Sansa Clip & Senns HD 238 seek funky portable amp for a rockin threesum!
Mar 5, 2010 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

j0burger

New Head-Fier
Hi guys

I got a Sansa Clip for a present and bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 238s to replace the stock buds. This is my first foray into headfi so I thought I'd post here for advice.

Looking for a headphone amp to add to my lil setup. As most of my listening will be done at home I'm not sure if I SHOULD go portable but considering the size of my Clip I figured they'd go together nicely.

Any thoughts on what route I should take? Do cables (interconnects) make sense at this level?

I should add that I'm still burning the phones in (currently listening to Steely Dan; Arvo Part and Clint Mansell) and that I 'm not 100% happy with the definition of the instruments. I presume this will improve...

Ultimately I'm looking for a headphone amp that will allow me to enhance the sound, more than pump up the volume.

Tnx for any advice.

cheers

Russ (Based in Johannesburg, South Africa)

Mar 5, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 7
RSA shadow. if you can afford it. if i could id buy that or a RSA p-51.
smily_headphones1.gif
good luck. google ray samuels audio. once in a while theyll come up for sale in the for sale forum but not very often.

Mar 5, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 7
Tnx debitsohn; reading the reviews on those .. pssh they sound awesome! Even the Tomahawk reads like a very impressive device.

Straight off... the price is ...double what I paid for my source and phones combined... then add shipping and customs and they may be too pricey for me. Will email 'em and see; tho it may be a few months before I do the deal.

What is your experience with them? I see you have the PA2v2, LD MK II; what are oyur thought on these two?

Mar 5, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 7
pa2v2 is a decent starter amp. i mean it really depends on your budget. if youre looking under 100. look up CMoy amps and pa2v2. anything other than that just seems like fluff to me. at the 100-150 mark there are the Nuforce icon mobile ibasso t3 or t3d. i dont have any experience with either but people say theyre good for the price.
the little dot i thought was great. theypowered my hd650 well enough that i was wow'd by them. i know they werent being pushed to their limits but i was just starting off.

but i doubt youd need a desktop amp for the senns you have.

in summary, if youre lookign for something small and ultra portable, go for the ibasso or nuforce or if you can have someone build you mini^3. not ultra portable but ppl say its good.

Mar 6, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #7 of 7
np. let me know if you have any more questions. im not the most knowledgeable person, but i did do a lot of research for a lot of things in the last couple months. you can also pm me.
smily_headphones1.gif
good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back