Sansa Clip+ and Shure SE530 = good choice?
Jul 22, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 11
Errr.. Even if the Sansa Clip+ is a nice player for his price, using it with 300$ iem might not be the best idea of the world.

Anyway, if you plan to do that my bet is that you'll need an amp. So using a LOD on the clip with a nice amp might be the good combo for you.

Jul 23, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #4 of 11
clip+ should do more than fine, they will actually sound better than a lot of high impedance amps and portables. The clip+'s strength is how well it does with sensitive low impedance IEMs like the SE530s. No need for an amp at all, don't buy into it.

Jul 23, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #6 of 11
I have the Clip+ combined with Westone UM3x and it's an excellent portable rig.

The Clip+ is one of the best sounding players around, despite the low price point, and there's absolutely no need for an amp (IMHO amps for IEMs are a complete waste of money - none that I've owned have ever been anything more than useless extra bulk to carry around needlessly).

I've owned more expensive MP3 players than the Clip+ (several models from both Cowon and Sony) and they don't pair up anywhere near as well with my UM3x as the Clip+ does. It's the only combo I've ever had that produces great sound quality with loads of volume but absolutely zero hiss. I can't see that the Shure SE530 and Clip+ combo would be much different.

Go for it and enjoy!

Jul 23, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 11
First of all - with all due respect - to the best of my knowledge Clip+ has no LOD capacity. Secondly, it does play well with my Shure SE535, just well. Clip+ will be the weak link but not a bad choice on the whole.

Jul 23, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 11
The price doesn't matter. Usually the headphones are the more expensive than the source in the portable realm. Clip+ is a good practical source.

Jul 25, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #10 of 11
I have the Clip+ combined with Westone UM3x and it's an excellent portable rig.

The Clip+ is one of the best sounding players around, despite the low price point, and there's absolutely no need for an amp (IMHO amps for IEMs are a complete waste of money - none that I've owned have ever been anything more than useless extra bulk to carry around needlessly).

I've owned more expensive MP3 players than the Clip+ (several models from both Cowon and Sony) and they don't pair up anywhere near as well with my UM3x as the Clip+ does. It's the only combo I've ever had that produces great sound quality with loads of volume but absolutely zero hiss. I can't see that the Shure SE530 and Clip+ combo would be much different.

Go for it and enjoy!

I've experienced the same. The thing about players like the Cowons and Sonys is that they don't do that well with those sensitive BAs like the SE530 or UM3X. The Cowons and Sonys have certain roll-offs while the clip+ is a lot more linear. 

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #11 of 11
I have the Clip+ and Shure combo and I absolutely hate it.  I can't put my finger on it but everything sounds fake no matter the settings: flat EQ, v-shaped EQ, Rockbox EQ, etc.  Yes, I tried it with FLAC.  It sounds like garbage compared to my Walkman / SE530 set up.  It does much better when paired with my Sony MDR-Z700s.  In that case, I barely notice the difference. 

The only good thing about this combo is that you can use the Shures without the extension and just clip the Clip+ on your satchel strap.  It's ultra-portable and convenient.  

This is from the perspective of a Sony lover, so your preferences might differ from mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back