Sansa (clip, fuze, zip) vs Cowon (j3, c2) - best sound quality?
Sep 18, 2011 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

SuperTheMando

New Head-Fier
There seems to be a bit of contradictory information around about these players, I can't seem to find a definitive answer as to which is the better player. I have no idea which to get...

All I want is a portable way to play FLACs, and listen with eitherthe  HD25 or the DT1350.

I have no idea about amps, preferably I would like not to have one, but if I need one, what amp with which player will give me the best sound out of these cans? I'm buying the cans last, I want to try them out with the player (and amp if I get one) to finally choose, they're both just so good.

Sep 18, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #2 of 14
The DAPs like S:Flo 2, HM-601, HM-602, HM-801, Sony X1060 has built in AMPs and line-out to connect with external AMPs for better sound quality. But there HP jack sound quality is above than regular DAPs like iPods, Clip +, Archos, X-Fi 2. The AMPs like ALO MK II, iBasso PB2, RSA Mustang, Pico, XM6, Meier Stepdance are highely recommended.

Jan 1, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 14

Quote:
[..] a portable way to play FLACs, and listen with either the  HD25 or the DT1350.

I have tried those phones with Fuze, Clip+ and 2nd gen Shuffle. All combinations go loud enough for me, DT1350 seems best with Fuze, not too enjoyable balance with Shuffle, with Clip+ they seemed grainy (I'm puzzled, but that's what I heard); HD25-1 II better with Shuffle (no lossless files there) and OK with Fuze, - but not for classical, with Clip+ too bassy. I really like Fuze and DT1350 (and T5P more so), but HD 25-1 II with Shuffle is quite some fun. If you get HD 25, you could consider Adidas kitsch (if the price difference is small).

Jan 1, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 14
My first post.

I have both Cowon C2 and Sansa Zip. When I played the same song/radio station with Normal EQ, using TF10
IEM's, Clip sounded really good, compared to Cowon C2. IMO, C2 was not able to drive TF10, and I am not sure
if this is the case with other Cowon players. After this test, the Clip Zip is my primary player, paired with TF10.

To my ears, the BBE settings or the normal setting seemed too low or artificial when compared to Normal setting of
Sansa Clip Zip.

Jan 2, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #6 of 14
Player alone, my S9 beats the clip/fuze because of the eq options you get.

However lod the fuze into an amp and it hammers the cowon.

It boils down to how much you're willing to spend.

They're both capable players.

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
Means you get lower volume (driving power) on your c2 than your sansa zip?

Yes, thats what I think its happening. TF10/c2 combo is muddy and low, when compared to sansa zip.

Quote:
Player alone, my S9 beats the clip/fuze because of the eq options you get.

However lod the fuze into an amp and it hammers the cowon.

It boils down to how much you're willing to spend.

They're both capable players.

Yes, the eq options are too many in C2 as well. I am not sure of what amp would be a good start
to begin with. Would Fiio E7 be a good start ?

I am watching the thread related Ibasso DX100. Based on the price, I might get one. 

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #8 of 14
A good inexpensive option, is sansa fuze with lod and a Fiio E11.

That's how i would do it.

Least it'll give you a taste, personally love my Ibasso P4 warbler, but there's a fair price difference there.

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #10 of 14
From what I've read here, the Clip+ and Zip are same in quality. The zip has slightly higher battery life.

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #11 of 14
My first post.

I have both Cowon C2 and Sansa Zip. When I played the same song/radio station with Normal EQ, using TF10
IEM's, Clip sounded really good, compared to Cowon C2. IMO, C2 was not able to drive TF10, and I am not sure
if this is the case with other Cowon players. After this test, the Clip Zip is my primary player, paired with TF10.

To my ears, the BBE settings or the normal setting seemed too low or artificial when compared to Normal setting of
Sansa Clip Zip.

I find this strange as C2 has sound output of 29Mw+29Mw (16 ohm earphone) which is plenty enough power for my TF10 on any BBE setting and normal.

I don't doubt this player was still restricted from the volume cap we usually remove.

Instructions on how to remove.

Re-install the firmware or remove the PARAM.CFG file. then choose any region but Europe. However, doing so will completely wipe all the settings from your player. Including EQ.

Oct 1, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
From what I've read here, the Clip+ and Zip are same in quality. The zip has slightly higher battery life.

Ok, just got a Zip and rockboxed it.

I'm dumbfounded.

This little player sounds better than my iPod Nano 4G. Tested with the same set of earphones, Sennheiser CX550.
Soundstage is wider.
Vocals are dead center, instrument separation is excellent.

The iPod seems like a rip off now. More than thrice the cost...sheesh.

Oct 1, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Ok, just got a Zip and rockboxed it.

I'm dumbfounded.

This little player sounds better than my iPod Nano 4G. Tested with the same set of earphones, Sennheiser CX550.
Soundstage is wider.
Vocals are dead center, instrument separation is excellent.

The iPod seems like a rip off now. More than thrice the cost...sheesh.

Something made by Apple, not a good value?!  Say it isn't so!  
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back