Sanity Check... My system still cutting edge?
Feb 12, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #16 of 21
hi dsavitsk,

Yeah, i'm not sold on the wavelength's sound either, at least until we get a review on the sound vs the technology. But it's certainly a step fwd.

I've thought about the squeezebox but i decided against it for a couple of reasons:

1. MCE has a nicer interface:
2. with mce i can watch tv with my system as well
3. the airport express, reviewed in stereophile still put out 300ps in jitter so i'd expect the squeezebox not to be jitter proof.

Feb 12, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by byronyu
3. the airport express, reviewed in stereophile still put out 300ps in jitter so i'd expect the squeezebox not to be jitter proof.

I don't think it is the solution for everybody, but if what it does is what you need (probably not in your case) it does it very well. There are jitter measurements on the squeezebox site that are considerably better than the apple ones. The apple box is a router first with the audio stuff tacked on. The squeezebox is a very well thought out audio device first with some networking stuff tacked on. Fwiw, I plug mine into the digital in of my Cary cdp, and it sounds just about as good as using the Cary transport. My old soundcard was not even close.

Apr 10, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by byronyu
-I know EAC is supposed to be the best, but i find the WMP interface easy and since i use MCE it's just easier for my library. Beside, with error correction on, would there be a noticable difference?

You might want to make sure that WMP is not doing volume leveling. I believe the default settings add volume leveling tags to the files when ripping, and use the tags to adjust volume during playback.

It may be something you prefer (having everything playback at the same level), but takes some of the dynamic impact away from songs and albums that have very soft and/or very loud passages.

The good thing is, it doesn't hurt to have the volume info embedded in the files, because you can enable or defeat the leveling during playback.

Apr 10, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #21 of 21
With the amount of money you've spent, it sounds like the next realistic upgrade you should look at it your room. Contact someone like Auralex and have them design you a kit to properly treat your walls. Good equipment in a bad room is kinda a waste.

Also, don't get too obsessed with bein "up to date" in the audio world. Things don't change like they do in the PC world. For example B&W's premiere speaker is the Natulus. They are like $30,000 each, need 4 amps per tower to drive them, etc. Serious stuff. IMO, the best speaker period. However for all that, their design is unchanged since their introduction in 1996. They just haven't made any advances. The receantly (like last year) developed diamond tweeters and those might make it in, however that's the first thing in 10 years.

Your PC on the other hand, well that'll last 3 months as top of the line, maybe. You can sink money in that as often as you like pretty much.

If you wanted other upgrade recommendations, first thing (after room) I'd say is speakers. I don't like ribbon speakers, I'm not going to tell you you are wrong for liking them, I jsut think you can do better. Of course I'll recommend what I like and use: B&W. Just decide on how much money you are willing to spend, they have a speaker for you. Their floor standing models start at somewhere around $1000-$1500/pair (I haven't checked lately) for 600 series, they top out at around $60,000/pair for the Natulus. I recommend getting at least the 700 series if you can afford it, as there's a major step up from the 600s. The 800s are, of course, a step up as well, but not as big a one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back