Sangean DT-180V reviews / opinions requested
Oct 10, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #16 of 27
Based on reviews I've read here and on fixup.net, I'm also now considering getting a "2nd" radio, the Sony SRF-S83/S84. The Sangean is good for local stations, but perhaps I'll like the Sony a bit better for getting weaker / distant FM stations. Form factor is still a consideration, which is why I'm not as interested in the Sony Sports radios.

Just to verify, does the Sony SRF-S84 does have a stereo / mono switch?

Edit - Online manuals at sony.co.uk show the SRF-S84 with an AM/FM Mono/FM Stereo switch. Interestingly, the SRF-59 also has a stereo / mono switch for the non-Americas version; the N. America - S. America version substitutes a Local / DX switch (phooey).

Feb 25, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrbdmb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fixup.net's favorite AM/FM pocket radio is the analog Sony SRF-49, SRF-59, SRF-S83, and SRF-S84.

I've lost track of how many SRF-59s i've been through. I've lost at least five over the years, and managed (not sure how) to break a few as well. Which is fairly amazing, given that the little thing is built like a tank.

But I just keep buying another one. The analog, thumb-wheel tuning, in my experience, just blows digital tuners out of the water. Literally none of the small, digitallly-tuned portables that I've tried are able to pull in more than a small handful of the strongest stations.

And I generally do NOT want to hear what they are playing. If I hit the lottery, I would gladly hand the entire prize over to Justin Timberlake if he would agree never to sing again.

I live in Manhattan, which is a multipath-distortion torture chamber. Yet, with the SRF-59, I am able to pull in three different NPR stations, along with a solid group of rinky-dink college stations from around the tri-state area.

And the sound is solid, as long as you keep the volume to roughly 60% or less. Keep the volume down, run the sucker with an amp, and you are in FM nirvana. I have used the SRF-59 both with portable amps and with-- I kid you not-- my main system as a tuner section. I record quite a bit from FM (last I looked that was still legal, but at the rate things are going...) The results are more than good enough to archive on my drive for later enjoyment.

AM reception is poor, unfortunately, but I suspect that has to do with the location more than the radio. AM is generally a tough nut in the city in my experience.

But I fear that this sub-$20 doller wonder may be on its way out. It's been in Sony's product line forever (10+ years?) and it looks increasingly anachronistic on Sony's website alongside all of the digital dreck that people snap up as if it's cocaine. As far as I know, it's the only manually tuned radio they still offer (not entirely sure of that). Point is, in the world of iBling, it just ain't sexy to be an analog, manually-tuned radio. I have heard no rumblings about the SRF-59 being discontinued, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear of it before long.

I mean, why maintain a product just because it works well? Analog? Manual tuning? The other kids will laugh at me!!

Heavy, heavy sigh.

Feb 28, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #18 of 27
I just ordered an SRF-59 from Sony Style for $14.95 with free shipping !!! BTW, ther's free shipping on everything until 3/1. Thank you, Doctor! BTW, I sent the DT-180 back months ago, and I hardly ever send anything back. I can't wait to see if the 59 gets my local community owned 16 watt station. None of my other portable can do it any justice.

Feb 28, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #19 of 27
Saw this thread out of chance. I've used the same SRF-59 for years - at least five I think. I'm shocked that Sony still sells the thing. It's the one AM radio I can actually use reliably on a bus.

Mar 3, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #20 of 27
My ship date is unknown on the SRF-59, it's now showing as out of stock.

Mar 6, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ship date is unknown on the SRF-59, it's now showing as out of stock.

Try looking at Sears. That is where I bought mine. They have it for the same price as sonystyle.com sells it.

I hate to go "off-topic" on my first post, but since we are talking about Sony here, has anyone tried their new table radio, the ICF-M1000? I like to hear any opinions on it.

Thanks,
Tom

Mar 6, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom White /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to go "off-topic" on my first post, but since we are talking about Sony here, has anyone tried their new table radio, the ICF-M1000? I like to hear any opinions on it.

Isn't that this glossy thing that costs close to $200? According to what I read in terms of user opinions, it doesn't sound too great. Man, the guys at Sony must have eliminated their audio engineering knowledge pretty thoroughly.

BTW, I've acquired two more pocket radios in the meantime, Aiwa CR-D6 and Philips AE6775. Both are quite hissy, the Aiwa also has fairly loud power-on pop noise (ouch). So my pocket radio of choice remains the RP2059 with bass boost enabled (works quite well with the ER-6).

Oh, and one can buy quite a few SRF-S54s these days. How good is that one?

Mar 31, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #23 of 27
I got my Sony SRF-59 totday. It's definitly my new favorite pocket radio. It gets 's KAFM, a tiny public 16 watt station better than any other portable, and better than some of my home tuners. Great sound and ergonomics too. I love it.

Mar 31, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom White /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try looking at Sears. That is where I bought mine. They have it for the same price as sonystyle.com sells it.

Thanks,
Tom

If it's the shiny black one they sell at Target, it's way overpriced. Not that bad sounding, but you can do better for that money. I haven't heard the Sangean, but I'd look into it before I bought that Sony.

Mar 31, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #25 of 27
I have a kaito 1103 that has great sound and picks up SW quite well. The headphone out is fantastic. I am not sure which chip they are using but it sounds great with my grado 225's.

Apr 1, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my Sony SRF-59 totday. It's definitly my new favorite pocket radio. It gets 's KAFM, a tiny public 16 watt station better than any other portable, and better than some of my home tuners. Great sound and ergonomics too. I love it.

My blood ran cold when you posted that the SRF-59 was out of stock on the Sonystyle site. I was seriously worried that it was in the obnoxious limbo to which some vendors consign legacy products. They continue to list it; it's just never available. That little scare reminds me that I have to go online and snag a spare.

Anyway, glad you got your hands on one, and glad you like it.

One caution: be careful with the battery cover. My current SRF-59 is minus the cover, and most of my previous ones ended up similarly undressed. This doesn't affect performance, but it does increase the risk of the battery going AWOL. Which is annoying when, like me, you use 15-minute rechargeables at $5 a pop.

Apr 1, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My blood ran cold when you posted that the SRF-59 was out of stock on the Sonystyle site. I was seriously worried that it was in the obnoxious limbo to which some vendors consign legacy products. They continue to list it; it's just never available. That little scare reminds me that I have to go online and snag a spare.

Anyway, glad you got your hands on one, and glad you like it.

One caution: be careful with the battery cover. My current SRF-59 is minus the cover, and most of my previous ones ended up similarly undressed. This doesn't affect performance, but it does increase the risk of the battery going AWOL. Which is annoying when, like me, you use 15-minute rechargeables at $5 a pop.

The battery cover is non removeable now. It's on a hinge. Anyway, I lined up my srf37, 85 sports radio and my new 59 and plugged in my K81dj. I adjusted the headphone cord/antenna for good sound and stereo seperation on the 16 watt station I love on the 59, then I switched to the 85 -NOTHING BUT STATIC AND HISS, then I switched to the 37, NOTHING BUT STATIC AND HISS, THE STATION DID NOT EXIST! End of story. 14.95 including shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back