the drive mounted after you connected it to the computer?
Can you turn on the device and select settings from there?
If you don't have rockbox on it, then to be able and see it as a mounted drive it need to have the setting MSC selected in the system settings/usb mode.
If this is the case you could simply copy a firmware file from sandisk to it and as soon as you disconnect it from the copmuter and restart the player it will update the firmware, from within the player you can format it also.

You can also try to run a windows error check on the drive (if you can see it mounted) it might correct error and file corruptions.

Aug 16, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 9
No rockbox on it. I can see the drive but everytime I connect it, it forces me to format it and when i try to it says unsuccessful. Its basically an unaccessible drive but appears mounted.
Cant even change the setting as the screen of the sansa doesnt turn on at all.
Ill try the windows error checking, thats one thing I havent tried.
Will report back on an update.
Thanks for helping out.

Aug 16, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 9
Fails to error check the hard drive because the error check throws it dirrctly into trying to format the drive which always comes back as an error where Windows was unable to format the hard drive = Sansa

Aug 16, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for trying to help, really appreciate it.
Now its officially dead.

Aug 17, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 9
If you know someone with linux and enough knowledge he could probably format it, then you will only have to copy the firmware Sandisk file.
Also the fact that it doesn't turn on might suggest that the battery might be disconnected (sometimes the cable attached from the board to the battery disconnects if it fall down hard or something and need to be resoldered.

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #9 of 9
Oh yea, I read about that. But i recalled today that it was water damage hence why the display wasnt functioning. Considering Ive had this for 3 years or more now.
Thanks i probably will get another in the future and this will help to know for a fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back