May 11, 2010 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Br777

Headphoneus Supremus
this is a no brainer review

this thing is awesome 
absoultely worth $50

sounds great, definately sounds as good as ipod touch 3g
super easy to use - very intuitive operation
custom eq option is actually good - WHY GOD WHY CANT IPOD MAKE A GOD DAMN CUSTOM EQ! (there i finally got that off my chest)
EQ makes my new yuin ok2's actually sound like they didnt come out of a serial box (yeah, not too thrilled with those)

love drag and drop music system
added 8g micro card, simply plug it in, drag and drop
done
no BS necessary

super small and light

feels solid, i feel like i could drop it and it woud be ok.  maybe not as ok as dropping an ipod, but its not going to crumble under the weight of the other items in my pocket either or from my kung fu grip.

voice recorder FTW!!! (actually the main reason i bought it - so i could take notes while walking and listening to music)

May 11, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 16
Now you just have to try rockbox. If you liked the stock EQ, rockbox will utterly floor you. Think of it like going from a cute girlfriend to someone like adriana lima.
wink.gif

May 11, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #3 of 16
so ive heard, but i dont think rockbox is available for this model yet.

the eq isnt anything to write home about, but it does improve the stock sound, which is better than nothing

May 11, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 16
Any musings on the battery life, with and without the card in it?

I'm looking at this for my next player, but the 15 hour battery life isn't impressive, and I would need to have a 16GB card in it almost all of the time.

May 11, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #5 of 16
I recently bought a Clip+ and installed an 8gb card. I feel much the same as Br777, for the price, it is a great deal. I have been an iPod fan for years and still am. However, the Clip+ is still great. I especially like the fact I can turn otherwise marginal earphones (RE0) into great sounding ones by using the EQ. However, with the small screen, I don't think I want to try and work with too many songs. Scrolling speed is not that great, and it is hard to tell where you are in the list. The other thing the iPod does better is ignore the leading The in Artist names. Just my 2 cents.

May 11, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
I recently bought a Clip+ and installed an 8gb card. I feel much the same as Br777, for the price, it is a great deal. I have been an iPod fan for years and still am. However, the Clip+ is still great. I especially like the fact I can turn otherwise marginal earphones (RE0) into great sounding ones by using the EQ. However, with the small screen, I don't think I want to try and work with too many songs. Scrolling speed is not that great, and it is hard to tell where you are in the list. The other thing the iPod does better is ignore the leading The in Artist names. Just my 2 cents.

I take it, it's not Rockboxed then?  The latest build has made it far more stable than I've ever known it, though there was a weird glitch today when it looped the last 1 second of a song, thought it was part of the track but got stuck in some sort of a loop.

Can't calculate run times on mine as for some strange reason it won't charge over 80%.  :S

May 11, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #7 of 16
cant really say as i havent used it more than a couple hours at a time, and probably wont.

i have no idea of the card being in place will effect the battery life.  I wont ever be removing it unless its to upgrade to a bigger one (which in hindsight i should have just opted for, what was i thinking)

otherwise, my review stands.. great little player especially considering the cost.

my only complaint, and this is really minor, is that the headphone jack is on the side.   while i understand that it makes sense for people who actually wear this thing clipped, it makes it a bit awkward to handle when fiddling with it with one hand.  it just gets in the way and makes it hard to hold.  i would prefer a top or bottom mounted headphone jack for easier operation.  but hey, considering the price, and the great quality of this little guy, im willing to deal with it. :wink:

May 18, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #8 of 16
Indications are that using the card does shorten battery runtime.  Using flac and ogg may also shorten it (more intense cpu demands than mp3).  It hasn't been a problem for me since I usually listen to it near a computer, so I recharge it if the battery gauge starts getting low.  I imagine I could strap a cellular phone battery to the back of it with wires leading inside, and that would triple or quadruple the runtime.

May 18, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #9 of 16
The Sansa Clip+ really is an awesome little DAP. Recently I installed Rockbox and with alot of time and patience to adjust the Rockbox EQ and sound settings this DAP sounds absolutely brilliant and that is with using Senheisser CX300 phones. I can go as far as saying that with Rockbox my Sansa Clip+ beats my Sony X1060 DAP in sound quality. Also battery life is not bad through Rockbox as I went for a long five hours cycle run on my bike and it took 40% of the battery power.

Art

May 18, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #10 of 16
I'm thinking I may have gotten lucky with battery or something. I get much better life than most people have reported and it's close to my e260 in battery life. I get somewhere around 18 hours on full battery. I don't use microSDHC so that probably helps since 8gb is more than enough for a portable player for my use. I haven't used my fuze as much since I got this and it may eventually go.

May 19, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
I'm thinking I may have gotten lucky with battery or something. I get much better life than most people have reported and it's close to my e260 in battery life. I get somewhere around 18 hours on full battery. I don't use microSDHC so that probably helps since 8gb is more than enough for a portable player for my use. I haven't used my fuze as much since I got this and it may eventually go.

Think I know what you mean.  I found in previous versions that it wouldn't fully charge, or so the clip was telling me.  Charging through the original OS seems to fix that. I'll have to run the battery bench at some point.

May 19, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #13 of 16
^
that's pretty interesting considering I bought your clip+ :p The battery meter has been pretty accurate and I easily get more than 6 hours.

May 20, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #14 of 16
if it would have more battery life it would probably be the perfect portable audiophile player.
but the battery life simply die too fast,especially when playing lossless.
one thing that can be done is using a portable USB charger so when the battery dies it will give it more power.   the negative in this is that it will no longer be super portable when using the charger...or will it?

May 20, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
so ive heard, but i dont think rockbox is available for this model yet.

the eq isnt anything to write home about, but it does improve the stock sound, which is better than nothing

Ohyes, it is. I discussed this stuff with them om the IRC and now it's edited and moved to Unstable. (Makes no sense tho since it warks flawlessly)

Got my clip+ a few days ago, and rockboxing went fine. Took one minute, honestly.
The custom EQ is fine, and there is a _****ton_ of settings to play around with.

I can promise you, you won't get dissapointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back