Sandisk Sansa Clip+ 8Gb + FiiO E5 - Should i go for it?
Apr 7, 2010 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

katsuru

Head-Fier
Hello all,

I bought a klipsch S4 IEMs last week, and i have been using them along with my Motorola Milestone as Source, but i still don't feel that realized with the sound experience, the S4 are doing just fine, but the Milestone isn't kinda delivering what i am looking for.

I did a small search here on the forum, and i came up with this DAP: Sana Clip+ 8Gb, and after i found this FiiO amps, which kinda made me curious due to the price they are selling for.

I am looking for a clean sound with Bass, lots of it, everywhere and in every music, with my milestone i am missing that, some musics are just hella bassy, others its like bass isn't there at all.

Will the FiiO E5 help improving the sound in a way that i will clearly notice? Does some1 have this setup so i can see a couple of pictures of the FiiO next to the Clip+ ( just trying to compare sizes ).

By the way, i am looking for the best i can get for my reduced budget, Clip+ + FiiO E5 really fits my budget, that's why i didn't search further.

I am Just waiting for some replys so i can make my mind and order them! The faster the better ;D

Best regards.

Apr 7, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 22
can some1 please help me out? i just need a green light to order these 2 new toys. And i would really like to do it as soon as possible.

Best regards

Apr 7, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 22
Here you go, I've got mixed feelings about the Clip+ - I'd really like to say I love it, but in it's standard format with the original firmware it's okay, just okay IMHO.

Don't get me wrong for the money I paid it's great £19.99.

However I prefer the sound of my 4th gen iPod Nano, but then the Nano isn't exactly in the same price bracket so it's perhaps unfair to make that comparison.

Now if I put Rockbox on the Clip+, does it live up to the hype, well yes - Oh hell yes it sounds a whole lot better, but Rockbox isn't exactly stable at the moment (see the other threads both here and on ABI). So be prepared for constant updates and resets.

Yes the Fiio E5 add's bass to the Clip+, but again it start's to hiss, however this is very much down to you're choice of headphone / IEM.

Bottom line: if you're on a limited budget & prepared to play with Rockbox, forget the Fiio E5 as to be frank the EQ is that good with Rockbox, the E5 becomes a pointless waste of money for the benefits you'll gain from it.

Hope this helps.

Apr 7, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 22
Awesome info you got there.

So you saying the E5 doesn't bring benefits at all to the Clip+? And how is the hiss? anything annoying or inaudible while music plays?

My IEMs are Klipsch S4, if i rockbox my clip+ and use it along with a E5 there is no gains at all? Is it the same as using it Rockboxed without the E5?

Btw can you tell me where you got that deal for 19pounds? If it is the 8Gb or 4Gb than it is a hell of a deal no doubts!

Best regards

Apr 7, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 22
The E5 is of benefit if using the standard firmware for sure, it definitely makes a difference for the better, the hiss is noticeable only when pausing music or between tracks - Nothing Major but it's noticeable.

The EQ of the Rockbox is so good I didn't feel the need for the added bulk of the E5 to be honest.

2gb for £19.99 in store at some Currys branches, the offer isn't shown on the website, in fact they've removed all Sansa players from the site completely the last time I looked. Carphone Warehouse online sell 8gb micro SD cards for £12.99 which is the cheapest deal I've seen in the UK.

Apr 7, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by maporter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2gb for £19.99 in store at some Currys branches, the offer isn't shown on the website, in fact they've removed all Sansa players from the site completely the last time I looked. Carphone Warehouse online sell 8gb micro SD cards for £12.99 which is the cheapest deal I've seen in the UK.

Know what you mean. I reserved it at my local Currys and it went through no problem for the 4GB one, then got a call the following morning saying there was a stock mistake and none were in stock. The only ones they had in stock were the 8GB ones, so I plumped for one of those for £45. :S

Apr 7, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 22
Ok i ordered the Clip+, and i am leaving the E5 behind.

Just one more question though, about Rockbox, How easy/hard is it to rockbox it? I am pretty used to Modding and such stuff with cellphones, but never did it b4 with DAPs, taking in mind Clip+ is still new, rockbox might not be that mature/safe or is it already? what are the known issues of rockboxing this DAP? I was reading somewhere else that it is still Read-Only, what do they mean about that? is it like i wont be able to write to the SDcard?

best regards

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #9 of 22
I like the Clip + as it is standard on flat equalizer. For a DAP it's very good considering the bang for your buck ratio. The sound through my HD428 is good enough for me to enjoy my music, your headphone matters in that aspect.

It's easy to work with and my only gripe with it is the sound volume, on maximum it sounds soft although I've gotten used to it. It's an impressive little device, especially regarding price.

For me the Fiio E5 added little that impressed me although the extra bass and volume were nice. It's cheap enough to just try and always handy when needed.

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #10 of 22
i ended up getting a E5 for my self, i am not expecting much from that little gadget (E5), but who knows... I will need to hear em both together first.

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #11 of 22
My clip+ 8gb just arrived, i am testing it at the moment... and all i can say is WOW! fresh out the box, just played with the EQ a bit and it sounds just AWESOME! Lots of bass with my klipsch s4 ! It kinda gave my S4 a new life and i didn't even burned em in yet...

Damn i am loving this player.. such a little thing with such a powerful sound...

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #12 of 22
Glad you're enjoying it, have fun !

P.S. Don't forget to post some pictures, there's a whole thread full of rigs etc.

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #13 of 22
I will as soon as my E5 arrives ( which i ordered just to have until rockbox gets reliable enough for the clip+ ) Until then i think i will leave my Klipsch S4 Burning in with the Clip+

Damn the SQ really makes my Motorola Milestone look like a GameBoy next to a PSP
biggrin.gif

Offtopic: I think every Hifi handler should pay a % of their monthly benefits to Head-Fi ... Since i browse this forum, most of the time just to make some readings, i spent almost 200€ in IEMs/DAP/AMP which for me is A LOT of money already for such a purpose ( i am not an audiophile ... i guess.. )
beyersmile.png

Apr 10, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #14 of 22
the E5 has decent bass boost which might be subtle to some. If you like bass, you should have gone for the sony instead.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by AhhHoNG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the E5 has decent bass boost which might be subtle to some. If you like bass, you should have gone for the sony instead.
smily_headphones1.gif

which sony?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back