SanDisk Sansa: e200 vs. Clip
Dec 12, 2007 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Hancoque

Head-Fier
I saw many people here complaining about the audio quality of the e200 while praising the Clip for its superiority in this regard. I ordered both from Amazon and did an RMAA test. Both players produce very similar results:

e280
Clip
e280 & Clip (directly compared)

Afterwards I recorded a "normal" track from the devices and compared them at the same loudness with ReplayGain to compensate for different input levels. I couldn't really hear a difference.

This is how I did the tests:
  1. created the test sample at 44.1 kHz, 16-bit
  2. connected the players via line-in to an Edirol UA-1EX USB sound card (recording knob at maximum)
  3. copied the test sample to the players and set the output volume to the maximum non-clipping setting (each player's volume was at about 75%)
  4. recorded the players' outputs at 44.1 kHz, 32-bit Float* via ASIO
[size=xx-small]* I think in reality this is 24-bit Int[/size]

Dec 12, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #2 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hancoque /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw many people here complaining about the audio quality of the e200 while praising the Clip for its superiority in this regard. I ordered both from Amazon and did an RMAA test. Both players produce very similar results:

e280
Clip
e280 & Clip (directly compared)

Afterwards I recorded a "normal" track from the devices and compared them at the same loudness with ReplayGain to compensate for different input levels. I couldn't really hear a difference.

This is how I did the tests:
  1. created the test sample at 44.1 kHz, 16-bit
  2. connected the players via line-in to an Edirol UA-1EX USB sound card (recording knob at maximum)
  3. copied the test sample to the players and set the output volume to the maximum non-clipping setting (each player's volume was at about 75%)
  4. recorded the players' outputs at 44.1 kHz, 32-bit Float* via ASIO
[size=xx-small]* I think in reality this is 24-bit Int[/size]

OK now do a loaded test while driving headphones. Get a y splitter and 16ohm headphones. Connect the Y-Splitter to the DAP audio out and to one end of the splitter connect the 16ohm headphones and to the other end connect to the sound card probably with same loop back cable you're using now and re-test.

You will see the difference between Clip and e280 (if any).

You just tested how well the DAP drives a line-in port of a sound card and pretty much any dap will do quite well in this area. Driving headphones is where the difference between DAPs becomes apparent.

Dec 12, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #3 of 33
maybe you should try to compare them with your ears, not by benchmark ...

is that e280 v2 ??

Dec 12, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brestinder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe you should try to compare them with your ears, not by benchmark ...

is that e280 v2 ??

Comparing by ear is only good to determine if you personally like the sound. Benchmark however is to let others see a point of reference from which they can determine if they would like the sound. And so see what trips up the player (if anything).

Dec 12, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by sigsegv0x0B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK now do a loaded test while driving headphones. Get a y splitter and 16ohm headphones. Connect the Y-Splitter to the DAP audio out and to one end of the splitter connect the 16ohm headphones and to the other end connect to the sound card probably with same loop back cable you're using now and re-test.

I've ordered a y-cable and will re-test both players with headphones attached. But I don't have a pair with exactly 16 Ohms impedance. One has 21 Ohms and the other has 32 Ohms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brestinder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is that e280 v2 ??

It's a v1.

Dec 12, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

I've ordered a y-cable and will re-test both players with headphones attached. But I don't have a pair with exactly 16 Ohms impedance. One has 21 Ohms and the other has 32 Ohms.

It's a v1.

You can drop by a local Wallmart or whatever crap-shop you got near by and pick up 16ohm headphones for under $10. Just check Impedance on the box.

Dec 17, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

I'm still waiting for the cable. It should arrive tomorrow.

Cool let us know. It's always nice to see someone doing loaded tests on these devices.

You will most likely see the bass start to roll off on the e-series and cross talk performance will most likely drop on both.

Dec 18, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #11 of 33
As you can see yourself the clip performance is better. The frequency response is more linear. So clip is better. But I do hope you understand now how much difference this makes.

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #13 of 33
As the impedance goes up the current to drive the headphones will be less and it will become "more" voltage dependent so sooner or later the e280 will become quite close to the clip.

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by sigsegv0x0B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As you can see yourself the clip performance is better. The frequency response is more linear. So clip is better. But I do hope you understand now how much difference this makes.

Yes, the Clip is the clear winner. But do you think that a loss of 2 dB at 50 Hz compared to 1 kHz is really bad? For me this still seems to be a quite small amount.

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #15 of 33
I find it's audible for me in Shure E4c.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back