Sansa Clip + Yuin PK1
Mar 29, 2008 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

woopididi

100+ Head-Fier
hello everyone
tongue.gif

will the Sansa Clip be able to drive the 150 ohm Yuin PK1s good without an amplifier? i have heard that cowon players can do that, but how about a Sansa Clip?

is the difference in SQ big with Yuin PK1 amped/unamped?

thanks!

Mar 29, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 25
Don't think the clip can do this job. PK1s are really diffcult to drive among all the earphones. But its got a lot potential to improve, it will impress you a lot.

Mar 29, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #4 of 25
Clip has no line out.

You would be amping the signal twice and you could end up inducing distortions and/or noise.

Mar 29, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 25
Not true. You can amp out of HP jack just fine. I do it with my Zune80/Sony DAP and not a problem with distortion, noise or any other issues. I turn the volume on the DAPs to full and adjust using the MiniboxE+.

Sure, having lineout it ideal, but most DAPs can be amped using the HP out without a problem. It's not perfect, but it works. I've done it many times, with my Creative Zen V and a Penguin as well, and it's fine. Not sure if OP wants to carry around an amp, though. Wait and buy the OK2 or OK3, due out by Yuin very soon (check head-direct.com for when they go on sale), as an "improved" PK. I have the OK3s (tested and reviewed them), and they are fine ear buds. Or even look for a used pair of PK2s or PK3s. You can't go wrong. Don't get the PK1s unless you plan on amping, even without a LOD.

Mar 30, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 25
PK1 sounds exactly like the pk3 unamped, straight out of the headphone jack. The only difference is that you need a higher volume with the pk1.

So if you're paying 3x as much for the pk1 if you are not using an amp.

Mar 30, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #9 of 25
no portable player can properly power the pk1s. not the iaudio 7, not the d2, not the clip, not the ipod, not the ipod touch, not the iphone, not the fuze, not the clix, not the sony's, not the samsungs, not the anything.

Mar 30, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #10 of 25
LOL ok... a portable player CAN power the PK1s, just not very well, I'd say 60-70% of it's true potential, with an amp, you get the full 100%. You might get really load volume from the DAP but that doesn't mean your driving them well, it just means your driving them loudly
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #11 of 25
Like I said before the pk1 sounds exactly the same as the pk3 straight out of the headphone jack. Wich is in my opinion already awesome enough. Dont kid yourself...

You'll probally get the idea that the pk1 sounds absolutely crap without an amp wich is not true. You're just paying triple the price when you could get the pk3 instead.

Mar 31, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #12 of 25
I've used the PK-1's straight out of an iriver H140 when I travel light and they sound fine. Volume is around 75% which is higher than usual. The PK-1's sound better with an amp...but they are very acceptable straight up.

If anyone is looking for a yuin and thinks they might get an amp someday, the PK-1's are a good decision (IMO) since you'll be all ready to enjoy that future upgrade.

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've used the PK-1's straight out of an iriver H140 when I travel light and they sound fine. Volume is around 75% which is higher than usual. The PK-1's sound better with an amp...but they are very acceptable straight up.

If anyone is looking for a yuin and thinks they might get an amp someday, the PK-1's are a good decision (IMO) since you'll be all ready to enjoy that future upgrade.

Exactly. For the time being they might sound like the lower end of the line even though you paid 3 times as much, however if your thinking of upgrading to an amp somtime in the future its better to go with the pk1.

Apr 26, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #15 of 25
This is not true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by montell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like I said before the pk1 sounds exactly the same as the pk3 straight out of the headphone jack. Wich is in my opinion already awesome enough. Dont kid yourself...

You'll probally get the idea that the pk1 sounds absolutely crap without an amp wich is not true. You're just paying triple the price when you could get the pk3 instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back