Sansa Clip+ died... What to get now?
Apr 7, 2015 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

nicholars

Headphoneus Supremus
My Sansa Clip+ battery died... had a good 5+ years out of it, but it does not work anymore...

Is the Sansa Clip+ still the king of budget players? Overall was happy with the sound of it... The interface was OK but could be better...  is there anything better out now?

I don't want to spend more than £30-70, Clip+ 8Gb is £33, should I just buy another Clip+ or get something different?

Are there any MP3 players with a 31 band EQ?

Apr 7, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 14
  My Sansa Clip+ battery died... had a good 5+ years out of it, but it does not work anymore...

Is the Sansa Clip+ still the king of budget players? Overall was happy with the sound of it... The interface was OK but could be better...  is there anything better out now?

I don't want to spend more than £30-70, Clip+ 8Gb is £33, should I just buy another Clip+ or get something different?

Are there any MP3 players with a 31 band EQ?

Clip + or Clip Zip
Install the Rockbox firmware

Sony E series, bigger screen.

Apr 7, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 14
  Does the Sony E series sound better than the Clip+?

I've only owned the Clip Zip (no Rockbox), Sony E465 & E474 DAP (digital audio player).
I consider the three DAP's I've owned to be about equal for audio quality.

Apr 7, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 14
I've come across a sale for the Sony NWZ-E384 and it's priced less than a Sandisk Clip+. Can anyone tell me what the sound quality of the Sony is like compared to the Clip+? My other option is to order an xDuoo X2, but I'm hesitating because of possible reliability issues of this Chinese product. To me the Sony is like a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla. You know that it's a quality, reliable product The xDuoo is like a VW Golf or Mini Cooper. More expensive, more horsepower and nice solid build quality- but possible reliability issues.

Apr 7, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #6 of 14
  I've come across a sale for the Sony NWZ-E384 and it's priced less than a Sandisk Clip+. Can anyone tell me what the sound quality of the Sony is like compared to the Clip+? My other option is to order an xDuoo X2, but I'm hesitating because of possible reliability issues of this Chinese product. To me the Sony is like a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla. You know that it's a quality, reliable product The xDuoo is like a VW Golf or Mini Cooper. More expensive, more horsepower and nice solid build quality- but possible reliability issues.

Where is it priced less than the clip+?

Apr 7, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #7 of 14
I'm in Toronto and it's sale priced at $39.  Regular price is $79.  They don't sell the Clip+ here in Toronto anymore but the Clip Sport with 8 GB was on sale for $39 during the Christmas season.  It hasn't gone that low since that time.  Lowest price I've seen the past 3 months is $44 and regular price is $59.  So basically, the regular price of the Sony is higher than the Clip Sport, but sale price is equal.
So is it worth buying the Sony instead of a Clip?  Main thing I'm concerned with is the sound quality.  Is it as good as the Clip sound quality?

Apr 7, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #8 of 14
  I'm in Toronto and it's sale priced at $39.  Regular price is $79.  They don't sell the Clip+ here in Toronto anymore but the Clip Sport with 8 GB was on sale for $39 during the Christmas season.  It hasn't gone that low since that time.  Lowest price I've seen the past 3 months is $44 and regular price is $59.  So basically, the regular price of the Sony is higher than the Clip Sport, but sale price is equal.
So is it worth buying the Sony instead of a Clip?  Main thing I'm concerned with is the sound quality.  Is it as good as the Clip sound quality?

Don't know about the sony but the clip+ I had (that died) sounded good, I will prob get another one because the Sony has 8gb fixed memory and the clip+ has microSD slot so up to 128gb.... 10-20 FLAC albums and the sony will be full.

Been doing some research and it looks like the Clip+ is still the best for the money... a 64gb MP3 player with good sound quality for £50 (£33 for player £20 for a 64gb microSD card). The Fiio X1 looks good but it is 3x the price of the Clip+.

Aug 24, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #11 of 14
Sorry for a necro but I have the same problem now - the jack on my Clip+ finally gave up (the sound is cutting out, the headphones are fine, I tested it). Where I live I can't find Clip+ in the shops anymore, the "updated" versions Clip Sport and Clip Jam aren't supported by Rockbox anymore (the architecture changed). Can you think of any similar alternatives? I need something tiny with decent battery time but I haven't been following the market :)

Thanks!

Aug 25, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #14 of 14
Yeah, I'd go with a Clip+ again no question, if I could actually find in where I live. From Amazon it would be 70 USD plus shipping and probably some taxes, so I'll probably end up just buying a Clip sport :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back