sandisk c250 owners: rockbox help
Mar 20, 2008 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

xyz

100+ Head-Fier
recently aquired one of these, have read the v1 is rockboxable while the v2 is not. i don't know how to tell what kind mine is, and also have never installed rockbox. help would be much appreciated right now.

Mar 20, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 8
Go into Settings and check your firmware. If the version starts with 01 it is definitely a V1, if it starts with 03 (I think) it is a V2. Currently, only V1s are Rockbox-able. If you can, Rockbox it, it makes it a much better player.

Mar 21, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 8
You can find installation instructions in the Rockbox Manual, which you can check out here: Rockbox - Daily Built Manuals

There are basically three steps:

1. You need to put your player into MSC mode in the original firmware.

2. You need to install the Rockbox bootloader, which is the low-level code that tells your player to load Rockbox.

3. You need to install the Rockbox firmware itself, which is known as a "build."

The manual explains how to do each of these. If you have specific questions, please ask.

Mar 21, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 8
Guess I am an idiot. I tried to rockbox my e270 ($49 refurb via Woot!). Despite following directions, all I got was a black startup screen that harkened back to the days of DOS. I finally got frustrated and just reverted back to the original Sansa firmware. My issue is every time I turn the thing on, it refreshes the database (a two-minute process). I googled the problem, but none of the fixes seem to work. Just decided to live with it. Someone online says if you use the sd card, it refreshes every time. But when I remove the card, it still refreshes.

The e270 has 6GB plus I added the aforementioned 2GB sd card. Good price for a decent 8GB DAP with FM, voice recorder, etc.

Anyway, Rockbox is a little too geeky for my limited talents. And not even sure if it would get rid of that refresh database annoyance.

Mar 21, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 8
i'm still really confused and probably doing this out of order but i believe i downloaded the bootloader and it said no c200 found and to ensure i have it in UMS mode. how do i do that?

Mar 21, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #7 of 8
UMS mode is the same as MSC mode. You do it in the original firmware:

Settings --> USB Mode --> MSC.

The later versions of the Sansa firmware don't have this option. If your version doesn't have this option, then you need to downgrade the original firmware to an earlier version that does, which is a little trickier and involves using what's called "recovery mode."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back